Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #121 of 7,138
Quote:
Mine's finally en route!
beerchug.gif

Excellent!
Mine is due to arrive in Pgh next Wednesday

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #122 of 7,138
How is the AdaptiClock working?  Does it do a good job of recognizing poor quality sources and high quality sources?  It will be interesting to see which transports make the 'buy better gear' light turn on.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #123 of 7,138
I updated my Eximus vs. Gungnir comments regarding detail. They are pretty damn close. The Eximus has more forward mids and crispier upper treble so on some songs they sound a little different. I will dig up some suggested songs to A/B and update some more.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #126 of 7,138
I have a ref5se and ref150, and ordered a gungnir last week. I also was looking for a balanced dac. I am using a Metrum Octave now, which I find to be excellent. For comparison, I have had a few pricy dacs in the past, and tried a Bifrost for a bit. I did like the Bifrost for several attributes, but preferred the Octave overall for its increased resolution and lack of any signature.

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #127 of 7,138
Does anyone know if the Gungnir is non-upsampling like the Bifrost?

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #129 of 7,138
Gungnir doesn't upsample.

So far impressed with both Schiit stacks. It's still early on, but these are keepers.

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #130 of 7,138

So far impressed with both Schiit stacks. It's still early on, but these are keepers.

How do you reach the volume know if you are right handed? Cable seems to be in the way

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #131 of 7,138
Quote:
How do you reach the volume know if you are right handed? Cable seems to be in the way

Left handed here, but use my right hand for volume control. There's about a 2 finger spacing between the pot and cable.
It has posed no issue for me, being non-fat-fingered. 
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #132 of 7,138
Quote:

Stack looks good! That thing really needs a turntable on top....in silver of course. 
cool.gif
  Still has my favorite volume pot of all time...

Quote:
I don't think Gungnir upsamples.  Something about white guys not being able to dance.

As far as I know, upsampling causes Mike to break out in hives....

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #133 of 7,138
Quote:

Stack looks good! That thing really needs a turntable on top....in silver of course. 
cool.gif
  Still has my favorite volume pot of all time...

As far as I know, upsampling causes Mike to break out in hives....

How can one argue with that. The pot is really nice, glad Schiit stepped it up from Lyr.

Here I thought it caused him to turn green. HULK SMASH!

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #134 of 7,138
Looking very nice, paradoxper. :) Thumbs up. And more important; hope it suits your ears as well. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #135 of 7,138
Quote:
Looking very nice, paradoxper. :) Thumbs up. And more important; hope it suits your ears as well. 

Thanks Loevhagen. There's some needed smoothing out still. Other than that, I'm quite enthralled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back