Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 9, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #26,371 of 151,557
I transcribe CDs played by a Sony disk drive mounted on my Mac using software that error checks in the bit perfect copy mode. I then playback ripped files thru Eitr-->Gumby or RP3/HiFiBerry--> Gumby or Mojo. I may be missing something but why would I want a high quality transport? Is somebody still listening to CDs in real time?
Yes!!!!!

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #26,372 of 151,557
If you source is HDMI then you are stuck using outputs from your receiver. In no case will it be the same as HT bypass. Does your receiver have a zone out?

Denon AVR X2100W
It's got a Zone2 which I believe is an analog pre-out.
Denon-AVR-X2100W-IN-Command-2014-Model.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-JfcvF...2100W-IN-Command-2014-Model.html#&gid=1&pid=3

Attachments

• denonAVX2100-B.jpeg
    denonAVX2100-B.jpeg
    602.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #26,373 of 151,557
My receiver is really crappy in the sense that its analog output only works with its analog inputs, and its only digital output is HDMI. But its DAC doesn't do 2x/4x 44.1, so even with an HDMI audio extractor between it and my TV or the TV's optical out, I cannot send all my files in bitperfect form to a DAC behind it using HDMI, because my computer knows what the receiver supports. Meh.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #26,375 of 151,557
Nov 9, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #26,376 of 151,557
But were you happy with it when you bought it and if so, what changed? What really (read: genuinely, audibly) changed? If you can reliably tell a difference with out knowing there is a difference, then yes, there is a difference.

If not, just enjoy your music.

I was short on cash when I got it, so I got the cheapest receiver that, based on reviews, wouldn't want to make me cry. Much later, some guy in an audio store suggested this 2x 100W receiver wouldn't be able to properly drive the KEF LS50 I was considering. So before I try a bunch of speakers, I thought maybe I have to get a better amp. So I got a Vidar. And it made my crappy satellites (2.5" woofers, 0.5" tweeters) sing! So for music, I don't want to use the receiver anymore, cause it sounds dead. I already had a long HDMI cable running to it from the couch, though, and a bunch of other digital sources, so I wanted to be able to feed them into the Vidar. But, I can't, cause no analog out for all those digital sources. So I'm literally bypassing the receiver most of the time, and when I want to enjoy better sound from my TV (and don't need surround sound), I pipe its optical out into my Sound Blaster E5, and that into SYS, which controls the Vidar and my sub. Works, but eventually an Yggdrasil and a Freya will take over.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #26,377 of 151,557
I think Darko is a maroon. I no longer read his typing because he is a total subjectivist and a loon. A lick his thumb and stick it in the wind (or up his butt) subjectivist at that. A worth less TYPIST. Darko? FTN.

Darko discredits himself in his position of the Aqua La Voce. I owned one of these. It is nowhere near being in the league of the gungnir multibit, yet is costs more than a Yggdrasil.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #26,378 of 151,557
Since a lot of people's music is on a computer, how about a dedicated source card that's not USB based? The market is very scant with it. I've been hunting for one for ages.
Think about it - all I want is a dedicated 2 channel digital transport card with at least one fancy output connector - like AES. Even cooler if it had all kinds of fancy clocks or whatever.

The best I've got is a Musiland Digital Times that I use which is discontinued whose drivers exist only in chinese. It is a dedicated digital transport - no DAC. But it's also just $60 and it's the only non-USB one I've found.

With all these fancy dacs having AES, Fiber, BNC connections, I keep thinking - I would love to hook them up. And I can't believe there's nothing that is not USB that would let me do it.

Al the other cards are hideous professional cards which are both very expensive and feature anything but a simple 2 channel digital solution with unwieldly 32 channel breakout AES cables.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #26,379 of 151,557
8C67F52F-9318-4AE7-9838-11C5D9084A30.jpeg
What we do with regards to two channel and home theatre is have two systems. Big Speakers hooked up to Schiit etc, and small sat and sub for films via a HT receiver.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #26,381 of 151,557
What is lacking in present CD players that Schiit can bring to the table? No challenging here, just curious. SOL is going to be disruptive. I think it will sell beyond Schiit's best expectations. Tell me why I should lust for the Schiit Crape Diem...
[/QUOTE]

Is this claim based on any clue as to the expected price? I subscribe to this thread and read a heck of a lot of it but it is so chatty I admit I miss some posts.
Did I miss any hints or even outright announcement of pricing?

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #26,382 of 151,557
I'm spending the day evaluating helpdesk software. Please shoot me now.

(Yeah, but it's time.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 9, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #26,383 of 151,557
What we do with regards to two channel and home theatre is have two systems. Big Speakers hooked up to Schiit etc, and small sat and sub for films via a HT receiver.

I don't want to have (and don't want to sink the $$$ into) 2 systems. So I use an Emotiva XMC-1 which does 7.2 and has a reference stereo mode which is 2 channel only with no modifications to the signal.

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #26,384 of 151,557
Is this claim based on any clue as to the expected price? I subscribe to this thread and read a heck of a lot of it but it is so chatty I admit I miss some posts.
Did I miss any hints or even outright announcement of pricing?

Found an answer to my own question from a post by @Baldr in, um, another audio forum -- including here just in case anyone like me has missed it somehow:

"Target price is somewhere between a Jil and 4490 Bifrost. Yeah!"

That'd be between $199 and $399, even the upper end of which would seem to me to be ridiculously good. :astonished:

Main reason I care is my nephew is a budding audiophile who has been collecting vinyl and needs a turntable and I was going to get him one for Christmas, but now thinking I may delay this until the new year when Sol is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back