Schiit Gungnir DAC
Dec 30, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #3,991 of 7,068

The warm-up period does not refer to the temperature of the component itself, it's more about the internal electronic parts reaching a thermal and electrical stability. So, no worries about being in a cold room, and as was said above, give it until the 4th or 5th to really assess what you have. Congrats on finding your end-game DAC!

Thanks
beerchug.gif
  I'm already very impressed with the Gumby and it's really only been on for around 2 days now:)

My Gumby sounds best after around 10 days of warm-up. Never heard any DAC that does Piano better (apart from the Yggy maybe..)

10 days lol. I actually work out of town for 14 days on and 7 days off, so I don't really plan on leaving the Gumby on for the 14 days when I am not even at home:)  But I am actually extremely happy with how it sounds now after around 2 days time...But I won't complain if it gets even better
beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #3,992 of 7,068
I've heard the Yggy at a meet, and own the GMB. I love the GMB, but thought (in brief listening) that the Yggy was a bit more resolving.

I remember a comment by Jason on his thread (months ago) that he prefers the GMB to Yggy for his home rig, due to the slightly warmer sound. FWIW.

I recently changed from using an AQ Cinnamon toslink to a Wywires Platinum USB connection between my MacPro and the GMB. So far the SQ is great. I was a bit annoyed with the build quality of the Cinnamon. I was also apprehensive about going back to USB, as I'd had issues in the past with slow data transfer that caused the DAC to hang (on the bad data). Have not experienced any issues since going to the Platinum cable.

Happy New Year / Sylvester to all.

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #3,993 of 7,068
  Actually there are plenty of Thunderbolt audio interfaces - in the pro audio world.  No reason why they couldn't be used for hi fi.

I do -- see my signature.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #3,994 of 7,068
Absolutely not. Optical actually sounds better than usb. Just check if the adapticlock light in the front is blinking. If not you are good to go

Just got everything set up.. Took several hours and trips to best buy but wow...

Mjolnir 2 + Gumby sounds amazing.. I was really handicapping myself with the Momby.

Ugh wow I haven't stopped smiling since I put on the HD 650. The soundstage sounds bigger on the Gumby than my Momby and more engaging too. Love it. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #3,995 of 7,068
Just got everything set up.. Took several hours and trips to best buy but wow...

Mjolnir 2 + Gumby sounds amazing.. I was really handicapping myself with the Momby.

Ugh wow I haven't stopped smiling since I put on the HD 650. The soundstage sounds bigger on the Gumby than my Momby and more engaging too. Love it. 

I've been enjoying this set up for almost a year now with both my 650 and 800S and it is very, very good. Congratulations!

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #3,996 of 7,068

I was shocked when I got around to doing the same DAC comparison in my speaker system. I enjoyed the Momby on headphones. It far surpassed regular Modi, and (to my ears) edged into the space between m9xx and Mojo. But at a price so much lower, it truly rocked the value of DACs forever!

But once I listened in my more resolving speaker system, the difference was obvious. Same as what you heard, the soundstage of the Gumby was much bigger. I've not heard the Mjolnir 2, but the more I read about it, the more impressed I am with reviews of it. I'll certainly need to consider, if they ever accidentally make it in black...

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #3,999 of 7,068
  Anybody else using a Mac Mini as a source to the Gumby?  How are you connecting the two? USB, optical, USB to SPDIF converter?  What cables are you using as well?

Cheers,
Nasiem

What year of Mac Mini do you have?

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #4,001 of 7,068

Mid 2010/early 2011.

Well, the 2011 or later Mac Mini has only 20 ps jitter on the optical out, which is good enough to make it the preferred choice.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #4,003 of 7,068
Cool! I'll give the mini optical connection a try and see how it compares to USB with the audioquest jitterbug.

Both should be well below audible.  If there is an audible difference, it's not from jitter. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #4,004 of 7,068
Recently bought a Jot and loving it so far. Thinking of getting a gumby or bimby. Will be using hd650s or 400i's. Basically looking for some convincing opinions to help me decide.

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #4,005 of 7,068
Recently bought a Jot and loving it so far. Thinking of getting a gumby or bimby. Will be using hd650s or 400i's. Basically looking for some convincing opinions to help me decide.

Keep the jot with the internal DAC and get Chord Mojo so you can have portable bliss too. If you only listen at home, definitely gumby since jot has balanced topology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back