Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 21, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #21,197 of 152,545
What that image has done is hide the fact that there is a DAC and Pre-Amplifier included in the box labeled "M2 Amplifier," otherwise it won't work.

If my memory serves me, the NAD M2 amplifier uses a PCM/PWM converter. So, no DAC or pre-amp as we know it in the analog world.

JC

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #21,200 of 152,545
Thank you guys for all the impressions and suggestions. This was much more help than I could have hoped for.

The score so far:
4 Mimby + Vali2
3 Mimby + Asgard2
1 Mimby + MagniU2
3 Jotunheim w/DAC

And if the budget is streched...
3 Mimby + Jotunheim

It's great to see all the love for for the Asgard2. The original is still going strong.
Mimby also seems to be a must for most of you which only leaves Asgard2 and Vali2 and magniU2 within the budget.
Then Jotunheim keeps coming up and is looking very interesting. And I'm a bit surprised to see so much praise for the built in DAC module.

I'd vote for Mimby+A2 too. I had Bimby+A2 for over a year until I replaced the A2 by a Jot for the balanced output. I've not heard the Mimby, but all the reviews and impressions I've read placed it close to the Bimby (in fact, a few people prefer the Mimby).

@earnmyturns I wonder what gains you experienced going from A2 to Jot.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #21,202 of 152,545
If my memory serves me, the NAD M2 amplifier uses a PCM/PWM converter. So, no DAC or pre-amp as we know it in the analog world.

JC

It is indeed the NAD amp thats being refered to in the illustration. So within themagicdoitallbox there is a DAC in front of the class D amp but its spitting out an analog PWM (pulse with modulated) signal instead of sinewaves directly into the Class D. It sounds pretty clever to me as long as you're only using digital sources. Maybe you could even throw in a supercomboburrito filter somewhere. I know we dont like class D, and it's not coming near my stereo, but I guess it could serve its purposes. Like in smartphones and such.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #21,203 of 152,545
Thank you guys for all the impressions and suggestions. This was much more help than I could have hoped for.

The score so far:
4 Mimby + Vali2
3 Mimby + Asgard2
1 Mimby + MagniU2
3 Jotunheim w/DAC

And if the budget is streched...
3 Mimby + Jotunheim

It's great to see all the love for for the Asgard2. The original is still going strong.
Mimby also seems to be a must for most of you which only leaves Asgard2 and Vali2 and magniU2 within the budget.
Then Jotunheim keeps coming up and is looking very interesting. And I'm a bit surprised to see so much praise for the built in DAC module.

1 more vote for Mimby + Jotunheim from me! If you cant stretch the budget Mimby + vali 2 is really good as well.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #21,204 of 152,545
It is indeed the NAD amp thats being refered to in the illustration. So within themagicdoitallbox there is a DAC in front of the class D amp but its spitting out an analog PWM (pulse with modulated) signal instead of sinewaves directly into the Class D. It sounds pretty clever to me as long as you're only using digital sources. Maybe you could even throw in a supercomboburrito filter somewhere. I know we dont like class D, and it's not coming near my stereo, but I guess it could serve its purposes. Like in smartphones and such.

No supercomboburrito filter needed. Nor is there any place for it.

The M2 converts PCM to PWM directly so there's no analog signal path in which to use a filter.

JC

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #21,205 of 152,545

The M2 converts PCM to PWM directly so there's no analog signal path in which to use a filter.

JC
The supercomboburrito filter is a DSP filter operating on bits. No analog path needed.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #21,207 of 152,545

JC
I obviously don't know what the supercomboburrito is doing or how class d works. But I thought it instructed the the dac on how to create sinewaves and coud do the same to the class D. My bad. Carry on.

One more point for Mimby and Jotunheim and Lyr2.

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #21,209 of 152,545
Still am NOT loving this new site format using my iPhone 5s. When I log in, I get the main page. In the upper right corner I have to click on a tiny search icon to get anywhere near my stuff. This brings up my screen name with an alert badge. I click on the badge to show me my followed threads with new responses.

Except over half the time it doesn't list all the unread threads. Case in point, this thread. I have received no alerts of activity in the last 4 days. Hmmm. That's a bit suspicious. So I pull up the full alert list, go back 4 days, and click on the last alert I read. Damn if there's not 158 frickin' posts waiting unread. So instead of doing "important work," I spend the next hour pouring over the latest.

How's a guy supposed to timely know his Schiit if he doesn't know there is new Schiit out there to know????

If I miss out one one product release because of a malfunctioning alert badge, well, then my boys at the NSA are just gonna have to bring some Holy Schiit down on this here site's keepers!!!

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #21,210 of 152,545
Here's what I wrote back when I still had both A2 and Jot:
My impression with the Asgard 2 is that some louder mid-to-high pitch passages had a kind of "glare" as if the amp was somewhat losing full control of the headphone drivers (just trying to describe what I heard, no idea about the actual mechanism). No such problem with the Jotunheim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back