Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 22, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #4,291 of 7,058
I'm feeding my DAC from a mojo audio linear power supplied Mac mini with a wyrd (usb)

Would the sound improve much if I switched the source to Simaudio's new moon neo mind network streamer? Using one of it's digital outputs?

Mobile product link below

http://m.simaudio.com/en/product/106-network-streaming-music-player.html

Or would adding this Mutec usb to digital converter to the existing Mac mini chain improve things?

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #4,292 of 7,058
I'm feeding my DAC from a mojo audio linear power supplied Mac mini with a wyrd (usb)

Would the sound improve much if I switched the source to Simaudio's new moon neo mind network streamer? Using one of it's digital outputs?

Mobile product link below

http://m.simaudio.com/en/product/106-network-streaming-music-player.html

Or would adding this Mutec usb to digital converter to the existing Mac mini chain improve things?

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

I would suspect the Moon Neo using the SPDIF coax connection would give you the best audio. But that is just a guess based on the fact that USB is never in the picture.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #4,295 of 7,058

If someone's not familiar with the need to let the DAC warm up for a couple days then they may be initially disappointed with the Gumby. That was my experience.

Very true.  Then, leave it powered on and warm all the time (unless lightening threatens).  The Gumby when warm will sound very consistent and provide exceptional SQ.  That's my experience.

Cheers,
RCB

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #4,296 of 7,058
Curious:  Anyone here familiar with the Denafrip Ares?  Any opinions, founded or not, on how it would compare with a Gumby?

Apr 25, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #4,297 of 7,058
If the stars align, my gumby upgrade should return home today! My day at work needs to go faster...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #4,298 of 7,058
So, I’m currently trying to decide on which DAC and amp I’ll purchase in a somewhat near future, and the Gumby got my attention again. The problem however is that I’m not sure what to look at in terms of an amp to pair with the Gumby. Obviously, I’ve considered the Mjolnir 2, but just not sure if it fits in the description of what I’d like in an amp.

Ideally, I’d want that straight wire with gain, but that is probably not easy to come by at my budget, which I should add is preferably no more than $1000. I don’t want an amp that would hold the Gumby back and act as a bottleneck in my system, if that’s possible.

An amp that doesn’t color the sound too much, is fast with a tight bass, able to present all microdetails and the smallest of differences in dynamics. That is probably among the things I’d value the most in an amp.

I know my question is about finding an amp, but wasn’t sure if the Mjolnir 2 thread was the right place to ask for recommendations of other amps. I hope I turned to the right thread, and that maybe some of you Gumby users could point me in the right direction.

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #4,299 of 7,058
Jotunheim or Mjolnir 2 with LiSST tubes might be your two best options. Tube amps can be very transparent and quick. If you can find a Eddie Current Black Widow, that would be a great option as it's very competent and technical yet has a warmth much like a really good tube amp.

This might not be a bad option, although I haven't personally heard it:
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649335802-bryston-bha1-headphone-amplifier/

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #4,300 of 7,058
Both BHA-1 and Black Widow seem like good candidates, but hard to come by in EU. Thanks for the recommendations though, will look for availability on both again later on.

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #4,301 of 7,058
Listening to the Gumby from a cold start it was already clear it was a different DAC. Even after not listening for the 1-2 weeks down time when it was being upgraded, it was quite obvious that it was different from the D/S gungnir that I was so familiar with (owned for 4-5 years). As it has warmed up in the last 2 days it has "opened up"... initially it was a bit laid-back and "shy", but now the sound has fleshed out and filled in nicely. The biggest difference really is similar to many impressions here... much more spatial and tonal realism with resolution... especially from FLAC rips of CDs.

Gonna give it a few more days to see if the sound will change more and then spend some time familiarizing with the Gumby before I post more detailed impressions. But so far... it's quite a treat :grin:

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #4,302 of 7,058
Both BHA-1 and Black Widow seem like good candidates, but hard to come by in EU. Thanks for the recommendations though, will look for availability on both again later on.
I can give a thumbs up to the BHA-1. It's been my only amp for a couple years now, and I love it. Solid as a rock and very transparent. Not bright for a SS amp. Very powerful. My GMB / BHA-1 combination is very nice at the price point.

I've heard many good comments about the Mjolnir2 but have no personal experience - it gives the option of rolling tubes, if you're into that. Both the BHA-1 and Mjolnir2 are fully balanced, which is what you want with the Gumby.

Good luck on the search!
RCB

May 6, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #4,304 of 7,058
I ordered mine. Can't wait but must....

Update: Shipped! Yay!

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #4,305 of 7,058
For any UK Head-Fier's, the price of Gungnir Multibit on Schiit.eu.com is now £1100, down from £1260.

I had noticed it went up which I posted to Jason on his thread, glad it has gone back down again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back