Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #22,186 of 149,478
You might think so, but those ports are still vulnerable. We make a device with USB ports that uses the same, widely available protection devices, and they still have ESD issues. ESD strikes do degrade the protection devices themselves, so while it might last longer, it's still vulnerable. Also, the part about surviving direct lightning strikes is pretty unbelievable: some one got a bit too enthusiastic with their ad copy.

Lightning strikes? I missed that.

I mean, wait, they're saying the USB port will survive a bolt of electricity a foot around?

I'd like to be there for the testing.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #22,188 of 149,478
So Schiit, are you guys ever going to come out with a multibit dac module for the Jotenheim?

Baldr (Mike) wrote this in the Jotunheim thread:

1. Can't fit multibit balanced in Bimby, (much less a Jodie) without resorting to pony trick balance in analog domain only sizzle. Nope.

2. Can't fit SE MB even in Jodie without hanging the card an inch or so out the top, with a wall wart socket (on top), which will make the Jodie almost as ugly as our threatened Cthulhu. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllll, in order to do so, we would have to port all of our DSP burrito code over to some low-powered ARM. Not likely, with the five other frisbees I have spinning on sticks at the moment.

If you hold your breath, unfortunately you will turn blue.

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #22,189 of 149,478
Would the Vidar, via taps to XLR, be appropriate for HE-6/K1000? By the looks of the specs, it seems to have exactly the power of my Panache--100W into 8ohms, 200 into 4, and I'm loving my combo. Given the nervous hyperventilation one sees on the HE-6 thread ("too bright," someone sniffed about Ragnarok), it may be unlikely, but paired with a Vali or Valhalla or whatever, it could be the <1k amp situation we've been looking for.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #22,191 of 149,478
Andrea-Pivetta-Opera-Only-Luxury-Sound-Amplifiers-New-Technology-Beverly-Hills-Magazine-2.jpg

If you have the $2,000,000 + for this set up...

“Opera Only” his latest creation doubles as a high-end audio amplifier and a work of art. It provides 160,000 watts of power and boasts a price tag of almost US$2.2 million. Its seven-digit price tag is justified by its excellent audio capacity and transformer-like qualities.

Not sure but I think those on this thread will see a much better value in the new Vidar.......'cause do you really need 160,000 watts?

I saw some folks interested in the Schitt Jontunheim HP Amp on this thread.....

Great New Article here JotAmplifier

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #22,193 of 149,478
The Eitr looks to have brushed aluminum, much like the Vali 2, Modi 2 Uber, or Magni 2 Uber. It will look much better than the Wyrd style painted case.
If so I regret the remark. Looked like the dull grey of the wyrd in the picture.
Anyway...it should be about the sound and not the looks.
And like I said: It looks good enough (even when it looks like the wyrd), never meant to diss it.
Never meant to critisize or second guess either. Just venting an opinion.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #22,195 of 149,478
How's it treating your UB5's? I've got a pair of Vidars coming in Thursday, but I'm not really sure how I'm going to use them yet. I have a near field setup like that in my office with the UB5's and Ragnarok. Wondering if I could get more out of them with the Vidar and use Rag as pre-amp for it rather than driving my UB5's.

My ideal config is with my UF5's in my living room, Freya driving the Vidars, but I'm somewhat doubtful the 4ohm UF5's will play nice in mono. I think what's most likely is I bring my PBN Montana monitors into the living room and monoblock them. Get the ScanSpeak technology coupled with 400w into 8ohm.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #22,197 of 149,478
How's it treating your UB5's? I've got a pair of Vidars coming in Thursday, but I'm not really sure how I'm going to use them yet. I have a near field setup like that in my office with the UB5's and Ragnarok. Wondering if I could get more out of them with the Vidar and use Rag as pre-amp for it rather than driving my UB5's.

My ideal config is with my UF5's in my living room, Freya driving the Vidars, but I'm somewhat doubtful the 4ohm UF5's will play nice in mono. I think what's most likely is I bring my PBN Montana monitors into the living room and monoblock them. Get the ScanSpeak technology coupled with 400w into 8ohm.

Those are actually Debut B5's, and it's doing very well with them. I don't play music super loud (no db meter, sorry) but after 2 hours of listening the amp was not very warm at all. Monsoons are rolling through now, so everything is unplugged. As I mentioned, I was using JBL 305's before and so far I'm very impressed with the Vidar/Elac combo. Seems like much more control in the low frequencies, and the dynamics of the music and detail retrieval is much better than the JBL's. I'm far from a "golden ear" though.

I actually bought the Elacs as a bit of a stopgap, the endgame is to have Salk/Philharmonic/?? speakers. I like the Elacs so far though.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #22,198 of 149,478

I mean, wait, they're saying the USB port will survive a bolt of electricity a foot around?

IS-NEMP-C1.jpg

This company made Ethernet twisted pair solutions but was (relatively) recently bought. I can personally attest to their effectiveness. Their customers were, among others, broadcasters and FEMA.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #22,199 of 149,478

No way anything is going to survive a full strike or a near strike. A discharge current of > 50KAMPS with a strike voltage of over 50KV is beyond the arresting capabilities of anything on this planet. Disconnect everything from the 'outside world' when lightning is near.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back