Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #181 of 7,058
I'm leaving mine on until it reaches at least 100 hours. I remember my buddies Bifrost smoothening out over the initial couple of weeks. There is a slight level of HF harshness right now but it's not too bad.

The Gungnir is running into my parasound p/ld (balanced). I have my eyes on the mjolnir but not until I upgrade from my q701's. i'm thinking LCD-2.

I plan on experimenting with different sources .... I want to see what turns on the "buy better gear light". So far my MacBook's USB and optical outs are locking with the vcxo's and thats with and without pure music. The sbt is also high end enough for vcxo.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #182 of 7,058
Late 2009 iMac 27" with optical out locking on VCXO here as well -- no hiccups at all. All previous comments hold true with my experience thus far (coming from Bifrost).  Only have 20 hours on it so letting it 'bake' a little before posting additional commentary.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #183 of 7,058
As I sit here evaluating the USB input of the Gungnir, I find my mind wandering to the possibility of what to connect to the second set of RCA outs...

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #184 of 7,058

Poor photo of my new monitor stand; I had to move the EQ anyways to make room for an incoming WEE so now I have much better access to it. The EQ also lets the Gungnir breath with its add-on isolation feet while actually supporting my monitor.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #185 of 7,058
Quote:

Poor photo of my new monitor stand; I had to move the EQ anyways to make room for an incoming WEE so now I have much better access to it. The EQ also lets the Gungnir breath with its add-on isolation feet while actually supporting my monitor.

Very nice, Grokit. What is sitting under the EQ on top of the Gungnir?

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #186 of 7,058
Look like the manual.  More importantly... how's the MF V192 treating you?  On the Gungnir, to keep it on topic :wink:

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #187 of 7,058
Yep, that's the manual. I haven't tried the V192 on the Gungnir yet, looking for that RCA>BNC cable. Ordered a Belkin RCA, not sure if the USB will reach, etc. Will report back on the USB adapters (have a Bravo too) and toslink. Just slipped on the LCD2 for a bit, again later.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #188 of 7,058
I've tried three other sources that I thought would turn on the 'upgrade ur gear' light and none of them did.

Used a Sony Walkman d-ej855 with optical, a Sony bdp-s350 with coax and a Sony dvps-300 with coax. All of them got vcxo.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #189 of 7,058
In that case, the "upgrade your gear" light should be re-coined to "what sort of schiit did you just plug into me?"

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #190 of 7,058
I have a super-budge Samsung DVD player that ill have to dig up and try on gungnir. If that doesn't turn on the Lofi light then ill be surprised. I bet satellite tv receiver boxes turn it on.... At least that's what the site references.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #193 of 7,058
Quote:
I have a super-budge Samsung DVD player that ill have to dig up and try on gungnir. If that doesn't turn on the Lofi light then ill be surprised. I bet satellite tv receiver boxes turn it on.... At least that's what the site references.

We've also now found that some USB-SPDIF converters light the "Buy Better Gear" light reliably as well. Even some that are supposedly asynchronous. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #195 of 7,058
Hey grokit - do you notice any difference between the USB and SPDIF inputs? I know its early, but we are all kind of anxious to pull the trigger and buy one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back