Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 9, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #24,156 of 149,387
Could you provide a source for that? I just looked at a couple of dozen MC cart's at Needle Dr. from Ortofon, Lyra, Dynavector, Koetsu etc and found lots of carts in the 4 to 7 ohm range. !0 ohms was represented but it didn't seem common at all. Some manufacturers also gave very wide ranges for loads. It would seem that the Mani will work with a wide range of MC carts. Just not all.
47 is really low too much but ypu can use the 47k setting and put with Y rca cable resistor in // to taste :wink: or solder the right one on the rca

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #24,159 of 149,387
aaaahhh...ok. In your scenario it would be ill advised.
Still eyeballing Freya. On the fence but not convinced.
I do wanna soften things up a little.Not always btw. Just some styles of music/recordings. Would be really nice to sweeten it a little.
On the other hand...don`t wanna get into the tube-thing because it seems like a never-ending story with ever rising prices.

Sep 9, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #24,160 of 149,387
aaaahhh...ok. In your scenario it would be ill advised.
Still eyeballing Freya. On the fence but not convinced.
I do wanna soften things up a little.Not always btw. Just some styles of music/recordings. Would be really nice to sweeten it a little.
On the other hand...don`t wanna get into the tube-thing because it seems like a never-ending story with ever rising prices.
Well, it's for the tubes I would do it.
So now I'm searching for a passive tube pre stage.
They're hard to find if you want to go all balanced.
A few weeks searching resulted in 1 Chinese and 1 3k variant.
So I'm praying one of the new toys from Schiit will be a tube thingy for use with the Ragnarok in a balanced way.
Which I know almost 100% sure will nor be the case.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #24,161 of 149,387
Well, it's for the tubes I would do it.
So now I'm searching for a passive tube pre stage.
They're hard to find if you want to go all balanced.
A few weeks searching resulted in 1 Chinese and 1 3k variant.
So I'm praying one of the new toys from Schiit will be a tube thingy for use with the Ragnarok in a balanced way.
Which I know almost 100% sure will nor be the case.

Tubes do have magic. BUT, you really need to buy some of the best NOS tubes to hear that magic. Average tubes sound no better than solid state and low end and most new production tubes sound worse than solid state.

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #24,163 of 149,387
I was planning on adding the Freya for the tubes only but was advised against it.
While not ideal, I'm currently running Freya into an integrated (Cambridge CXA80) while waiting until I can get a Vidar or two and quite honestly it still sounds delicious. The Cambridge is very quiet and neutral and I enjoy changing modes on the Freya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back