Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #19,726 of 149,552
The HP's were the hardest part, as readily different as they sound, it's still a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. Fortunately I was able to get extensive in home evaluation with each of the 4 I own as well as another 4 TOTL's I auditioned, and some other phones I had short term listening sessions with at dealers.

You're a lucky guy to have had the chance to audition and home evaluate cans. You can feel how they hold onto your head, or how they keep falling of and how they sound with all your fav music. Good for you. Now there's a thing that can make me jealous just a iniewienie bit.

May 2, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #19,727 of 149,552
I love that people buy crazy stuff I can`t afford. Gives me a chance to look at it or listen to it without having to own it,
Not that I move in circles were 125.000 pound amps are common so I doubt I`ll ever get near an 888. A pity really because I am curious. (and yeah that spaceship Dave-thing looks cool indded0

May 2, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #19,728 of 149,552
I for sure know what you mean. I'm a recovering audiophile and used to lust after every latest and greatest "statement". I'm not fully recovered as I will lust after the Yiggy until I own one. That's enough "statement" for me now. I've been a Mike Moffat fanboy ever since I owned his Theta 5.

I'm a fan of Mike's work, too, although I never owned Theta equipment. The GMB was the best addition I ever made to my rig, it's the real thing. The Yggy is just superb, but too big for my current logistics.

May 2, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #19,730 of 149,552
You're a lucky guy to have had the chance to audition and home evaluate cans. You can feel how they hold onto your head, or how they keep falling of and how they sound with all your fav music. Good for you. Now there's a thing that can make me jealous just a iniewienie bit.

I have a near by mail order outfit that specializes in HP rentals (just about every brand and model excepting electrostatic HP's). They credited my rental fees towards any item I might buy from them so that certainly made it easy.

May 2, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #19,731 of 149,552
Enjoying the overture to Das Liebesverbot. Still figuring out this new interface though...

Now there's a thing!
Glad the earth is flat. A sphere would loose all music in space right?
No?
Did I mention that I feel that this is a really good look for you?
Brings out the eyes. Next time you can try the pastastrainer and go full pastafarian.
No idea if the Norse gods tolerate spaghettimonsters, but I`m pretty sure Loki would get it.

May 2, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #19,732 of 149,552
Did I mention that I feel that this is a really good look for you?
Brings out the eyes. Next time you can try the pastastrainer and go full pastafarian.
No idea if the Norse gods tolerate spaghettimonsters, but I`m pretty sure Loki would get it.

I hope they do, I'm a pastahaulic. Regular spaghetti with garlic and oil cooked out a bit dry in a cast iron skillet until the sliced garlic just turns brown around the edges. Had it like that al fresco in Milan years ago, never got over it. Still my favorite dish, anytime.

May 2, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #19,733 of 149,552
I hope they do, I'm a pastahaulic. Regular spaghetti with garlic and oil cooked out a bit dry in a cast iron skillet until the sliced garlic just turns brown around the edges. Had it like that al fresco in Milan years ago, never got over it. Still my favorite dish, anytime.
Ossobuco with a nice Ripasso or even a Barolo. Yum

May 2, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #19,734 of 149,552
If you guys want reasonable priced things, you need to change your opinion on these $125k monoblocks. We must scoff and say only fools would buy such a thing.

But instead we have people here wanting to hear these $125k monoblocks. This gives them legitimacy they do not deserve. You guys are falling so easily for their trap. "It costs so much, it must be good..."

May 2, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #19,735 of 149,552
If you guys want reasonable priced things, you need to change your opinion on these $125k monoblocks. We must scoff and say only fools would buy such a thing.

But instead we have people here wanting to hear these $125k monoblocks. This gives them legitimacy they do not deserve. You guys are falling so easily for their trap. "It costs so much, it must be good..."
I drove a 911 GT3 RS once...loved it...didnt buy t.

edit:
and man did that thing put a smile on my face

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #19,736 of 149,552

Legitimacy? Of course they are legitimate. Just like every other actual product.

I am saying that just like a La Ferrari or a 25,000 sqft house, luxury items exist because there is a market for them. If someone wants to spend the money and feels these things are worth the cost to them then who am I (or you) to judge? It conveys no more subjective quality onto the thing it only proves the fact that they can sell.

Is Bose more legitimate because they can sell a ton of products? How about MP3? It's all about a having a commercial marketplace. I think people who spend their money the way they see fit are doing exactly what they should do. It doesn't mean I think anyone else should follow suit.

May 2, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #19,738 of 149,552
There seems to be a market for everything imaginable. As far as HiFi goes people buy speaker cables that cost $100,000.00 and interconnects that cost $22,000.00 a pair to go along with statement mono blocks. It's amazing to me, but the market is there. I didn't realize just how expensive until I saw some of the products, looked, and it's listed. Thing is you just might need that 25,000 sq ft to properly house some of this gear (like a 1,000 sq ft listening room). Being a neophyte as to how these type sales and lifestyle might work, I do honestly wonder how the salesperson approaches their customer to tell them that their $100,000.00 speaker cable that is 6 months old has been replaced by a new model that sounds better, there is probably a trade up program.....and everyone is happy. As for me, I await Vidar and Eitr!

May 2, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #19,739 of 149,552
Yes they're big and heavy like a Ragnarok. So are the Norse Forest Cats.
They produce a lot of heat and can make a racket given the just input.
However, they lack the off switch on the back side and sometimes that sucks.
Pulling the power cord just above the aims doesn't work Eitr.
Speaking of which.....
The cat out of the bag yet?

I am still looking. I have been for about a year. I can not afford a "new" cat and so I go to the animal shelters.

May 3, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #19,740 of 149,552
Speaking of overpriced, overdesigned, pointless engineering...

A great example of engineering wrongdoing is the Juicero. It's a $400 machine that presses bags of pulp. You could design one that would perfectly squeeze them for less than $10, but these guys just went totally berserk nuts to make something that just squeezes bags. Sure, it's the best bag squeezer there is, but why? Why on earth? Who really needs this? Does it really do it THAT much better than squeezing it with your hand? It in fact does not. Didn't stop a bunch of people from investing millions in this thing, and a bunch of engineers from spending many, many hours of time and resources on designing gears and plates and door hinges and everything else for a completely pointless goal. I feel like many audio companies are just like Juicero, but they get away with it because their devices are not intended for practical purposes and there is quite a lot of subjectivity and psychology involved. Cheers to Schiit for not being another Juicero of audio.

https://blog.bolt.io/heres-why-juicero-s-press-is-so-expensive-6add74594e50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back