Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #2,101 of 148,518
Once upon a time, people were mad at Apple because they "refused" to make a PowerBook (portable) with a G5 processor. Mind you, the only G5 processors around ran really hot -- Apple's PowerMac G5 was the first and only time Apple used water cooling.

But some people viewed this as an opportunity rather than a stumbling block, so:

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2,102 of 148,518
So if Schiit opened an office in say Marseille, and "shipped" from there, perhaps in EU Countries there would be no customs/tariff, no?

OK, Jason, Mike, Alex, I am fully willing to accept the challenge of establishing, creating and managing Schiit's European Subsidiary, I am willing to give my all to support your wonderful company. I would prefer my salary in Britsh Pounds, and it would be a tad small, but a five bedroom Villa would be acceptable.

See the attached Curriculum Vitae, and Refrences :smirk:

No way you do that in Marseille; French taxes are too high.  Dublin or Rotterdam for Europe.  HK or Singapore for Asia-Pacific.

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,103 of 148,518
  Emotiva's new ERC-8T High resolution player

Haha! you made me look! good one
beyersmile.png

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #2,106 of 148,518
I'd like to see an XLR passive pre-amp using the 64 x 1.25 db stepped attenuator from the Ragnorak.  Seriously it fills a niche that is devoid of real good options.  The khozmo stepped attenuator from poland has enough range, but apparently has suffered QC and customer service issues.  Plus you have to order from Poland.  Goldpoints are only 24 steps which means if you have a really powerful amp or really efficient speakers you won't have fine control in the lower volume range, where the steps are many more db apiece vs 2 db in the middle and upper range.  Glasshouse has some cool options but they are in the UK and its pretty much a DIY affair.

Many people running expensive balanced sabre dacs could ditch their yucky digital attenuation with one of these!  Plus I bet a lot of gungnir and yddrigisil buyers might want one for running direct into power amps without having to shop for an active balanced pre (expensive).  

Schiit already designed and built the attenuator(its in the ragnorak), they just have to put it in its own little metal box.  Easy enough right?     

ETA:  Really wanna garner some attention?  Add a remote control option (simple up and down volume, nothing fancy)  The cheapest USA distributed options for a balanced passive pre with remote control are over 2k, Tortuga LDR and Bent Audio Tap-x/AVC-1.  A Khozmo remote controlled stepped attenuator in XLR would start at 600 and go up with resistor options.    

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #2,108 of 148,518
Maybe we'll get a vinyl player to go with the phono...

In the "affordable and well made" turntable section they'd face strong competition.
Vinyl is so complicated and (imho) flawed... my guess is that the guys at Schiit would never go that route. I feel it would go against their core philosophy.

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #2,109 of 148,518
In the "affordable and well made" turntable section they'd face strong competition.
Vinyl is so complicated and (imho) flawed... my guess is that the guys at Schiit would never go that route. I feel it would go against their core philosophy.

Yeah, that is an extremely crowded market where the race-to-the-bottom has already happened, price-wise. With Pro-ject, Music Hall and the like, there isn't much room.
ADCs, however, make a ton of sense.  Relatively simple (they do one thing), lots of people want to digitize vinyl or cassettes, they already have a phono pre on the way.  It's analog and digital, and they have plenty of experience there.  DAC in reverse, basically.  The market is still limited to Benchmark, Ayre, Lynx etc unless you want to deal with PC soundcards (barf).
Portables - well, there isn't that much real competition for the audiophile types but they are extremely complicated finicky products, and tons of people would rather use Spotify and the like now.  But no one has made the killer product for the Schiit buyer who wants good quality with a very reasonable price.  I have a Geek Wave coming my way eventually but again, there is not an affordable option that everybody likes that is in stock online.  A&K is crazy expensive, FiiO stuff gets mixed reviews.

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,110 of 148,518
  Here's two more hints for 2015, then I'll stop. I promise:

1. If you don't move in surprising new directions, you'll stagnate.
2. If you don't radically improve your own approaches, someone else will come take the market from you.

And that's it.

OK folks, having a little bit of an inside line, here's one of the new products - introducing the Schiit Li'l Wooden Head DAC!:

:wink:

(Actually, this is my DAC that I got a local woodworker to make the lovely chassis for - all credit to him.  His name is Ken Burton, for anyone in the Eastern PA area interested in beautiful things made of wood.)

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,111 of 148,518

If Schiit is about to release the Mani, will they follow up with the Pedi? Perhaps that would be a tubed phono pre for lady listeners?

And speaking of "obsolete" formats, reel-to-reel tape is making quite the comeback with several companies offering decks from the low thousands to approx. $15K. No joke.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,115 of 148,518
Yes real to real is awesome medium. My friend was a big band leader and he had some amazing stuff on tape. One of the best was a drum solo by Buddy Rich. I thought some of the tapes were better than records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back