Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 9, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #26,388 of 149,582
I'm spending the day evaluating helpdesk software. Please shoot me now.

(Yeah, but it's time.)
@Jason Stoddard

I understand that at a certain number of cases per day and client base a sane company that wants to stay sane starts using software or whatever else they think will work to deal with the increasing drain on resources. From a user's point of view this is bad because it is a sign that Schiit is beginning to go in the commode with all the rest of the big companies that have poor user support. It doesn't have to be that way, I have for example always had great service from Apple. I sometimes feel guilty about how long they will take trying to fix your problem.

My question for you is have you wondered if Schitt is getting so big and so successful that it will no longer be fun for you, Mike and the others who have been with you for a while now. Just saying...

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #26,389 of 149,582
@Jason Stoddard

I understand that at a certain number of cases per day and client base a sane company that wants to stay sane starts using software or whatever else they think will work to deal with the increasing drain on resources. From a user's point of view this is bad because it is a sign that Schiit is beginning to go in the commode with all the rest of the big companies that have poor user support. It doesn't have to be that way, I have for example always had great service from Apple. I sometimes feel guilty about how long they will take trying to fix your problem.

My question for you is have you wondered if Schitt is getting so big and so successful that it will no longer be fun for you, Mike and the others who have been with you for a while now. Just saying...

It's actually not a drain on resources...it's just that we're getting an increasing number of people who say "I never got a response from you." A helpdesk provides a way to track the responses. It also makes everything visible--increasingly important when someone might go from Nick to Amy and back again. Other than that, nothing will change.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 9, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #26,390 of 149,582
Currently experimenting with a fingertip toggle (like the ones on the front of Jotunheim) and a push button. We'll see which one wins when the parts come in next week, then we'll revise the stamping tool to match.

The pushbutton could possibly be cat-activated (cativated?)

Any luck on finding something worthwhile on this front?

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #26,391 of 149,582

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #26,392 of 149,582
It's actually not a drain on resources...it's just that we're getting an increasing number of people who say "I never got a response from you." A helpdesk provides a way to track the responses. It also makes everything visible--increasingly important when someone might go from Nick to Amy and back again. Other than that, nothing will change.

I could see how that kind of software would be very useful and actually improve service. I'm also glad to hear nothing will change--says he who has never had to call Schiit for service. The clue is your comment that service is not a drain on resources. Companies that think it is a drain are on the way to poor service.

Also pleased that you are not about to hire an offshore customer service company which staffs itself with non-native speakers who are hard to understand and know nothing about your products. I'm also not a big fan of multi-layer phone answering systems. But I wouldn't have expected Schiit to go in either of these two directions. I hope it stays that way.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #26,393 of 149,582
I could see how that kind of software would be very useful and actually improve service. I'm also glad to hear nothing will change--says he who has never had to call Schiit for service. The clue is your comment that service is not a drain on resources. Companies that think it is a drain are on the way to poor service.

Also pleased that you are not about to hire an offshore customer service company which staffs itself with non-native speakers who are hard to understand and know nothing about your products. I'm also not a big fan of multi-layer phone answering systems. But I wouldn't have expected Schiit to go in either of these two directions. I hope it stays that way.

Yeah, this is more of a "fixing problems" thing.

For now, tech support is via two people, both of whom own and use a lot of Schiit gear, so they absolutely, ah, "Know their Schiit." (However, please note that they still aren't going to be baited into answering subjective questions--other than their own opinions--or answering really bizarre questions--like the one we got yesterday about the Saga output jack metallurgy). Both of them have other duties, and neither are overloaded, as we're typically looking at 75-100 emails per day. What adds complexity though, is that we also have two other people on the orders and returns side of things, and sometimes all 4 need to coordinate.

Our previous "management" system for answering inquiries was beyond laughable--as in, no management, so we had an increasing number of incidents where nobody knew who was on first, and things were dropped. A helpdesk allows us to immediately eliminate all of these collisions and (potential) missed emails or miscommunications.

Now, of course, a helpdesk can do lots and lots of other things, but that's not what we're looking at the system for. It's just a management and visibility tool.

Last edited:

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #26,394 of 149,582

For now, tech support is via two people, both of whom own and use a lot of Schiit gear, so they absolutely, ah, "Know their Schiit." (However, please note that they still aren't going to be baited into answering subjective questions--other than their own opinions--or answering really bizarre questions--like the one we got yesterday about the Saga output jack metallurgy). Both of them have other duties, and neither are overloaded, as we're typically looking at 75-100 emails per day. What adds complexity though, is that we also have two other people on the orders and returns side of things, and sometimes all 4 need to coordinate.

Our previous "management" system for answering inquiries was beyond laughable--as in, no management, so we had an increasing number of incidents where nobody knew who was on first, and things were dropped. A helpdesk allows us to immediately eliminate all of these collisions and (potential) missed emails or miscommunications.

Now, of course, a helpdesk can do lots and lots of other things, but that's not what we're looking at the system for. It's just a management and visibility tool.

Allow me to be the first to say, you guys know your Schiit.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #26,395 of 149,582
OK. I have to get the ball rolling because I know there's going to be a few puns out there with regard to Schiit's help service, so I'll kick this one off with the following slogans that Jason can put on Nick's and Amy's work shirts;

"Our Service is the Schiit"
"We Fix Schiit"
"Got The Schiits? Call Me"
"Proctologist"

EDIT : "Our Schiit Don't Stink", "Our Service Is Schiit Hot", "Love Fixing Schiit"

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #26,396 of 149,582
I'm spending the day evaluating helpdesk software. Please shoot me now.

(Yeah, but it's time.)

Is Cerberus still a name in the game? I used that at my company before I sold it......

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #26,397 of 149,582
As someone whose last four emails remain unanswered, even though the first was a response to Nick, who responded to me after sending my original email again, I appreciate this step. Even if you add buttons like "No can do", "Ridiculous request", "Annoying customer" with canned responses, just so I know when there's no point in following up.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #26,398 of 149,582

Does the software have a click to Ableza button?:gs1000smile:

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #26,399 of 149,582
As someone whose last four emails remain unanswered, even though the first was a response to Nick, who responded to me after sending my original email again, I appreciate this step. Even if you add buttons like "No can do", "Ridiculous request", "Annoying customer" with canned responses, just so I know when there's no point in following up.

Everyone has been informed that "no answer" is not acceptable. There's gonna be plenty of, "We don't comment on that," though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back