Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #528 of 7,161
Hi 333jeffery - could you explain? Vocals sound better because... (e.g. more cohesive? better microdynamics? tone/texture? etc)

TIA

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #529 of 7,161
Hi 333jeffery - could you explain? Vocals sound better because... (e.g. more cohesive? better microdynamics? tone/texture? etc)

TIA

I could probably chime in on that one... If I could put my finger on it, I would say that vocals are 'better' in the sense that they are more 'accurate'.

I feel the sound is more accurate in two ways. 1. Accurate transient peaks and troughs, in terms of natural gain and decline. That was one of the first things I noticed with the Gungnir. I would venture to guess that vinyl does this very well, in that the signal is not quantized, but infinite in volume changes. 2. Good frequency separation ie. 'definition'. Less sloppiness in terms of accurate retrieval/reproduction of frequency data.

Exactly in line with what one would expect from significant and meaningful advancement in DAC technology and techniques. I believe the Gungnir and other budget DACs like it are the wave of the future. Very good digital techniques for the masses! Forget EMM etc. and their $30K DAC'.

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #530 of 7,161
Grokit,

Can you remind me whether you got the USB option? And were you able to compare toslink and coax direct vs via v192?

Yes I have the USB option. I liked the optical (Bravo) and coax (V192/Bravo) connections better but have been re-visiting the USB to see if it can catch up with some burning in. I will re-visit the V192 coax again soon, as the Bravo is being re-located to iPad land. Between the Bravo and the V192 they sound very similar via coax but the AES/EBU output of the V192 sounds superior to me, and of course it has 192k capability.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #531 of 7,161
Quote:
Yes I have the USB option. I liked the optical (Bravo) and coax (V192/Bravo) connections better but have been re-visiting the USB to see if it can catch up with some burning in. I will re-visit the V192 coax again soon, as the Bravo is being re-located to iPad land. Between the Bravo and the V192 they sound very similar via coax but the AES/EBU output of the V192 sounds superior to me, and of course it has 192k capability.

Were you able to use some sort of adaptor for AES/EBU into the Gungnir, or was this into a different DAC?

And in general are the 24/96 vs 24/192 capabilities of toslink usually source or DAC related?

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #532 of 7,161
AiDee, it's hard to put into words, but I'll try. Vocals on the Gungnir have a richer, more full-bodied sound than they do on the Bifrost. I don't know the technical terms for this, just the differences I've heard with the two DACs so far.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #533 of 7,161

Were you able to use some sort of adaptor for AES/EBU into the Gungnir, or was this into a different DAC?

And in general are the 24/96 vs 24/192 capabilities of toslink usually source or DAC related?

It was with my Matrix Mini-i. Like the Gungnir it's a superb value but not quite in the same class. At some point I will have to re-visit it in this system for comparison.

I've been looking at some 110 to 75 ohm, AES/EBU to BNC adapters, but I'll probably just stick with coax. I sure wish I could trade the 2nd set of SE outputs for an AES-EBU input!

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #539 of 7,161
My target DAC was Leema Elements DAC, but for now I'm wait to see how Schiit Statement DAC will be, and then decide between these three... :)

And maybe at that time the USB glitch will be fixed...

Interesting stuff! Yet another company this gringo has not seen before. Not sure if I could even purchase one of those in the US?

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #540 of 7,161
Quote:

No. It's an 8x oversampling DAC (with reference to the digital filter); the SD modulator runs at 128x oversampling.

That said, the AKM DACs I've heard are the closest SD DACs to NOS, but they definitely don't have a stereotypically NOS sound. I haven't heard the Gungnir though. Would love to. I'll probably pick one up if I can't decide on an Audio-GD PCM1704 DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back