Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #302 of 7,049
Quote:
You mean Mjolnir? Gungnir is a DAC only.

Whoops, slip off the mind.  I fixed it in the post so it won't draw confusion later!

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #303 of 7,049
Quote:
Whoops, slip off the mind.  I fixed it in the post so it won't draw confusion later!

Gungnir helps things out a bit though. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #304 of 7,049
Gungnir shipped today! 6 days after I ordered it. Not bad at all! Very good turn around compared to the last 3 components I bought via internet. So far so good!

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #305 of 7,049
Newbie head-fi'er here. Do you guys think that the benefit of a Gungnir would be wasted with Asgard or Valhalla amps? I recently picked up an Asgard to drive my ATH-M50's and was tempted to jump straight to a Gungnir for a DAC after reading about it here, though I can't afford to get a Mjolnir at the same time.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #306 of 7,049
Quote:
Newbie head-fi'er here. Do you guys think that the benefit of a Gungnir would be wasted with Asgard or Valhalla amps? I recently picked up an Asgard to drive my ATH-M50's and was tempted to jump straight to a Gungnir for a DAC after reading about it here, though I can't afford to get a Mjolnir at the same time.

What are you using as a DAC right now? 

If I were you, I'd start with something like Bifrost and get better cans with the rest of the money that you may set aside for a Gungnir. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #307 of 7,049
Quote:

Wondering the same but with a Lyr instead of Asgard/Valhalla.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #308 of 7,049
I think its always tough to decide how much to spend when you have some options.

I, personally, spend the most that I feel comfortable with, but only after EXHAUSTIVE research. I don't look back after that. To save a few hundred bucks when it really doesn't mean that much to you at the time, can turn out to be regrettable.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #309 of 7,049
Quote:

Good question, and the answer will depend on your cans (I'm not familiar with the M50s) and budget. I was blissfully happy with the Bifrost/Lyr. But when I went to the Mjolnir, I noticed much music sounding slightly harsh with the Bi/Mj. Then I got the Gungnir, and all that went away. Not to mention even more detail, and a sense of relaxation and flow to the music (sorry for the imprecise audiophile blather, but hopefully you get the point.) I use Audeze LCD-3s, BTW.

So, I would recommend the Gungnir if you can at all afford it (and you can hook it up to your speakers system as well, with the multiple outputs) because I suspect you'd have to spend a metric ton more money to really better it. In other words, buy it now and don't be tempted to upgrade in a few months, as you might be with the Bifrost.

Haven't tried the Gun/Lyr combo, but must remember to do that if I ever get tired of the Mjolnir.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #311 of 7,049
I'll try my balanced UERM when I get home in about an hour.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #312 of 7,049
Quote:

Do you have speakers? Are you planning on upgrading from the M50? The Gungnir is overkill for that headphone imo. I doubt you'd appreciate the improvement it presents over the cheaper Bifrost if you had such a limited transducer at the end of the chain. I suspect the baby Schiit amps would present a bottleneck as well. You'll reap more tangible rewards by upgrading your headphones first.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #313 of 7,049
Sound on UERM is very good. No hiss or buzzing.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #314 of 7,049
Quote:

Do you have speakers? Are you planning on upgrading from the M50? The Gungnir is overkill for that headphone imo. I doubt you'd appreciate the improvement it presents over the cheaper Bifrost if you had such a limited transducer at the end of the chain. I suspect the baby Schiit amps would present a bottleneck as well. You'll reap more tangible rewards by upgrading your headphones first.

Hmmm, then would hte lyr in a gungnir>lyr>LCD2 pose as a bottle neck as well? main reason is because the lyr was supposed to be a good compliment to the audezes and i need to upgrade my dac and im debating between getting a gungnir now and waiting for statement which was supposedly estimated to be revealed end of year

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #315 of 7,049
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm, then would hte lyr in a gungnir>lyr>LCD2 pose as a bottle neck as well? main reason is because the lyr was supposed to be a good compliment to the audezes and i need to upgrade my dac and im debating between getting a gungnir now and waiting for statement which was supposedly estimated to be revealed end of year

The LCD-2 is a lot of fun from the Lyr and you can tweak it to be more balanced with the right tubes. However the Lyr is nowhere as capable as the Mjolnir in terms of transparency, as refined in bass control and extension, or as accurate in imaging. If you're upgrading from the FiiO E7 in your profile the Gungnir will be an eyeopener. You just won't hear its best with the Lyr in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back