Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 31, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #3,466 of 7,213
  Question,
Could you elaborate just a little on the differences you heard, when going from the irDAC to the SA8005?

I'm trying to keep this on topic and relevant to the Gumby discussion. To provide a little personal background, when I went to Gumby, it was probably a two-step upgrade. I was going from a smaller soundstage, less dynamic, less detailed sound to the Gungnir - and I was upgrading to the Multibit. I actually backtracked a little to the irDAC (purchased to listen to after the Gumby) to ensure that what I was hearing was both the DAC upgrade and the Multibit upgrade. And the irDAC still sounded quite good to my ears. In fact, when I had another listener over, she at first thought it was better than the Gumby (likely a dB or so higher volume through the single-ended output). We had to flip back and forth a couple of times until the Gumby was an obvious improvement. The Gumby does things that to the listener, having not heard one of the Multibits, might not be sure what to listen for. We are so adjusted to a harsh, unnatural sound, that we often block out that glare, in our minds, and it takes a while to open up our mind and ears to the more natural sound.

Anyways, I found the Gumby and irDAC to be similarly good at soundstage and detail retrieval, but then the Multibit gave the Gumby that extra something that made it more real, less cerebral.

So my question, what is it that you are hearing the SA8005 that you are not hearing in the irDAC? In my personal experience, I found the Gumby to be more like an irDAC than not, but with the added realism of the Multibit.

Thanks for the comments sheldaze.  I'm not good at describing in words how things differ in sound, but I'll give it a try.

(A quick disclaimer:  I'm not a headphones guy.  I'm speakers only.  I read Head-Fi because there is such good digital audio talk here.  Other, non-headphone HiFi sites talk too much about turntables and such.)

The Marantz impressed me because, on my system, I heard:
  1. Wider and deeper sound-stage
  2. Fuller sound, yet still airy and almost ethereal.  The SA8005 sounds more alive to me.  And again, that doesn't mean the irDAC sounds flat or dead.  On my system the SA8005 just takes it up to the next level.
  3. Cymbals sound magical to me on the Marantz.  There is something about the cymbals that, to my ears, sounds "golden", and it is intoxicating to me.

It was really hard for me to get to the point of looking for a new DAC because the irDAC still sounds so good to me, and once I did decide to really start looking for something it's been hard to decide what to get, hence flip-flopping between the Yggy and the Gumby.  In the process I've gravitated toward the Shiit multibit gear because people tend to use words like "magical" when they describe the sound they hear from it, and that is how I the SA8005 sounds on my system and something I want to try and replicate.

Your comments, though, do highlight some concerns I've wrestled with.  Sometimes I wonder if the Gumby going to be a big enough step up from the irDAC.  I feel the irDAC is very good, but based on what I've read, I get the feeling the Gumby is worth the upgrade.  I'll find out soon enough.

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #3,467 of 7,213

1. Cymbals sound magical to me on the Marantz.  There is something about the cymbals that, to my ears, sounds "golden", and it is intoxicating to me.

I just have a Bifrost Multibit (+ Asgard 2 + MrSpeakers Alpha Primes) and cymbals are one of the delights of that DAC compared with the pre-multibit Bifrost or the (otherwise very good DAC in my speaker system (built into the Bel Canto C7R integrated amp). I listen to a lot of live jazz from front-row seats and I'm especially attentive to the work of such drum luminaries as Brian Blade or Eric Harland. That spacious, shimmering sound that they create with their cymbal strokes is exactly what I hear in their best recordings through the Bifrost Multibit. It just floats there in the air, fading and spreading between the drummer and me.

Mar 31, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #3,468 of 7,213
  I just have a Bifrost Multibit (+ Asgard 2 + MrSpeakers Alpha Primes) and cymbals are one of the delights of that DAC compared with the pre-multibit Bifrost or the (otherwise very good DAC in my speaker system (built into the Bel Canto C7R integrated amp). I listen to a lot of live jazz from front-row seats and I'm especially attentive to the work of such drum luminaries as Brian Blade or Eric Harland. That spacious, shimmering sound that they create with their cymbal strokes is exactly what I hear in their best recordings through the Bifrost Multibit. It just floats there in the air, fading and spreading between the drummer and me.

Thanks for this feedback.  I listen to a lot of jazz too (mostly studio recordings).  This is exactly what I'm hoping to get out of the Gumby.  Sounds like I'm on the right track.

