Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 15, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #20,986 of 153,534
This question may have been answered previously, but did @Jason Stoddard say why they only did a single balanced input on the Vidar, for mono/bridged output mode only (and not have stereo balanced inputs)?

Is it just sort of inherent to the Vidar design that it couldn't support dual balanced input?

Based on my memory of what Jason has said about the Vidar and the Jotunhiem designs:
Vidar is an evolution of the Jason's new pivot point amp design that first appeared in the Jot. This design allows the flexible use of the two sides of the ballanced amplifier to be used indepentaly single ended. Vidar is a true ballanced amp (when using the ballanced input) and does not convert the ballanced input into a single ended signal to be amplified by a single ended amplifier stage.

At this point I'm moving into my speculation and interpretation, Vidar has only one ballanced input so that you can use the two sides together as the true ballanced (mono) amp and the two single ended inputs so you can choose to use the two amplifier sides independently for a stereo amp. The Vidar does not have 4 sides to do two ballanced inputs. At a $700 price point you only get 2 quality sides. In you want 4 buy two Vidar's.

If you are looking for the typical stereo amp with ballanced inputs that converts the ballanced signal into a single ended signal for the amp stage you can get (from the pro audio market such as Radial Engineering or other places) boxes that will do the ballanced to single ended conversion and place them at the amp.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #20,987 of 153,534
While I've read every post in this thread I'm blanking when it comes to 'reliable speculation' :ksc75smile: about the Vidar's price point. Has anyone suggested what price range might be anticipated for one or two of these critters? I'm currently shopping for new speakers and reexamining what my budget might be.

Did you really read "every post in this thread"? :wink:
Joking aside, Jason stated more than once that the Vidar's estimated price should be $699.

See for example here:
A Quick Holiday Update on Vidar
[...]
First, we have chosen a heatsink and a matching chassis design. Which means we now know our costs to fairly high precision. The bad news: the cost doesn’t go down. However, it also doesn’t go up, either, so if you were planning on a $699 Vidar, you’ll be happy with a $699 Vidar.
[...]

and here:
Schiit Previews 2-Channel Line at RMAF (10/06/2016)

Jun 15, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #20,988 of 153,534
I remember some time ago Jason using the word "yuck" in relation to typical "bridged" amp design. Once it goes into production we'll probably get a detailed chapter. Where is Ableza? He knows circuit design.
Howdy. What's the question?

Jun 15, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #20,989 of 153,534
This question may have been answered previously, but did @Jason Stoddard say why they only did a single balanced input on the Vidar, for mono/bridged output mode only (and not have stereo balanced inputs)?

Is it just sort of inherent to the Vidar design that it couldn't support dual balanced input?

See PolarBehr's reply too.

I'll only add this quote from Jason:
It can be used as both--stereo amp with RCA inputs, or as a mono amp with a single XLR input.

There is no "bridging" circuitry (barf). The positive and negative phases of the XLR naturally turn Vidar into a mono amp with one channel as positive phase, and one channel as negative phase.

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #20,990 of 153,534
Howdy. What's the question?

Post 20981 & 82 on previous page.

Well I'm getting a little old but the memory is not completely gone if "yuck" is close enough to "barf"!:o2smile:

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #20,992 of 153,534

Post 20981 & 82 on previous page.

I can't speak to Jason's design but the simple answer is that bridging a stereo amp requires one side to be driven "high" while the other side is driven "low." A balanced audio signal is inherently differential, meaning it contains both high and low signals, so using this as the mono input facilitates bridging where using a single SE input would require inverting the signal to one of the amps, adding to circuit complexity. This is assuming that Vidar is operated in bridge mode when mono, of course.

Jun 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #20,993 of 153,534
image2_zpsszo9ye2e.jpg

image1_zpsvtwlk02z.jpg

Now my Tannoys are in. Freya's prepped. Bimby on all the time. Couldn't wait for the Vidars!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #20,997 of 153,534
Jun 16, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #20,998 of 153,534
image2_zpsszo9ye2e.jpg

image1_zpsvtwlk02z.jpg

Now my Tannoys are in. Freya's prepped. Bimby on all the time. Couldn't wait for the Vidars!

Congratulations! It's really kool to see all the interest Vidar is generating. I had the same turntable for a while, those Clear Audio cartridges have nice sound if you're using what It came with. Plus u can adjust the arm up and down for your vta. Kudos.

Hey Cozzi, his pile of Schiit may be smaller but look how neat it is!:L3000:

Cheers:beerchug:

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #20,999 of 153,534
Congratulations! It's really kool to see all the interest Vidar is generating. I had the same turntable for a while, those Clear Audio cartridges have nice sound if you're using what It came with. Plus u can adjust the arm up and down for your vta. Kudos.

Hey Cozzi, his pile of Schiit may be smaller but look how neat it is!:L3000:

Cheers:beerchug:
It is. Very nice indeed.
Is the TV hooked up to the amp?

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #21,000 of 153,534
It is. Very nice indeed.
Is the TV hooked up to the amp?
TV through optical spdif -> Bimby
UHD BD Player through coaxial -> Bimby
Computer through USB -> Bimby

Although generally I don't use Bimby for just TV watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back