Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,131 of 150,081
Well there are already many of these service providers, and imo Ferragamo and Hermès are most effective tho their fees are considerable...... ymmv
biggrin.gif

A dear friend from my dirt bike riding days went through at least 2 bikes a year, sometimes more if road bikes and bicycles were in the mix at the time.  I asked him how he got away with it.  "Every bike costs about twice the sticker price.  A bike for me, jewelry for my wife…"

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #2,132 of 150,081
  A dear friend from my dirt bike riding days went through at least 2 bikes a year, sometimes more if road bikes and bicycles were in the mix at the time.  I asked him how he got away with it.  "Every bike costs about twice the sticker price.  A bike for me, jewelry for my wife…"

Luckily my fiancee is not that into jewellery, she's happy as long as I have money to go travelling with her when she wants, which is once or twice a year. And the occasional little surprise gift/bribe (handbag, movie, dinner out, etc) every now and then.  
rolleyes.gif

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,133 of 150,081
"No. The thing that really matters is that Magni and Modi are giving many, many first-timers their initial taste of very good sound."
"So that’s the real impact: bringing that first audiophile experience to a larger audience."

Nice.  As someone who's been part of and a customer of this industry since 1973, this is a really refreshing attitude and one that I know will create continued success.  Bravo.

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2,134 of 150,081
I'm hoping that Schiit continues to bring new products that make improved sound accessible to the general public. It's not difficult to find a CD/DVD player for a reasonable price where you can output digital directly to a preexisting Schiit DAC. I don't think there is a lot of room for improving budget-minded audio fidelity with another player option.

As for new gear that has a direct impact on providing improved fidelity to the general public, I think there is a lot of room for Schiit to make consumer-grade products that integrate into consumer-grade audio systems that can make a definite improvement in audio fidelity for the average person.

For example, I can't think of any graphic equalizers that come in a non-pro form factor (i.e., rackmount with 1/4" TRS or XLR connectors). A desktop 31-band stereo graphic equalizer with RCA inputs at a reasonable price would offer tangible results in improving the fidelity of the average-joe's audio system. These days the consumer graphic EQ is all but extinct. The options are No EQ or trying to integrate a rackmount pro-audio solution with TRS or XLR connectors. How does one dial in room correction for their stereo without EQ? How does one correct the frequency balance of their headphones without EQ?

The same can be said for a stereo 2/way cross over. Only options seem to be buy an AVR with DSP, or buy a rackmount pro audio crossover and fumble around with rca-to-XLR/TRS connectors. I have a 2.1 setup with powered speakers and a powered sub. You can't find a powered sub in the < $500 range that has highpass filtered line level outputs for feeding powered monitors. I had to choose between my monitor's woofers jumping out of the enclosure during the cannon blasts in the 1812 overture or placing a rackmount crossover on my desk next to modi and getting the requisite rca-xlr and xlr-rca connectors to hook it all together.

Anyways, just my thoughts.

Cheers

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #2,135 of 150,081
"No. The thing that really matters is that Magni and Modi are giving many, many first-timers their initial taste of very good sound."
"So that’s the real impact: bringing that first audiophile experience to a larger audience."

Nice.  As someone who's been part of and a customer of this industry since 1973, this is a really refreshing attitude and one that I know will create continued success.  Bravo.

Ableza, where have you been, I think I speak for all when I say we missed your unique wit and perspective :yum:.......ok, I speak only for me, welcome back to the lunatic fringe, lol.

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,136 of 150,081
Ableza, where have you been, I think I speak for all when I say we missed your unique wit and perspective :yum:.......ok, I speak only for me, welcome back to the lunatic fringe, lol.

Ha! Why thank you.  I was out on a business trip that took me to places with spotty Internet access and in strange time zones (with long days that left me with very little time for forums.)  But don't worry, you can't get rid of me, I'll stick around!

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #2,137 of 150,081
Ha! Why think you.  I was out on a business trip that took me to places with spotty Internet access and in strange time zones (with long days that left me with very little time for forums.)  But don't worry, you can't get rid of me, I'll stick around!

Damn, and I was about to start waxing eloquently about the virtue of expensive, esoteric, USB Cables.........not!

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #2,138 of 150,081
Damn, and I was about to start waxing eloquently about the virtue of expensive, esoteric, USB Cables.........not!

That always makes for a fun afternoon.

beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #2,141 of 150,081
^ Personally, I prefer very thin fuchsia myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aug 16, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,142 of 150,081
Jason,

You could just make the remote an option, an add-on board for the Philips receiver/needed hardware  and we can buy the Apple remote anyplace  : )

Don’t think you could make the $99 price point but it might the close !!

For the cost I don’t think any other remote is close… in fact cost aside it’s got to be close to the perfect remote…

C

http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/apple-aluminum-remote/

A few othe companies offer products that work with the Apple remote..
Mytek
Tortuga 
resonessence
exaSound

PS 

Yes I am the guy who emailed you about this a long time ago  : )  Thanks for making great products  : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back