Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #24,181 of 149,114
Good to hear! Man ... the Gumby is the DAC I was debating against, and I've only talked myself into the Bimby since my whole system is single ended ... but there's still a small voice in the back of my head saying "are you suuuuuurrrrrreeeee?" :thinking:

Sorry, I totally misread! I thought I saw "Gumby," not "Bimby" in your post.
Obviously, the upgradeable benefit still applies with Bifrost, though!
So, now that we are on the same page... I upgraded to the Gumby from the Bifrost Uber (which has now been moved to a second system). Going from the delta-sigma Bifrost to the Gumby was an INSANE difference. Unfortunately, I haven't compared the multibit Bifrost against the Gumby, so I can't speak to that, but I definitely plan on upgrading the Bifrost based on what I'm hearing from the Bimby.

The good news is that you'll be able to listen to both Bimby and Gumby at the Schiitr when you visit, and you can let your ears be your guide at that time!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #24,184 of 149,114
Is there such a thing as a bifrost 2? Does such a product exist?

From Schiit's website: http://www.schiit.com/news/news/introducing-modi-multibit

Yggdrasil: Schiit Multibit 1 Platform, Modular/Upgradable, 8X Closed-Form Filter, AD5791BRUZ x 4, Choke-Input, Shunt Supplies, Discrete JFET Buffer Output, Gen 3 USB, $2299
Gungnir Multibit: Schiit Multibit 1 Platform, Modular/Upgradable, 8X Closed-Form Filter, AD5781BRUZ x 4, Discrete JFET Buffer Output, $1249
Bifrost Multibit: Schiit Multibit 2 Platform, Modular/Upgradable, 4X Closed-Form Filter, AD5547CRUZ, $599
Modi Multibit: Schiit Multibit 2 Platform, 4X Closed-Form Filter, AD5547CRUZ, $249

I've never seen a Bifrost 2 ... but the Bimby and Mimby are quoted as using the Multibit 2 Platform ...

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #24,185 of 149,114
Guys, sorry for the confusion -- today is not my day. I meant to say Bifrost Uber, and I've edited my post to fix that. Was getting product names confused, probably with my Modi 2 Uber on my desk at work.

I guess this is what happens when you have too much Schiit!!

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #24,186 of 149,114
Don`t let it bring you down good Toad and rejoice in the fact that you are not the only misunderstood toad:

Your nick always makes me think of this.
Although I suspect you hint at the flatter variety of toad.

A sharp eye and a keen mind you have my friend. Yes, J.Thaddeus Toad, Esq. of Toad Hall is one of my inspirations for my nom de plume. Another is the Hodaka Road Toad motorcycle of years gone by. And of course, toads flattened on the road are yet another influence. :ksc75smile:

Be well, my friend.

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #24,187 of 149,114
From Schiit's website: http://www.schiit.com/news/news/introducing-modi-multibit

Yggdrasil: Schiit Multibit 1 Platform, Modular/Upgradable, 8X Closed-Form Filter, AD5791BRUZ x 4, Choke-Input, Shunt Supplies, Discrete JFET Buffer Output, Gen 3 USB, $2299
Gungnir Multibit: Schiit Multibit 1 Platform, Modular/Upgradable, 8X Closed-Form Filter, AD5781BRUZ x 4, Discrete JFET Buffer Output, $1249
Bifrost Multibit: Schiit Multibit 2 Platform, Modular/Upgradable, 4X Closed-Form Filter, AD5547CRUZ, $599
Modi Multibit: Schiit Multibit 2 Platform, 4X Closed-Form Filter, AD5547CRUZ, $249

I've never seen a Bifrost 2 ... but the Bimby and Mimby are quoted as using the Multibit 2 Platform ...
The man is an English language scholar.
I hope that means he can read the Schiit site himself.

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #24,189 of 149,114
The man is an English language scholar.
I hope that means he can read the Schiit site himself.

Nope ... but my mom was an English and Education major if that qualifies. I think you missed in your quote that this was in reply to a previous query ... unless I'm completely missing the dry humor.

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #24,191 of 149,114
Guys, sorry for the confusion -- today is not my day. I meant to say Bifrost Uber, and I've edited my post to fix that. Was getting product names confused, probably with my Modi 2 Uber on my desk at work.

I guess this is what happens when you have too much Schiit!!

Yet I think I totally knew what you were referencing. I can't wait to make the pilgrimage to the Schiitr! Not just for the cool Schiit, but this may be my only chance to hear a pair of Salks!!! :musical_score:

Sep 10, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #24,192 of 149,114
Huh.

Anyone use their Schiit headphone amp as a pre-amp? I'm using my Vali 2's pre-amp outs to a Dayton Audio DT120 for my bookshelf speakers. I used to use my Yamahahahahaahaha RX-V471 for them. From what I remember these speakers never put out so much bass. It sounds pretty good but I'm too lazy right now to do an A/B comparison. I'm also not sure what I should be doing with the volume on both. Right now I have the Vali at 1/4 fixed and use the DT120 as the control.

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #24,193 of 149,114
Huh.

Anyone use their Schiit headphone amp as a pre-amp? I'm using my Vali 2's pre-amp outs to a Dayton Audio DT120 for my bookshelf speakers. I used to use my Yamahahahahaahaha RX-V471 for them. From what I remember these speakers never put out so much bass. It sounds pretty good but I'm too lazy right now to do an A/B comparison. I'm also not sure what I should be doing with the volume on both. Right now I have the Vali at 1/4 fixed and use the DT120 as the control.
I'm doing something very similar with my Fulla 2- using a lower wattage Dayon amp into a pair of Minimus 7s.

I fiddled with both volume pots for a while, and settled on leaving the Dayton at 10:00ish, giving a nice wide volume range on the Fulla.

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #24,194 of 149,114
So after input from this forum, I finally decided on ordering a Bifrost MB. I am planning an out of state pilgrimage to the Schiitr in less than 2 weeks as a present to myself. Then I caught up on the last few weeks of posts and saw that 2 new products will be announced on the 19th and the 26th ... right before and after I was planning on making the road trip! Does anyone have any scoop on what's being released and if I should hold off on buying the Bimby?
Buy the Bimby. It is that good. Like stupid good!

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #24,195 of 149,114
Huh.

In the short time since I got my Saga and Vidar, I have settled on using my magni2uber as a preamp in between the Saga and Vidar. This allows me to add some gain from the Saga when I want to have more volume out of my 89 dB 8 Ohm speakers, but still have remote control for volume and switching to other inputs. Plus I can just plug headphones in and the speakers are muted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back