Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #19,711 of 151,577
If you can afford it and enjoy and feel good about it by all means. Maybe some of the tech will trickle down to gear that's not "statement". It's real easy to spend over $1,000,000.00 on a two channel rig, especially with racks and cables. Heck less than that probably doesn't qualify as "statement" from the stuff I recently saw on display and the "statement' amps that were mentioned by someone. It's the thought of keeping it always "statement". The amps mentioned as "statement" won't be that for long as with the rest of the gear. That's all. Hard to explain that aspect of the "hobby":L3000:

To envy someone who has a million dollar system doesn't make that person any less happy and doesn't make me any happier. To each his own, live and let live, etc.

The only thing I might question is whether "statement" equipment really has technology that is worth trickling down. I'm not a big believer in fairy dust.

May 2, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #19,712 of 151,577
Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #19,715 of 151,577
...Why does an amplifier have to be that dang expensive when something like the Ragnarok could meet or exceed that performance for a fraction of the cost?...

It doesn't, but if there's demand and the market will bear it, it can and will. But I don't waste one minute fretting or lose a minute of sleep over what others do or don't buy whether I can afford it or not, or feel it is or isn't worth it.

I enjoy all the Schiit in my toy box, including the mighty Ragnarok. I've got plenty of flexibility, options and variety to suit my "listening wants / needs' of the moment.

It would be fun to audition some of the higher priced alternatives (statement products are always interesting) but I wouldn't expect any listening miracles with regards to the reproduced music listening experience. I'm sure there's plenty of competitively priced gear that would also meets my needs but I landed in the Schiit and decided to stay for any number of reasons. So with the money I've saved I can continue to indulge in better wines and pricey restaurants, a nice auto, concerts and shows, and other interests in home theater and flight computer simulation. And live comfortably within "my" budget, and that allows me to sleep well at night.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #19,716 of 151,577
I must confess that when I got to the part about the cast aluminum heat sinks I hoped that Vidar would have the same thing....oh wait....(all in fun) and Yggy mutibit trickled down right fine:)

May 2, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #19,717 of 151,577
The only thing I might question is whether "statement" equipment really has technology that is worth trickling down. I'm not a big believer in fairy dust.

My guess, not so much. But it's still interesting to see what different designers come up with for a best effort. Whether it truly advances sound reproduction or is worth it or not is another matter.

May 2, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #19,718 of 151,577
Ha, looks like I'll be doing some re-linking. Not a big deal. I intend to have another chapter up this week, so I should be able to do the re-linking at the same time.

We actually used that post to help nail down some link-consistency bugs, fixed them, and all of your chapter links should be pointing to the right places now.

Sorry about that.

May 2, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #19,719 of 151,577
I'm hoping the new "lol"-priced WA33 makes the old WA5 come down in price. For $2500 I could probably justify it. Tubes is really the only thing I'm missing at the moment with the Panache.

May 2, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #19,720 of 151,577
Personally, I always wanted to hear the Chord Dave. Looks like a piece of space art, but some folks think it sounds great. Too expensive for me, however.

May 2, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #19,721 of 151,577
Personally, I always wanted to hear the Chord Dave. Looks like a piece of space art, but some folks think it sounds great. Too expensive for me, however.

I agree. I'm always academically curious about statement pieces that gather momentum with good word of mouth but price is always a consideration. It would have to sound way beyond just good and better before I discuss things with my wallet. I been around long enough to see digital and solid state improve to the point where I've released my death grip on tubes. My personal feeling is that the performance differences sound wise between various pricing points in the gear of 50 years ago did correspond better to what I heard than what I've experienced in the past year among products with widely varying prices.

May 2, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #19,722 of 151,577
My guess, not so much. But it's still interesting to see what different designers come up with for a best effort. Whether it truly advances sound reproduction or is worth it or not is another matter.

I for sure know what you mean. I'm a recovering audiophile and used to lust after every latest and greatest "statement". I'm not fully recovered as I will lust after the Yiggy until I own one. That's enough "statement" for me now. I've been a Mike Moffat fanboy ever since I owned his Theta 5.

May 2, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #19,725 of 151,577
I for sure know what you mean. I'm a recovering audiophile and used to lust after every latest and greatest "statement". I'm not fully recovered as I will lust after the Yiggy until I own one. That's enough "statement" for me now. I've been a Mike Moffat fanboy ever since I owned his Theta 5.

With the electronics I was fortunate to be able go straight for MJ2, Yggy, and then Rag right out of the starting gate without intervening steps. I didn't have to consider space as my set up wasn't going to be sharing space with a PC, keyboard, mini speakers etc. so I was able to go straight to full sized models. Thanks in large part to many knowledgeable posters here at Head-Fi, (and a lot of reading) and with Schiit's 15 day return period and reasonable pricing structure I ended up with more for my money than I thought I would going into this project which started for me Jan. of 2016.

The key for me was carefully assessing various posters thoughts and bias's on different equipment and figuring out how they aligned with my own to make for a buying decision with a high probably of getting a keeper component. It worked for me!

The HP's were the hardest part, as readily different as they sound, it's still a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. Fortunately I was able to get extensive in home evaluation with each of the 4 I own as well as another 4 TOTL's I auditioned, and some other phones I had short term listening sessions with at dealers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back