Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 2, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #28,876 of 149,105
I just looked, and the Lyr 2 in low gain mode has unity gain (no gain). The Magni 3 might still be too much.

Maybe you should put the Lyr 2 into the bedroom.
But I also like to use that from time to time as a preamp to the Vidar instead of the Saga, when I want the neighbors to hear what I'm listening to. If the Magni3 really does track better at the low end I would probably be really happy with that, and I could move the Magni2Uber to work to switch off with the Vali2.

Of course I'm curious about the Mojo as well, though that may be heresy to say in the Schiit forum.

Thanks for the info!

Dana

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #28,877 of 149,105
So if the magni 3 was the asgard 3 prototype, then safe to say the magni 3 is better??
Darn you schiit, I was already to pull the trigger on the asgard, but your saying I should just get the magni 3??
Better power for Senn hd650s???

Does anyone own both amps that can do a characteristics comparison? $250 is still cheap enough, if it warrants some sonic benefit, I don't want to just assume $99 is better. I have vali 2 and would like to lose the tube hassle.

Thks

I have an Asgard 2 and love it with my Senn 598’s. I have not heard the Magni 3 so can not answer your question.

In reading a number of other responses that seem to dismiss the Asgard 2 even though they do not have both I felt I needed to pass on my recommendation not to dismiss it.

It like all Shitt stuff performs at a much higher level than the price!

For me and my ears it continues to re-enforce my experience that true class A amps sounds better than any class AB amp given comparable implementations (of course a poorly implemented class A will sound worse than a great implemented class AB).

Take the advice from only those that have heard both and take it with a gain of salt given that your ears are not their ears and their system is not your system.

If possible hear them both and then decide even if this means ordering both and returning the one you like least.

For me if I order a Magni 3 it will be in addition to the Asgard 2 and not as a replacement and for use in a more portable use case.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #28,878 of 149,105
A question for the tech guys. Auditioned the Magni 3 and really liked it. I want a balanced amp to use with the Pono Player's balanced outputs. A poster on another forum said I could buy two Magni 3, set their volume controls to max, and with the proper balanced cabling it would work. Send 1 Channel to each amp. Little monoblock Magni 3's. Volume would be controlled from the Pono Player. Would this work?

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #28,879 of 149,105
A question for the tech guys. Auditioned the Magni 3 and really liked it. I want a balanced amp to use with the Pono Player's balanced outputs. A poster on another forum said I could buy two Magni 3, set their volume controls to max, and with the proper balanced cabling it would work. Send 1 Channel to each amp. Little monoblock Magni 3's. Volume would be controlled from the Pono Player. Would this work?

That would be some funny cabling, but yes, it should work just fine.

If you go this route you need to post a picture, as I'd like to see the balanced -> 4xRCA and then 2x1/4 plugs -> headphone cables.

Feb 2, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #28,881 of 149,105
I don’t know the answer but I love it.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #28,882 of 149,105
Let's see if I can rephrase my q...
What would give me a more opposite side of the spectrum in sound than the vali 2?
A crisp, clean extended freq response vs rolled off at the highs? Solid state only...for sennhd6xx

Asgard 2 or magni 3 ??
Valhalla is out, because I do not want 2 tube amps

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #28,883 of 149,105
Let's see if I can rephrase my q...
What would give me a more opposite side of the spectrum in sound than the vali 2?
A crisp, clean extended freq response vs rolled off at the highs? Solid state only...for sennhd6xx

Asgard 2 or magni 3 ??
Valhalla is out, because I do not want 2 tube amps

I would look at the Asgard 2, because the Magni 3 is mellow in the treble also. But the Asgard 2, while brighter, doesn't have sharp treble, either.

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #28,885 of 149,105
I would look at the Asgard 2, because the Magni 3 is mellow in the treble also. But the Asgard 2, while brighter, doesn't have sharp treble, either.
Mellow treble = rolled off I presume?? That is helpful if I'm reading that correctly?
So asgard will give more extended freq? I equate the vali 2 with turning cds into a more rolled off analog sound with less details in the highs, which is a cool sound. Now I would like a more clear digital sound.

Better detail with the asgard2 then...

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #28,889 of 149,105
Our radio station was pretty sch**ty.

Many college radio stations are but then they don't have much of a paid staff or a budget. We had an FM and an AM transmitter that were donated by a local station when they bought new ones. But I spun nothing but 33/1/3 vinyl on a surplus turntable whose make I can no longer remember. We were bad.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #28,890 of 149,105
Mellow treble = rolled off I presume?? That is helpful if I'm reading that correctly?
So asgard will give more extended freq? I equate the vali 2 with turning cds into a more rolled off analog sound with less details in the highs, which is a cool sound. Now I would like a more clear digital sound.

Better detail with the asgard2 then...

I guess some people would call the Magni 3's treble rolled off. I hear it as very smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back