Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 9, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #26,401 of 149,552
If you've had trouble getting ahold of someone, or getting their attention, in the past few weeks--try them again. We're trialing a helpdesk right now.

Please note that our people do sleep.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 9, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #26,404 of 149,552
FWIW, I'd be glad to offer a suggestion that I've personally used for approximately 6-8 years, self-managed or hosted.

Please. We're trialing Zendesk right now, which integrates right with Gsuite.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 9, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #26,407 of 149,552
I'm spending the day evaluating helpdesk software. Please shoot me now.
As in pm or 45 magnum...? :ksc75smile:

There is (more often than not) a tremendous difference between axing (yeah...I spelt it that way on porpoise) and questioning. The former is to play a mean electric guitar. And the latter? To prevent it down the road.

Or some such nonsense. I am after all, a toad of very little brain. Having admitted that I shall state that I admire the company you and Mike have built. You employ Amuricans. That is far more than I can of my self let alone several other companies.

Lest some one label me a Schiit sycophant, please note that I am not placing any one on a pedestal. My mother taught me that placing some one, any one on a pedestal assures that they will one day look down upon you. Just look at frAuidiophile high (rear) end oriented companies. Their egos are too big to allow the little guy in. Fluff and nonsense. Smoke and mirrors. Musicalifragelisticexpealidocious. Oh...And VU Meters. I betcha they gots dem VU Meters too.

I am ramblin'...Again.

FTFY :ksc75smile: and, lay off dem VU meters. There has to be some way to compensate having the on/off switch on the back.....:L3000:

If you've had trouble getting a hold of someone, or getting their attention, in the past few weeks--try them again. We're trialing a helpdesk right now.

Please note that our people do weep.
FTFY...:ksc75smile:
FYI, New help desk employee....
upload_2017-11-10_14-33-20.jpeg

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #26,409 of 149,552
And... what about the most interesting item I was able to spot in your magnificent collection, namely: "Scottish Drinking and Pipe Songs"? :sunglasses::sweat_smile:
Joking aside, I made some research, and it looks like it's regarded as a good recording of fine Scottish songs. Would you mind to share your thoughts about this release?
Thank you!

It's an Alan Lomax field recording of traditional Scots songs. And bagpipes. Scots like to sing when they get drunk (I used to live across from a Legion, and learned the words to the first verse of Flower of Scotland by hearing drunken vets singing it at closing time as they staggered home up the lane - they were out of earshot by the time the second verse rolled around). These are songs you might hear later in the evening at small country pubs (not so much in the big cities). And bagpipes. Although it's not the reason I bought the disc, you might consider that the sound has audiophile credentials, since the recordings are done very simply in real spaces, and you can "hear" the space in the recording as the vocals reflect off walls, if that's your thing. And bagpipes. If you're of a certain age and background, these songs might bring a tear to your eye. For the rest of humanity, they're the sort of thing you might use to extract confessions from miscreants. And bagpipes. Interestingly enough, listening to the songs you can hear echoes of Inuit throat singing, First Nations chants, and Appalachian folk music. I don't know if they tap into some thread of universal human music, or if these kinds of songs have spread their influence to other parts of the world over the centuries, but I find that kind of interesting. And bagpipes.

If I thought people would be examining the pic that closely, I would have taken a better version, not a fuzzy handheld with bad lighting. Thanks for your attention!

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #26,410 of 149,552
I'm more interested in the album titled "Screaming Fish" by Grand Theft Marmot?

Also, tad curious with all of the black crosses / plus signs on the CD album spines. Noted as a ripped CD perhaps? :sunglasses:

That's it in a nutshell. I've ripped parts of my collection three times now. Once in mp3, once in lossless, and once again after the Great Hard Drive Crash of 2012. The sharpie marks represent various generations of ripping. Some of them are not yet re-ripped... :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #26,411 of 149,552
Found an answer to my own question from a post by @Baldr in, um, another audio forum -- including here just in case anyone like me has missed it somehow:

"Target price is somewhere between a Jil and 4490 Bifrost. Yeah!"

That'd be between $199 and $399, even the upper end of which would seem to me to be ridiculously good. :astonished:

Main reason I care is my nephew is a budding audiophile who has been collecting vinyl and needs a turntable and I was going to get him one for Christmas, but now thinking I may delay this until the new year when Sol is available.
Whoa, you gotta go back and actully read that post. That "target price" is for a second tone arm, also a tonearm that could be used with other plinths/tables. SOL is going to be around $699 IIRC. There is garbage worse than a $70 1970'S Technics selling for more than a grand out there as the competition.

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #26,412 of 149,552
Cue the insufferably whiney Schiitites™ about how I need to "stay outta the Schiit thread" and "go buys sumpin' else with a switch up front", blah, blah, blah. Ad nauseam.

That would be a whole hell of lot better than bitching about power switch locations...

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #26,413 of 149,552
I would agree that even for myself, I stream far more than I listen to CDs nowadays for sure. However, when I do listen to CDs, I would love to have a high-quality, compact (e.g. Bifrost size), transport-only that i could feed into my Gumby, that matched my other Schiit gear. Of course also for a great price like most Schiit gear. If Mike wanted to throw in a Modi-level DAC in order to make it a bit more flexible for some folks, sure that's fine as long as it didn't degrade the performance of the transport side or significantly impact the price.

Maybe they could repurpose the DAC plugin module from the Jotenheim: buy the transport, if you want it to be a player, add the 4490 DAC module for $100.

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #26,415 of 149,552
Whoa, you gotta go back and actully read that post. That "target price" is for a second tone arm, also a tonearm that could be used with other plinths/tables. SOL is going to be around $699 IIRC. There is garbage worse than a $70 1970'S Technics selling for more than a grand out there as the competition.

Thanks for the heads up -- totally misread that! $699 makes more sense just given my cursory research on turntables (I have zero interest in it myself so I know basically nothing about them). That does probably put it out of the range of what we will get for my nephew, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back