Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #24,169 of 150,716
Sep 10, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #24,170 of 150,716
I wish he would have sprinkled some of that care over the Mer de Noms album ... every version I've listened to (CD, LP, streaming) sounds compressed and lifeless. Fantastic album, but absolute crap mastering.

I never managed to get into that album apart from "Judith". "Thirteenth Step" more than made up for it.

Sep 10, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #24,171 of 150,716
Sep 10, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #24,172 of 150,716
So after input from this forum, I finally decided on ordering a Bifrost MB. I am planning an out of state pilgrimage to the Schiitr in less than 2 weeks as a present to myself. Then I caught up on the last few weeks of posts and saw that 2 new products will be announced on the 19th and the 26th ... right before and after I was planning on making the road trip! Does anyone have any scoop on what's being released and if I should hold off on buying the Bimby?

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #24,173 of 150,716
So after input from this forum, I finally decided on ordering a Bifrost MB. I am planning an out of state pilgrimage to the Schiitr in less than 2 weeks as a present to myself. Then I caught up on the last few weeks of posts and saw that 2 new products will be announced on the 19th and the 26th ... right before and after I was planning on making the road trip! Does anyone have any scoop on what's being released and if I should hold off on buying the Bimby?
That's easy...
NO!!

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #24,174 of 150,716
That's easy...
NO!!

Hehe worth an ask! Last time I was about to purchase, someone local to me did have an inside scoop and advised me to hold off a month due to the Bimby getting an upgrade ... and sure enough ... Gen 5 was released!!! I don't know how he knew, but obviously some people seem to have an alternate source of info that I don't know about!!!

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #24,175 of 150,716

I second that recommendation -- no! I live in CA, and was just at the Schiitr last Thursday picking up my own Gumby. I chatted with Jason and Mike a bit, and they said nothing about new DACs, but did talk more about one of the upcoming product releases (my lips are sealed). Remember, the Gumby is an upgradeable DAC, so you needn't worry about it being obsolete right off the bat.

I certainly am not regretting my purchase one bit! It sounds even better than I had expected--- especially with 2 to 3 days of burn-in --- through a Freya preamp into a Conrad Johnson tube power amp. Can't stop listening to my digital library... Redbook never sounded better!

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #24,176 of 150,716
I second that recommendation -- no! I live in CA, and was just at the Schiitr last Thursday picking up my own Gumby. I chatted with Jason and Mike a bit, and they said nothing about new DACs, but did talk more about one of the upcoming product releases (my lips are sealed). Remember, the Gumby is an upgradeable DAC, so you needn't worry about it being obsolete right off the bat.

I certainly am not regretting my purchase one bit! It sounds even better than I had expected--- especially with 2 to 3 days of burn-in --- through a Freya preamp into a Conrad Johnson tube power amp. Can't stop listening to my digital library... Redbook never sounded better!

Good to hear! Man ... the Gumby is the DAC I was debating against, and I've only talked myself into the Bimby since my whole system is single ended ... but there's still a small voice in the back of my head saying "are you suuuuuurrrrrreeeee?" :thinking:

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #24,178 of 150,716
So, damn. New poster here, long time lurker. I've been following this thread roughly since page 900. That's a lot of reading.

I have just one question (for now :upside_down:): how did the names bimby and mimby come about?

I'm not an authoritative source on the subject ... but they're portmanteaus.

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #24,179 of 150,716
So, damn. New poster here, long time lurker. I've been following this thread roughly since page 900. That's a lot of reading.

I have just one question (for now :upside_down:): how did the names bimby and mimby come about?
Pretty sure this was explained a few pages back. :)

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #24,180 of 150,716
DACs
Yggdrasil = Yggy (no multibit designation needed, hence no "mby")
Gungnir MultiBit = GuMB = Gumby
Bifrost MultiBit = BiMB = Bimby
Modi MultiBit = MoMB = Mimby? (although you could argue that its taking the i from the end of Modi, so MiMB)

Amps
Jotunheim = Jot
Ragnarok = Rag (I've read Raggy as well, I think that is to align it with Yggy)
So it is. For some reason I want to call Jotunheim "Jotty". I'll admit most of that reading has been skipping to Jason's posts. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back