Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 4, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #19,786 of 149,488
May 4, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #19,790 of 149,488
When Jason and Mike find out what's up with these chip prices...
Bui7tYACIAAspqA.jpg

May 4, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #19,792 of 149,488
Hey guys I'm a new subscriber to this forum as well but been reading through it for a number of weeks.

My first experience with Schiit gear was in purchasing a Gumby on the used market a few months ago, to be able to compare it to a couple of other DACs I was using in my 2-channel rig that just weren't quite satisfying the sound I was looking for (are we ever perfectly satisfied with our sound!!??)

At any rate, initially I was not blown away by the Gumby...

It just sounded so different than the other DACs I had been using (currently and in the past) that I had a hard time figuring out exactly what I was hearing and whether I actually preferred it. There was such an smoothness and delicacy to the sound, that it almost sounded less dynamic, less punchy and with less "sparkle" than my other DACs (which were actually less expensive).

However after giving the unit some warmup time, and a lot more listening time, what I came to realize was that my other DACs were actually the ones with aspects I no longer liked - my ESS/Wolfson based DACs were actually quite strident and sibilant compared to the Schiit, but I had simply become used to that as the sound of "dynamic" and "sparkly". And the detail and resolution of the Gumby was far, far superior as well. Soundstaging as well is another area as well that it excels massively.

I've since compared the Gumby to a couple of other well regarded DACs (one less expensive, one about the same price) however they couldn't compare.

There is no going back for me, I'm officially a Schiithead.

May 4, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #19,796 of 149,488
Cat x1
Dog x1
Rabbit x7
Guinea Pig x12
Hamster x2
Gerbil x1
Degu x2

Schitt x3

May 4, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #19,800 of 149,488
When was the Vidar presentation at the Schiitr again?
Oh yes, lets not get distracted. Sorry.
The Vidar is on display at the Schiitr right now.
A presentation as in announcement?
Who knows? We certainly don't.
We can however talk about probabilities and insights from our resident clairvoyant until we're blue in the face.
That " discussion" is going on for almost a year now.
Restart it? No problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back