Schiit Gungnir DAC
Dec 18, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #3,076 of 7,216
  It isn't a truth, it's your impression and view, much like you've pointed out about others having their own views 
wink_face.gif

Also, FWIW, I much prefer the HD-650's vs the HE-400's, and find the HD-700's intolerable. So I appreciate your impressions, but we seem to favour different presentations. The only DAC I'd personally consider vs MB Gungnir would be Yggdrasil. If you're talking Meridian vs Gungnir, I'd personally just recommend MB Gungnir over both.

I did the Meridian versus Gungnir experiment a while back - only it was Meridian Director versus Gungnir Multibit. This was the only time I have ever heard a DAC that 100% outclassed my previous DAC - that is the Gungnir Multibit did everything better than the Meridian Director. Up to that point, I had been making sacrifices. I had been keeping a Bifrost Uber connected to my headphones and Meridian Director connected to my speakers.

I eventually upgraded my Bifrost Uber to Bifrost Multibit, and it too was outclassed by everything the Gungnir Multibit did. In summary, Gungnir Multibit, per my DAC upgrade history, replaced three DACs:

1. Arcam irDAC (which I have read it similar to Gungnir Delta-Sigma)
  2. Meridian Director
  3. Schiit Bifrost Multibit

And those are the only three DACs, which I no longer have, and I miss. But each, in a way, was a subset or a compromise of the qualities of the Gungnir Multibit.

::

Just wanted to say, I could see how someone would like certain attributes of a Meridian DAC over certain attributes of a Delta-Sigma Schiit DAC. I hope this helps, and doesn't add any fuel.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #3,077 of 7,216
  I did the Meridian versus Gungnir experiment a while back - only it was Meridian Director versus Gungnir Multibit. This was the only time I have ever heard a DAC that 100% outclassed my previous DAC - that is the Gungnir Multibit did everything better than the Meridian Director. Up to that point, I had been making sacrifices. I had been keeping a Bifrost Uber connected to my headphones and Meridian Director connected to my speakers.

I eventually upgraded my Bifrost Uber to Bifrost Multibit, and it too was outclassed by everything the Gungnir Multibit did. In summary, Gungnir Multibit, per my DAC upgrade history, replaced three DACs:

1. Arcam irDAC (which I have read it similar to Gungnir Delta-Sigma)
  2. Meridian Director
  3. Schiit Bifrost Multibit

And those are the only three DACs, which I no longer have, and I miss. But each, in a way, was a subset or a compromise of the qualities of the Gungnir Multibit.

::

Just wanted to say, I could see how someone would like certain attributes of a Meridian DAC over certain attributes of a Delta-Sigma Schiit DAC. I hope this helps, and doesn't add any fuel.

I'd say +1 for the irDAC info here. Can echo the same feedback. GMB was much better. Unfortunately for my wallet I heard a Yggy though LOL. It really is that much better than GMB imo, although GMB in the price range is probably one of the tops. Only thing in the price range I heard I liked more than GMB was the Metrum Acoustics Musette. Which is why I have that arriving Monday :).

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3,078 of 7,216
My presentiment was right!

Today I heard my Gumby with a high-class USB-SPDIF converter - the Stello U3. The Stello (with an outboard powersource) was far surperior to the "onboard" USB gen 2 of the Gumby. The increment in sound quality surpasses that of upgrading from DS to multibit. You just have to hear it to believe it!

The rest of the system (belonging to a friend of mine) was Belles 350a reference poweramp (man! that is a killer-amp), Linn preamp, homebuild floorspeakers (he has done so for 10+ years). Source was a laptop feeding the Gumby through the Stello U3.

The only time he has heard anything this good, was when he had a $ 6.000 MSB DSD dac on loan. Oh yes he was sad to let me - ehm - my Gumby go.

I had also brought the tda 1543 NOS DAC along. But it did not benefit much from the Stello and was left far behind.....but (as was my previous experience) in fact not that far behind the USB gen 2 - the loss in detail aside.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #3,079 of 7,216
  The rest of the system (belonging to a friend of mine) was Belles 350a reference poweramp (man! that is a killer-amp), 

I have a Belles HotRod (FS) and Belles is some nice stuff!

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #3,080 of 7,216

Today I heard my Gumby with a high-class USB-SPDIF converter - the Stello U3. The Stello (with an outboard powersource) was far surperior to the "onboard" USB gen 2 of the Gumby. The increment in sound quality surpasses that of upgrading from DS to multibit. You just have to hear it to believe it!

