Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 1, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #25,231 of 155,166
A balanced input to an amp responds to the difference between the plus and minus legs of the signal pair. If you send it a single ended signal with ground on one of the legs, it simply amplifies what it sees on the other leg. In the pro audio world we send SE signals to balanced inputs regularly.

Right on, makes sense. Thanks for that explanation.

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #25,232 of 155,166
How supply constrained is the gadget going to be on launch?
Funny we do not know. Since it is a product we release without precedent, my guess would be to build 500 to see if they fly off of shelves. To put things in perspective, Magni 3's are at 684 one week out (new). Modi 2s are still a steady 1K per month or so, and believe it or not, Manis are over 500 per month. Since I will build 500, that should take care of impulse buyers (probably half of that), and then those who await third party reviews/hearsay/chatter before they order. Since it takes us at least 90 days to reschedule a production run, that means the 500 will be what we have until the second run. The first run of the product will be scheduled soon, so we will have first release Jan or so, according to metal.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 1, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #25,233 of 155,166
I am a bit daft but:
What does a thing like that do?
It splits the signal high/low at a selected frequency, simplest use case would be high going to standmounts and low going to a sub.

edit: Via amplifiers of course.

Less simple usage would require speakers that had no internal passive crossover and had separate connections to each driver so they could be driven directly by their own amplifier.

Have a look inside
https://www.amazon.com/Design-Active-Crossovers-Douglas-Self/dp/0240817389

chapter one.

Self explanatory :)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #25,234 of 155,166
The first run of the product will be scheduled soon, so we will have first release Jan or so, according to metal.

So Gadget will not be shipped to anyone before the new year?

Oct 1, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #25,237 of 155,166
Funny we do not know. Since it is a product we release without precedent, my guess would be to build 500 to see if they fly off of shelves. To put things in perspective, Magni 3's are at 684 one week out (new). Modi 2s are still a steady 1K per month or so, and believe it or not, Manis are over 500 per month. Since I will build 500, that should take care of impulse buyers (probably half of that), and then those who await third party reviews/hearsay/chatter before they order. Since it takes us at least 90 days to reschedule a production run, that means the 500 will be what we have until the second run. The first run of the product will be scheduled soon, so we will have first release Jan or so, according to metal.
I hope you plan for more SOL's. Those are going to fly off the shelves.

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #25,244 of 155,166
i guess i was talking about the the uber and the mimby, which are the 2 I have. And those both take 16 VAC
I know, I just thought I'd introduce the existential quantification version as a counterpoint to - "CLANG: WRONG"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back