Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 3, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #16,878 of 150,870
I was doing some research on tube amps and I had an idea for Schiit. An OTL tube amp for their 2 channel lineup. From my research the design is relatively inexpensive to implement and it produces a very pure signal to the speakers. Just an idea for down the road :)

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #16,879 of 150,870
Has Jason ever discussed the possibility of a balanced DAC with XLR outputs and the same chassis size as Jot? I seem to recall him saying it wouldn't happen because Bifrost, but maybe my memory is overly pessimistic.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #16,880 of 150,870
Hi all, I know Schiit doesn't comment (usually) about upcoming stuff but I'm getting into the analog side of things by putting together a modest turntable setup. Looking at Saga for the preamp so I can keep my lazy butt in the easy chair to adjust the volume and I need a phono preamp which of course would be the Mani currently if I'm going to stick with Schiit products. And frankly, I want to stick with Schiit products.

Has there been any whisper of a Mani update/refresh? It might be a bit superficial but even a Mani Maybe-A-Little-Bit-More-Uber sku that upgrades the chassis to the Modi MB|2U/Magni 2U chassis would be something I would be so incredibly down for.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #16,881 of 150,870

I think I can use that figure to pay off college debts and even a downpayment for a house, or get 2 to 20 of the new Sennheiser HE-1 electrostatic headphone systems!

FTFY...    
wink_face.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #16,882 of 150,870
Has there been any whisper of a Mani update/refresh? It might be a bit superficial but even a Mani Maybe-A-Little-Bit-More-Uber sku that upgrades the chassis to the Modi MB|2U/Magni 2U chassis would be something I would be so incredibly down for.

One of the items on Jason's list was some kind of "not digital" product.

Could be a phono thing.

Could be a deep fryer.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #16,884 of 150,870
Would it be tuned to 440 or 432? 
wink_face.gif

JJ 
atsmile.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #16,885 of 150,870
Jason has commented about DAPs before and how its unlikely they would ever make one, but I think they are uniquely positioned to create a new type of DAP which would shake up the currently stale market.

Just take an existing DAP and remove all the bits Schiit doesn't have the current capabilities to do right now.

Remove the battery, screen, storage and operating system. What you are left with is love child of an Apple Shuffle and a Schiit Fulla 2 (minus a battery).

Batteries are annoying to integrate and get obsolete fast. The easiest way around this is to make this new DAP usb powered so you can use any cheap USB battery bank. Ditto for storage, just provide a micro sd slot.

If you don't need to manage playlists, then you don't need an operating system nor screen. Shuffle is all you need.

The feature list would be:
- usb powered via micro usb
- micro sd card slot
- 1/4" headphone out
- volume knob (which also turns off device at lowest level)
- play/stop/next song button (maybe one button, maybe two)
- flac support only

Internally it would be a Fulla 2, except instead of an usb controller there would be a system on a chip to read the micro sd card's file system and decode the flac to the dac.

Some nice to haves would to be able would be able to use the micro usb to manage the files on the micro sd card using a computer (but this would then require a usb controller). Another nice to have would be a way to delete the current song off the micro sd card. This would allow the workflow of just dumping a ton of new songs onto the device and be able to curate the songs as you listen.

I've looked at the DAP market and everything is so expensive. This new DAP would cost so little and does exactly what I want.

Would you buy this DAP if Schiit made it?

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #16,886 of 150,870
Hi all, I know Schiit doesn't comment (usually) about upcoming stuff but I'm getting into the analog side of things by putting together a modest turntable setup. Looking at Saga for the preamp so I can keep my lazy butt in the easy chair to adjust the volume and I need a phono preamp which of course would be the Mani currently if I'm going to stick with Schiit products. And frankly, I want to stick with Schiit products.

Mike (Known as baldr on head fi) is the mastermind behind the Mani and there is discussions on his thread about the Mani and We of course voice our wish list that is a mishmash of ideas from from time to time but nothing definite. It seems the Manhattan Project has been a major focus. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #16,887 of 150,870

Noper.  

But if Schiit or anyone else decided to make a portable multibit DAC somehow (battery or not), I'd be ALL over it. I love the sound of my Bimby, and it would be most excellent to take that with me when head out the door each morning.

I sorta like the direction Chord is headed with the MojoPoly (a headless DAC/Amp wirelessly connected to a phone for screen duties), but I don't expect Chord to break away from FPGA-based DACs, so it's up to someone else to make great-and-portable multibit DAC. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #16,888 of 150,870
Jason has commented about DAPs before and how its unlikely they would ever make one, but I think they are uniquely positioned to create a new type of DAP which would shake up the currently stale market.

Just take an existing DAP and remove all the bits Schiit doesn't have the current capabilities to do right now.

Remove the battery, screen, storage and operating system. What you are left with is love child of an Apple Shuffle and a Schiit Fulla 2 (minus a battery).

Batteries are annoying to integrate and get obsolete fast. The easiest way around this is to make this new DAP usb powered so you can use any cheap USB battery bank. Ditto for storage, just provide a micro sd slot.

If you don't need to manage playlists, then you don't need an operating system nor screen. Shuffle is all you need.

The feature list would be:
- usb powered via micro usb
- micro sd card slot
- 1/4" headphone out
- volume knob (which also turns off device at lowest level)
- play/stop/next song button (maybe one button, maybe two)
- flac support only

Internally it would be a Fulla 2, except instead of an usb controller there would be a system on a chip to read the micro sd card's file system and decode the flac to the dac.

Some nice to haves would to be able would be able to use the micro usb to manage the files on the micro sd card using a computer (but this would then require a usb controller). Another nice to have would be a way to delete the current song off the micro sd card. This would allow the workflow of just dumping a ton of new songs onto the device and be able to curate the songs as you listen.

I've looked at the DAP market and everything is so expensive. This new DAP would cost so little and does exactly what I want.

Currently have a Sansa Clip for that use case and, for a while, thought about replacing it with the Xduoo X2. But...then I got TomTom Spark + Music and I never use the Sansa Clip any more.

On the higher fidelity side of the equation, I have an LG V20 (previously had the V10) to handle the harder to drive headphones. Personally, I'd rather have less stuff to carry around than more...so a DAP is a non-starter for me when I can get good sound out of my phone.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #16,889 of 150,870
Wouldn't put my hopes high for a DAP. Too small a thing, too much a power (draw). Also believe Schiit commented on DAPs being out of their philosophy.
Portable Multibit device? Perhaps. But then there's Modi and you still need an amp. A good combo would be about $400, but based on experience it'll never sound as good desktop boxes.

On a side note, always wondered how the pricier A&K DAPs compare to desktop variations at quarter of the price (not necessarily Schiit's). I'd like to believe the DAP sounds less good, but won't be finding out anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back