Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 8, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #4,156 of 7,072
It seems more and more DACs are offering user-selectable filters.  I see this option in DACs ranging from the inexpensive TEAC UD-301, to the Auralic series, and even the custom FPGA-based DACs from the likes of PS Audio.

Among those options is often a 'no filter' option, essentially turning the DAC into a NOS DAC, to be used in conjunction with off-board up-sampling by something like HQ Player.

Gungnir seems about due for a refresh (the DS version still uses older AKM chips) and I'm curious what features others would want in a revised Gungnir.

I would be very surprised if they ever changed anything that major because the whole premise behind Schiits DACs (other than the Modi) is to have things upgradeable so you don't get technological obsolescence. Adding something like a filter switch when there is only 1 button seems a bit of a stretch; I guess they could do something like hold the button to change the filter but personally I can't really see them ever doing anything like that.

Also why would you want to go NOS when you can use the mega combo burrito anyway... Seems like that would be missing the point of the current upgrade trends.

I think the guys who use off-board filtering (note: I'm not one of them) believe that there is a wider range of filter choices to play with if one separates the filter from the DAC chip itself.

I'm not advocating for this approach, but it does seem to be trending, at least at sites like CA.

Some of us use DSPs and EQs that resample to a higher sample rate, so might as well keep it at "NOS" and not resample it again with the DAC's internal filter. Maybe a future Gungnir can have a NOS mode like Biforst at a max sample rate? This probably won't make much of a difference, given how good Gungnir's internal filter is. The user interface and dozens of filter choices of CA's favorite HQPlayer is insane and takes the joy out of music listening. Anyway, what Gungnir really needs is a better USB input. C-Media that Schiit is using in their products is pretty mediocre and unstable relatively to other USB DACs. Although Regen works great with Schiit, I would rather not have to deal with third party USB devices. Whatever Regen or a similar device is doing, should be done inside the DAC.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #4,157 of 7,072
Some of us use DSPs and EQs that resample to a higher sample rate, so might as well keep it at "NOS" and not resample it again with the DAC's internal filter. Maybe a future Gungnir can have a NOS mode like Biforst at a max sample rate? This probably won't make much of a difference, given how good Gungnir's internal filter is. The user interface and dozens of filter choices of CA's favorite HQPlayer is insane and takes the joy out of music listening. Anyway, what Gungnir really needs is a better USB input. C-Media that Schiit is using in their products is pretty mediocre and unstable relatively to other USB DACs. Although Regen works great with Schiit, I would rather not have to deal with third party USB devices. Whatever Regen or a similar device is doing, should be done inside the DAC.

Gungnir and Yggy pass original samples through at 8 over.  Bifrost passes original samples through at 4 over.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 8, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #4,158 of 7,072

Gungnir and Yggy pass original samples through at 8 over.  Bifrost passes original samples through at 4 over.

How do you get 8 over samples into Yggy or Gumby? As best as I can see, the max I can get into Gumby or Yggy is 24/192. So it seems no matter what we get at least one 2x upsample, right?

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #4,159 of 7,072
By the way, those folks over at Computer Audiophile are real high on NOS DACs and letting software in the computer do any upsampling. It's like a religion to them.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #4,160 of 7,072

How do you get 8 over samples into Yggy or Gumby? As best as I can see, the max I can get into Gumby or Yggy is 24/192. So it seems no matter what we get at least one 2x upsample, right?

8 over means 8 x 44.1 or 48KHz sample rate.  4 over means 4 x 44.1 or 48KHz sample rate.  Engineering gab.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 8, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #4,161 of 7,072
  8 over means 8 x 44.1 or 48KHz sample rate.  4 over means 4 x 44.1 or 48KHz sample rate.  Engineering gab.

Got it.

8 x 44.1 = 352.8
8 x 48 = 384

So, if the most I can feed into Yggy before it upsamples is 192, doesn't that means there will be at least one 2x upsample in Yggy or Gumby.

Kick me if I am being dense here.....

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #4,162 of 7,072
Got it.

8 x 44.1 = 352.8
8 x 48 = 384

So, if the most I can feed into Yggy before it upsamples is 192, doesn't that means there will be at least one 2x upsample in Yggy or Gumby.

Kick me if I am being dense here.....

Yes, that is my understanding.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #4,163 of 7,072
My Gumby/Mjo2 came in tonight. It sounds 'nice'. I'm currently listening through balanced connection Beyer T5p2s, 6922 tubes, usb printer cable, and Flacs via Windows Media Player. I have an RME 9632 soundcard and SPDIF connections on order and I guess switching away from Windows Media Player is advised. Also, I ought to be listening via Ether Flows before long.

Will Keep Tinkering,
-Bill

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #4,164 of 7,072
  My Gumby/Mjo2 came in tonight. It sounds 'nice'. I'm currently listening through balanced connection Beyer T5p2s, 6922 tubes, usb printer cable, and Flacs via Windows Media Player. I have an RME 9632 soundcard and SPDIF connections on order and I guess switching away from Windows Media Player is advised. Also, I ought to be listening via Ether Flows before long.

Will Keep Tinkering,
-Bill

Big changes!!!

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #4,165 of 7,072

Will Keep Tinkering,
-Bill

Nice. Where do you buy the Gumby? 

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #4,166 of 7,072
  Nice. Where do you buy the Gumby? 

I bought it from the 'For Sale' forum here on Head-Fi. It's in mint shape.

Someone suggested I give the Gumby 48 hours to warm up and to try JRiver for bit perfect output, so I'll make that switch in a bit.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #4,167 of 7,072

I bought it from the 'For Sale' forum here on Head-Fi. It's in mint shape.

Someone suggested I give the Gumby 48 hours to warm up and to try JRiver for bit perfect output, so I'll make that switch in a bit.

Yes, you want Gumby's components to temperature stabilize so they operate as intended. I would recommend using bit perfect software that will allow you set it up so all source material is sent to Gumby in its native format. For example, you would want Red Book (16/44.1) content sent to Gumby at 16/44.1. Gumby has awesome upsampling filters built in.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #4,169 of 7,072

Yes, you want Gumby's components to temperature stabilize so they operate as intended. I would recommend using bit perfect software that will allow you set it up so all source material is sent to Gumby in its native format. For example, you would want Red Book (16/44.1) content sent to Gumby at 16/44.1. Gumby has awesome upsampling filters built in.

The 48 hours to warm up is for every time? Which means just keep Gumby on all the time? Sorry, I am quite new here...

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #4,170 of 7,072
The 48 hours to warm up is for every time? Which means just keep Gumby on all the time? Sorry, I am quite new here...

Leaving it on has been recommended by Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back