Mar 31, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #3,469 of 7,213

Thanks for this feedback.  I listen to a lot of jazz too (mostly studio recordings).  This is exactly what I'm hoping to get out of the Gumby.  Sounds like I'm on the right track.

You should be pleased with the way Gumby sets the stage for your listening pleasure (I am loving her more each listen). The only advice I would give is make sure your source material is of high quality and get ready to find out that not all recordings are created equal. Gumby is so resolving that no poorly recorded material can hide from her​

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #3,471 of 7,213
  What do ya'll think Schiit will offer as an upgrade to the Gungnir or MB version next year, or in the future? Or even a Gungnir 2? 

-That's the first time I've ever used the word ya'll. Ever. lol fun facts. 

I would like to see an upgraded USB board for Gumby, and unless magnetic north flips its axis I don't foresee any DSD support

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #3,472 of 7,213
  What do ya'll think Schiit will offer as an upgrade to the Gungnir or MB version next year, or in the future? Or even a Gungnir 2? 

-That's the first time I've ever used the word ya'll. Ever. lol fun facts. 

I wish the Gumby would get a phase selector switch, like its big brother.  Although it would probably drive me mad flipping back and forth trying to figure out what sounded better, so maybe not.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #3,473 of 7,213
My personal DAC progression was:  Uber Bifrost - Gungnir - Gumby.  Every step was an improvement in SQ, especially the upgrade to the MB technology, which is just amazing.  I am sure the BMB is an upgrade over the SQ of the DS Bifrost, but I have not personally heard the BMB.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #3,474 of 7,213

I would like to see an upgraded USB board for Gumby, and unless magnetic north flips its axis I don't foresee any DSD support

For sure. USB with dedicated power, right? - Because I think most DACs pull power from the USB source such as your computer, which introduces noise. Edit: "most USB interfaces within DACs"****** pull power from source like pooter. 
  I wish the Gumby would get a phase selector switch, like its big brother.  Although it would probably drive me mad flipping back and forth trying to figure out what sounded better, so maybe not.

Story of the hobby in general haha. Tube rolling, headphone switching, dac/amp switching.... I need to create a universal setup which switches at the push of a button. (everything is connected to everything) hell even a mixer would work to an extent, but not as high level as I'd want. But I know what you mean! Fun stuff oh yes. 
  My personal DAC progression was:  Uber Bifrost - Gungnir - Gumby.  Every step was an improvement in SQ, especially the upgrade to the MB technology, which is just amazing.  I am sure the BMB is an upgrade over the SQ of the DS Bifrost, but I have not personally heard the BMB.

Awesome! I agree going from O2 - Modi2U - Bimby. VERY similar in resolution between them, but the multibit sets audio out there in a more realistic manner. I can only really tell if listening for more than a few minutes. Switching back and forth is difficult to tell, it's almost like you have to let it sink in as you listen. Difficult to explain! 

Curious.... TN - In what time span did you go from bifrost to gumby? I have the opportunity to sell a few things (bimby/lyr2) and put that towards a Gumby/Mjolnir2, but I don't want to rush to the top too quickly and be left with less and less "upgrades". Hell, then I could sit back and just enjoy my music instead of analyzing the **** out of everything all the time - knowing that there's not much more to it than this... ha! (yep definitely upgradeasaurus)

Although, I do enjoy my audio very much. The Bimby/Lyr2 is absolutely wonderful - very resolving and smooth. Tube rolling does wonders as well. Quick brain dump over! 

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #3,477 of 7,213
Never had the "flashing" input issue with my Bimby, but I feed it with a clean USB signal using iFi iUSB 3.0. Can't wait for Yggy revision 2.0 or some upgrades so that I'll be able to cure my upgraditis.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #3,479 of 7,213
  Never had the "flashing" input issue with my Bimby, but I feed it with a clean USB signal using iFi iUSB 3.0. Can't wait for Yggy revision 2.0 or some upgrades so that I'll be able to cure my upgraditis.

Agreed. Although my Bimby does cycle the led's through for 30 seconds or so before becoming available, I don't think that's what you guys are referring to though. 

How do you like the iFi iUSB? I went with the Wyrd usb interface due to price, but kind of itching for the next best as always haha. Do you have any other USB power/filter hubs to compare to?

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,480 of 7,213
  How do you like the iFi iUSB? I went with the Wyrd usb interface due to price, but kind of itching for the next best as always haha. Do you have any other USB power/filter hubs to compare to?

I've compared the Wyrd to the iFi directly.  The Wyrd remains in my system and the iFi was sold on Ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back