Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 3, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #16,893 of 150,789
I can't help but think that overall humanity would be better off if we started to think of us all as one whole instead of people from separate countries. I mean essentially all humans are the same thing so it seems mad that the world is so segregated but what do I know lol

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #16,894 of 150,789
  I can't help but think that overall humanity would be better off if we started to think of us all as one whole instead of people from separate countries. I mean essentially all humans are the same thing so it seems mad that the world is so segregated but what do I know lol

Agreed. I like that Schiit products are made in the US because we have better labor protections than some countries where many audio products are made (though still not the best), so I can be comfortable that workers aren't being exploited, not out of any sort of jingoism 

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #16,895 of 150,789

Until the film, "Independence Day" becomes reality, that is not going to happen.   And once the common enemy is defeated, certain factions will once again declare war on freedom in the name of some supposed deity.  The reality is that what men do in the name of "god", they do for themselves.

Back on topic.  I am awaiting (probably in vain) for VU Meters on a Schitt headphone amp.  And no, they do not cause "distortion".   They look bitchin'.

Any one that claims looks do not matter to people is full of the wrong kind of Schiit.    I do not listen to an amp, I listen to music via an amplifier. I do how ever, look at my equipment as that is a part of the enjoyment of same.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #16,896 of 150,789

Until the film, "Independence Day" becomes reality, that is not going to happen.   And once the common enemy is defeated, certain factions will once again declare war on freedom in the name of some supposed deity.  The reality is that what men do in the name of "god", they do for themselves.

Back on topic.  I am awaiting (probably in vain) for VU Meters on a Schitt headphone amp.  And no, they do not cause "distortion".   They look bitchin'.

Any one that claims looks do not matter to people is full of the wrong kind of Schiit.    I do not listen to an amp, I listen to music via an amplifier. I do how ever, look at my equipment as that is a part of the enjoyment of same.

The human race will unite as one long before Jason puts VU meters on any Schiit product.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #16,897 of 150,789

​Simple.  National pride.  I would think that where ever you come from, you would have at least a modicum of pride in your country and even if the reasons for such pride have been diluted of late, there is always hope when a nation returns to its roots, i.e. the people that made the country and works to better it self for the sake of the people.  America has long been populated by the Pigs of Animal Farm and that is true in politics, industry and more.   That is changing and while any one can change, what is needed is change for the better.  America is doing just that.  Great Britain too. 

I am American.  I would never hyphenate my nationality as do some folk.  I hold no allegiance to any other nation but stand behind such as Great Britain because they have begun to stand up for themselves.  If some thing is made here, as with Schiit products, and the quality is there, why not admire them for that reason alone?

Well put, thanks!

Agreed. I like that Schiit products are made in the US because we have better labor protections than some countries where many audio products are made (though still not the best), so I can be comfortable that workers aren't being exploited, not out of any sort of jingoism 

That's something that didn't cross my mind, a good point indeed

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #16,898 of 150,789

The human race will unite as one long before Jason puts VU meters on any Schiit product.

​His choice.  It is not a deal breaker for me, but I only buy what I find visually attractive.  For the priapic here, allow me to explain it.

A pair of nice VU Meters up front make it all the better.  For me.  May be not you, but I do not buy with any one but my self in mind.  VU meters would be the icing on the cake.

But there is nothing wrong with plain cake.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #16,900 of 150,789
Maybe, but I already have (most of) what you described, it's called a Walnut and it cost me a little over $30. :relieved:

Jason has commented about DAPs before and how its unlikely they would ever make one, but I think they are uniquely positioned to create a new type of DAP which would shake up the currently stale market.

Just take an existing DAP and remove all the bits Schiit doesn't have the current capabilities to do right now.

Remove the battery, screen, storage and operating system. What you are left with is love child of an Apple Shuffle and a Schiit Fulla 2 (minus a battery).

Batteries are annoying to integrate and get obsolete fast. The easiest way around this is to make this new DAP usb powered so you can use any cheap USB battery bank. Ditto for storage, just provide a micro sd slot.

If you don't need to manage playlists, then you don't need an operating system nor screen. Shuffle is all you need.

The feature list would be:
- usb powered via micro usb
- micro sd card slot
- 1/4" headphone out
- volume knob (which also turns off device at lowest level)
- play/stop/next song button (maybe one button, maybe two)
- flac support only

Internally it would be a Fulla 2, except instead of an usb controller there would be a system on a chip to read the micro sd card's file system and decode the flac to the dac.

Some nice to haves would to be able would be able to use the micro usb to manage the files on the micro sd card using a computer (but this would then require a usb controller). Another nice to have would be a way to delete the current song off the micro sd card. This would allow the workflow of just dumping a ton of new songs onto the device and be able to curate the songs as you listen.

I've looked at the DAP market and everything is so expensive. This new DAP would cost so little and does exactly what I want.

Would you buy this DAP if Schiit made it?

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #16,902 of 150,789
Feb 3, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #16,903 of 150,789
when a dac/amplifier like jotunheim but just single ended and with multibit dac? i think it would be a very popular product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back