Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 16, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #21,002 of 155,150
I hope you're also still experimenting with the speaker placement?
They seem a bit close to the wall and at a huge angle.
But maybe it's only the picture.
'cause the Vidars are not here so I cannot start with placement experiment. Right now they are about 7 ft apart and facing almost directly to my listening position, turning about 22 degrees inward..

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #21,004 of 155,150
I hope you're also still experimenting with the speaker placement?
They seem a bit close to the wall and at a huge angle.
But maybe it's only the picture.
On a separate topic, what do you recommend as the source? I currently use Foobar2000 on my dell laptop, and feed Bimby through USB. I saw other people playing through DAP like Sony Hi-res audio player, or some of those portable players. Will they sound better?
And I assume playing through those DAPs into Bimby will get around the DAC in the DAP right?

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #21,005 of 155,150
On a separate topic, what do you recommend as the source? I currently use Foobar2000 on my dell laptop, and feed Bimby through USB. I saw other people playing through DAP like Sony Hi-res audio player, or some of those portable players. Will they sound better?
And I assume playing through those DAPs into Bimby will get around the DAC in the DAP right?

Get a Sonore MicroRendu or SotM SMS-200. Its a bit of a learning curve, but well worth it.

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #21,006 of 155,150

Yes, I have a Sony NW-ZX2 and have used it, sounds good but you have to purchase a special Sony cable to get usb out. I have tried optical out on my AK, fine and dandy, but doesn't play nice with 24/192. Without adding more ingredients to the recipe and so as to shorten an already long story: Do you have USB Audio Player Pro on your phone? (assuming Android, I know nothing of Apple) Works better! Costs little! If it's the right Android you can add a ton of memory for less than the stupid Sony proprietary cable and give it a shot. The interface runs circles around my DAPs, sounds just as good. (Heck who needs a DAP, buy a recent enough second hand phone with a card slot, add a Dragonfly and USB Audio Player Pro) I would say add a Wyrd for good measure. Everyone on the planet should have a Wyrd because they come in handy, can bridge a distance for you, and costs 99 bucks, but, but, we don't know what Eitr will be yet. That's just been my experience.

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #21,007 of 155,150

Cheapest good solution I can come up with: Reformat the laptop to Ubuntu Studio Linux and Install Quod Libet music player. Sounds great and the software is free.

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #21,009 of 155,150
Jun 16, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #21,011 of 155,150
I hate when that happens !!!!
At the time I was just glad that it was sitting between the GPU and CPU... Otherwise my Titan Black would have been killed..
My desktop is sitting too far away from my stereo setup (around 14 ft) so getting yet another sound card won't work...

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #21,012 of 155,150
At the time I was just glad that it was sitting between the GPU and CPU... Otherwise my Titan Black would have been killed..
My desktop is sitting too far away from my stereo setup (around 14 ft) so getting yet another sound card won't work...

We all have different considerations. I listen exclusively to Tidal HD, and my headphone system is next to my PC. The ASUS card made a dramatic difference. It really is amazing the level at which Bimby can perform. Someday I'll get a Gumby or Yiggy, probably for no better reason than it seems like the thing to do. But I'll probably always run unbalanced. I don't see how I could ever give up my single-ended OTL Euforia amp. Only drawback is running it in the summer. We're expecting 119 F high next week here in Scottsdale (((

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #21,013 of 155,150
We all have different considerations. I listen exclusively to Tidal HD, and my headphone system is next to my PC. The ASUS card made a dramatic difference. It really is amazing the level at which Bimby can perform. Someday I'll get a Gumby or Yiggy, probably for no better reason than it seems like the thing to do. But I'll probably always run unbalanced. I don't see how I could ever give up my single-ended OTL Euforia amp. Only drawback is running it in the summer. We're expecting 119 F high next week here in Scottsdale (((
I have a large collection of hi-res flac/dsd files of mainly non-english songs, and I stream from Tidal HD too... seems adding the sound card is the way to go but... should i run extra long spdif cable?
119 F? You need liquid nitrogen! :)

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #21,014 of 155,150
I have a large collection of hi-res flac/dsd files of mainly non-english songs, and I stream from Tidal HD too... seems adding the sound card is the way to go but... should i run extra long spdif cable?
119 F? You need liquid nitrogen! :)

What motherboard do you have in your PC? If you have a S/PDIF header on your motherboard you could use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWNKIKN/

and save yourself some money. I use one in my PC and it was a noticeable improvement in quality over USB to my Mimby.

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #21,015 of 155,150
What motherboard do you have in your PC? If you have a S/PDIF header on your motherboard you could use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWNKIKN/

and save yourself some money. I use one in my PC and it was a noticeable improvement in quality over USB to my Mimby.
I have Asus P9X79 WS with optical s/pdif out. Hmm, looks like that can also work.
But I've heard many arguments that coaxial is better than toslink... Not sure if that is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back