Schiit Gungnir DAC
Feb 6, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #5,597 of 7,082
From my personal tests I found the XLR out a little more cleaner and a little more harsh than the RCA out.

And its that harshness thats bothering me. Do you think the upper midrange-lower treble sounds a little compressed with XLR? I can't tell if its that or just that the extra volume is making it seem that way.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #5,598 of 7,082
I am not sure and can't describe it but there was something bugging me with Gumby OG at the upper registers.
Sometimes I thought it was fatiguing and I believe it was at the registers you describe.
With my HD800s and MJ2 after a lot of listening tests at the end I preferred the single ended out of gumby as I thought it was more full and less harsh although lacking a little bit at detail.
As for compression / veil although I thought gumby being quite clear and not lacking at detail I changed my mind after listening to a few ESS Sabre dac's!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #5,599 of 7,082
I'm running a fully-balanced system and don't hear any harshness, compression or veil anywhere in the frequency spectrum.
Actually, quite the opposite - just sweet music reproduction ... very analogue-sounding.

I did have an issue with the amp being too powerful for some cans, especially low-impedance planars.

Here's a trick that helped me (and no, I'm not going to RCA connections).
My source is a Macbook Pro running JRiver23 with 16/44.1 FLAC or higher resolution music on the installed SSD.
JRiver has a DSP studio with a pre-amp slider. So, I enabled DSP studio and set the pre-amp at -9dB.
That let me increase the volume setting of the amplifier itself and keep the same listening level on the HPs.

This "trick" lets the amp operate in a better power range. The Bryston BHA-1 thanks me every time I listen.

I also use the -9dB preamp setting with my HD800 headphones, along with a 2dB dip at 6kHz that works wonders :)

FWIW and YMMV, as always.
Cheers,
RCB

ps. These are all subjective listening impressions. There are more variables than are being discussed here!
If an ESS Sabre DAC sounds better to you, then go for it ... and, happy listening.

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #5,601 of 7,082
As for compression / veil although I thought gumby being quite clear and not lacking at detail I changed my mind after listening to a few ESS Sabre dac's!

Oops, seems like I read that sentence backward ... sorry about that and thanks for clarifying.
:)

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #5,603 of 7,082
Right ... the "fake and metallic tonality" is what Mike can overcome with his MB technology and analogue filter.
His aim is to make the DACs sound more analogue ... and IMO he has succeeded.

Most DS DACs do sound "fake and metallic," at least to me. As you said, mostly in the upper registers.
The funny (?) thing is the DS DACs measure better on the bench, but (IMO) they sound worse.
Some folks claim the DS DACs "are" better because they measure better.
I disagree with that. IMO, MB DACs sound better so they win!

As I went from Bifrost RCA to DS Gungnir balanced, the metallic sound softened, but it was still audible.
When I went from (both balanced) Gungnir to Gumby, the metallic effect disappeared.
The sound stage deepened. The mids and treble way more realistic.

That step was my game-changer!
I stopped my DAC journey at Gumby. The Yggy is more resolving, but it's too heavy for my old bones :)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #5,604 of 7,082
Ok I was able, to get around the volume issue by added these Hosa ATT488 Adjustable XLR Attenuators.

61Sz2sOoUWL._SL500_.jpg

Its has 3 settings -20dB ,-30dB and -40dB

After plugging them in and setting them to -40dB, I played some loud Synth Rock music by Ultraboss. I was able to set my volume knob to %50 on my Parasound HINT, and get around ~65dBA @ 1m of noise using my sound level meter.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #5,605 of 7,082
Better than digital attenuation. :wink:

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #5,607 of 7,082
I have the Gen 5 USB board for my Gungnir and a Jotunheim (amp only) coming in today. With the Gen 5 USB in place should I remove my Wyrd from the chain (never had any USB issues) or just leave it in place? Thanks.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #5,609 of 7,082
Right ... the "fake and metallic tonality" is what Mike can overcome with his MB technology and analogue filter.
His aim is to make the DACs sound more analogue ... and IMO he has succeeded.

A small quibble: @Baldr aims to make DAC's that sound like real music.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    608 bytes · Views: 0
Feb 16, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #5,610 of 7,082
I've received a brand new Schiit Gungnir yesterday and I noticed that the digital coax port has a lot of wiggle play. Theres no problems with the sound, but I was wondering if this could be a cause for concern. I've already contacted Schiit about it and am waiting for a reply. But I also wanna know if any of you have experienced this.

I had the same issue. I ended up getting a cable that has a BNC connector, and I'm really happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back