I use a usb to spdif converter as well; a Bryston Buc-1.  I'm very pleased with it though I must confess that I bought the Bryston before I bought the Gumby.  They work extremely well together. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #3,081 of 7,216
So what would be the best option for someone who can output using SE only RCA to a NAIM SuperNait2?

Option 1: BMB ($600) fed by a Audiophilleo 1 MkII SE ($600) = $1200
Option 2: Chord 2Qute = $1800
Option 3: GMB ($1250) fed by a Audiophilleo 1 MkII SE ($600) = $1850
Option 4: Yiggy = $2100

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #3,082 of 7,216
  So what would be the best option for someone who can output using SE only RCA to a NAIM SuperNait2?

I assume you're not using this for your headphones 
wink_face.gif

What kind of speakers do you have or plan to use? When I mentioned I could easily hear the differences between the Schiit DACs (Bifrost Multibit, Gungnir Multibit, and Yggdrasil) it was feeding into B&W Nautilus speakers, which are pretty high end and quite demanding of a good source. I found the difference to be less discernible via headphones.

EDIT: You could also host a headphone party! We've got three of your 4 options covered 
L3000.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #3,084 of 7,216
New Sound Syndrome(TM)  NSS, we all experience it. Glad to see that you are diligent in your listening to determine if NSS was a contributing factor to your impressions. On live recordings there are stage sounds with people moving about, usually not audible clearly with other DACs. Even the Bifrost MB presents these clearly enough to warrant headphone removal while looking about to see if anyone is nearby. Very spooky until one acclimates to the occurrence by backing up on the track an listening a second time.

The first time I listened to The Beatles' "Revolution 9" with my first (and only) setup - Modi 2, Vali, HD600 - it scared me like the best psychological horror films. Definitely hearing things for the first time and with striking detail. I kept looking over my shoulder. Spooky indeed. I am interested in GuMBy, but I'm afraid I might be frightened to death! BTW, does anyone else like this track for a detail test? They put a lot of surprises in there

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #3,085 of 7,216
Dynaudio Focus 260

When is the next meetup?

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #3,086 of 7,216
Dynaudio Focus 260

When is the next meetup?

Saturday, February 27

I'll have to read up on your speakers. I have heard only good things about the company. More specific though, I was trying to say it makes sense to match components in the same range. For me, Yggdrasil and Ragnarok were actually a step down in price (not that price is equal to quality, but generally so) from what I was using. And the "statement" setup (from the same company I was using, single-ended) ballooned to well over $7,000. After trying to go with Bifrost, based on my concerns for SE versus balanced (and already owning the Bifrost, so why not use it), I started to feel kinda stupid to play cheap - just get the statement products, and be done. So I did, and I'm happy.

I'm guessing your system is very HiFi - and it will be instantly obvious the difference going from a Bimby to a Gumby, and a Gumby to a Yggdrasil (single-ended or otherwise). My quick summary:

1. Bimby - very nice, small and intimate
  2. Gumby - dynamics, where things that can get bigger DO!
  3. Yggdrasil - music is not supposed to be able to sound the way it does through this DAC. It truly captures your attention, and sends the sound into your synapses in a way sound should not be able to do. If music could be considered a weapon, this would be the first salvo.

I still feel a little silly watching the Today show through a Yggdrasil, but it sounds really good when I get back to playing music 
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #3,087 of 7,216

Iggy. With your speaker set-up, and the level of the gear you are using, go right to the top of the pile. Then you can just sit back and enjoy the music.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #3,088 of 7,216
I just ordered a Gumby. I hope I did myself right. Hopefully it will be an improvement on my UnitiQute DAC and sound good with my Rogue Cronus.

Just couldn't justify IGGY.

I like drums to sound like drums and to find my toe tapping to the music.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #3,090 of 7,216
\Now it is clear to my that the NOS is easy on the ears ONLY because it ommits a lot of details. The Gumby serves up so many details that your brain (and the rest of your system) is challenged. 

Just out of curiosity: how often do you listen live to the music (genre, artist) that you used for those tests? I listen to a lot of live jazz and some classical, and I find the multibit detail and stage (even in the lower cost Bifrost MB) closer to the live experience than the "smoother," edges-filed-off renderings of, for example, the DAC in the Naim UnitiQute I used to own. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back