Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #20,971 of 153,510
If you're interested in doing a SchiitKit show, just contact denise@schiit.com. We'll go through the details and get you scheduled.

(Same goes for anyone else who's interested.)
Thanks and I will.
Looking for the right event/opportunity/place now as my house is full of Schiit.

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #20,972 of 153,510
Higher than desired THD and inductively coupled noise, but no oscillating component. Could be good old Faraday's law magnetic effects! Mu Metal to the rescue!! :ksc75smile:

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #20,973 of 153,510
Higher than desired THD and inductively coupled noise, but no oscillating component. Could be good old Faraday's law magnetic effects! Mu Metal to the rescue!! :ksc75smile:
I think I still have a sheet of that somewhere in my garage.

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #20,974 of 153,510
Hey all,

I'm failing at the chapter again this week, mainly because it's been kinda insanely busy as we ramp up for Vidar (and another product release). Just getting a new product on the line is a pretty big undertaking, and the Vidar is complicated by the fact that it has a lot of new assembly operations (or at least, stuff we've only been doing at the "craft build" level, like Ragnarok.) I'm happy to report that the heatsinks are in, chassis assembly continues quickly, and we're only awaiting two things to make this real:

1. The first article production board from the PCB assembly house. This is what they give us to check and see if everything is in the right place. Once we confirm this, there's a bit more waiting for...
2. Production boards from the PCB assembly house. Then we can start finishing up the assemblies and getting them on the burn-in rack.

(Ah, and I just remembered...I better send an empty chassis Vidar out for photography, like, today. Argh.)

Aaaannd...remember that prototype I mentioned that just "started up and ran," and I was wondering what kind of hell I'd have to walk through to compensate for it going so easily? Found it. We have another product--actually series of products--that I just discovered yesterday that our approach would only work for 1 out of 3 of the planned products. The good news is that we haven't bought any parts yet for the other two, and the better news is that it doesn't affect the introduction of the one that works. However, it's going to be a monumental pain in the rear end to get this working right. It's even more irritating that the product sounds great, despite the problem--Mike Moffat has one and doesn't want to give it up. The problem is too high THD at some operational levels--we're talking 0.2-0.5% here, really not what you'd expect from a modern solid-state device. That, and inductively coupled noise. The noise isn't too hard to resolve, but the THD problem may be interesting. We're working up some new approaches for testing.

(And, for the engineers here, nope, it's not oscillating at 50MHz or anything like that, which can cause both problems. We know the base cause--it's related to a specific series of custom parts--but I can't get into details since it would give too much away.)

Beyond that, we're in the middle of the spring "slow time," so I'm looking forward to ramping things up with Vidar (and a couple of other announcements to be made shortly.)

All the best,
Jason

Thanks for the news, we were knee deep in herring, you will have plenty to write about later. For some reason I always thought you were the resident photographer /Photoshop guy?

Jun 14, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #20,975 of 153,510

24 hours of Yggy.
It's getting better.
Already hearing things I never heard before.
Maybe up the pills somewhat.

I just have to say - that is one impressive music rig! And, the windows looking out upon the green space - very nice. Seems to me like a serene setting for music listening. Well done!

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #20,977 of 153,510
If you're interested in doing a SchiitKit show, just contact denise@schiit.com. We'll go through the details and get you scheduled.

(Same goes for anyone else who's interested.)

I do not possess either opposable thumbs or the necessary human intellect. All the same, I look forward to seeing this stuff either in your store or via the streaming (steaming?) Schiit video.

Ah...Words.

Oh...And Denise is a wonder full person in the real world.

Jun 15, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #20,978 of 153,510
Looking forward for all the cool upcoming stuff. Too bad I can't get properly into the two-channel world for some time.

Got a new job and moving to a new city, but I have to share the apartment with a workmate. Oh well, maybe I'll expand my headphone rig.

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #20,979 of 153,510
Lately I been wanting to Bi-Amp My ADS speakers and been looking for electronic style cross overs, my choices are pro-audio and rare and out of production pieces with inflated prices. we need a Schiit crossover/processor. Call it the Heimdall or after his horn Gjallarhorn.

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #20,981 of 153,510
This question may have been answered previously, but did @Jason Stoddard say why they only did a single balanced input on the Vidar, for mono/bridged output mode only (and not have stereo balanced inputs)?

Is it just sort of inherent to the Vidar design that it couldn't support dual balanced input?

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #20,982 of 153,510
This question may have been answered previously, but did @Jason Stoddard say why they only did a single balanced input on the Vidar, for mono/bridged output mode only (and not have stereo balanced inputs)?

Is it just sort of inherent to the Vidar design that it couldn't support dual balanced input?

I would like to know this also. In my experience, balanced has a lower noise floor, than single ended.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #20,983 of 153,510
I remember some time ago Jason using the word "yuck" in relation to typical "bridged" amp design. Once it goes into production we'll probably get a detailed chapter. Where is Ableza? He knows circuit design.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #20,984 of 153,510
While I've read every post in this thread I'm blanking when it comes to 'reliable speculation' :ksc75smile: about the Vidar's price point. Has anyone suggested what price range might be anticipated for one or two of these critters? I'm currently shopping for new speakers and reexamining what my budget might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back