Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 16, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #2,926 of 7,072
Anyone tried Jitterbug, Wyrd and/or Uptone Regen with Gumby?

Read a report (somewhere on this site) that wyrd is no good with Yggy, whereas Regen gives an improvement. Given that Yggy and Gumby are similar "beasts"   - mayby thats true for the Gumby as well.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #2,927 of 7,072

Here is the jitterbug, to buy it with $39 or not, you call. 
jecklinsmile.gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #2,928 of 7,072
Damn, that Gungnir still remains out of stock in the EU. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #2,929 of 7,072

Read a report (somewhere on this site) that wyrd is no good with Yggy, whereas Regen gives an improvement. Given that Yggy and Gumby are similar "beasts"   - mayby thats true for the Gumby as well.

I tried Wyrd with Gumby - I did not find any advantage. However my USB source for that setup is fairly good. From my laptop, I have found many DAC and USB AMP to sound considerably better through the Wyrd.

I would also advise that Gumby and Yggy are considerably different, in that the Yggy has what Schiit is calling USB version 3 implementation. It is supposedly a significant upgrade over the USB version 2 that is in both the Gungnir and Bifrost. I have had all three DAC, and IMHO the USB implementation (no Wyrd) is fantastic in all three.

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #2,930 of 7,072

I use Regen with Gumby and it gives it a nice improvement.

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #2,931 of 7,072

i use a caps v3 topanga as a server feeding my gumby.  i found the jitterbug gave more clarity and better soundstage.  i think it's really a question of the noise in the server more than the dac as to whether you get a benefit.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #2,932 of 7,072
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on Gumby and wyrd/regen/jitterbug.

I would expect that Regen is better than jitterbug. But two jitterbugs are still a lot cheaper....

Think I'll wait until mr. Darko has testet all three :blush:

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #2,933 of 7,072
Has anyone ordered a Gungnir Multibit in the last week or two and received a shipping confirmation? The website says they will begin shipping  in early November again. It is past early November now...

The only reason I ask is because I was hoping to buy a B-stock to save a few $$ and they don't have any in stock. My thoughts were that after the new batch is ready, maybe there would be a blemished or returned unit that I could pick up as B-stock.

Thanks,

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #2,934 of 7,072
I had the chance to audition the BMB, GMB, and YGB about a week ago. The B and G were both SE. Otherwise similar source and setup all around. I found the differences between the B and G to be less discernable esp. given the price difference. But the YGB was a revelation to my ears. Loved it. So if your needs are just SE, either go for the best value DAC around arguably with the BMB or go big and go home with the Yiggy and never worry about a DAC purchase for a while.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #2,935 of 7,072
  Has anyone ordered a Gungnir Multibit in the last week or two and received a shipping confirmation? The website says they will begin shipping  in early November again. It is past early November now...

The only reason I ask is because I was hoping to buy a B-stock to save a few $$ and they don't have any in stock. My thoughts were that after the new batch is ready, maybe there would be a blemished or returned unit that I could pick up as B-stock.

Thanks,

I bought a MB about 10 days ago and it has *not* shipped yet.
"Early Nov" is out of date, but I decided not to bother them about it. I assume they are doing what they can. Probably really busy.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2,936 of 7,072

Thanks,

I bought a MB about 10 days ago and it has *not* shipped yet.
"Early Nov" is out of date, but I decided not to bother them about it. I assume they are doing what they can. Probably really busy.

Thanks cishida. I know they don't always keep those status notes perfectly up to date. Maybe they'll have a b-stock within the next month. Otherwise I'll probably just go for A-stock.

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #2,938 of 7,072

Thanks cishida. I know they don't always keep those status notes perfectly up to date. Maybe they'll have a b-stock within the next month. Otherwise I'll probably just go for A-stock.

Ordered Nov 7. Just got my shipment notice.

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #2,939 of 7,072
I can compare it to the 2qute,benchmark 2hgc , Yggy .

The Yggy is the only dac that's better .

The MB Gungnir is the best dac I've listened to under 2 k . The only ones that are close are near 2k .

The Dacs around the same price are destroyed by the Mb Gungnir .

I've spent the last 1 1/2 years testing Dacs to get the perfect sound . The Schiit Gungnir and Yggy were the best ,

I have listened to Parasound , Benchmark , Marantz , Peachtree , Nad , Audiolab, Arcam ,Ifi ,Chord .

Better than Marantz & Audiolab, very possible.
NAD & Chord? Harder to believe.
Parasound, Benchmark? Sure?

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #2,940 of 7,072

Better than Marantz & Audiolab, very possible.
NAD & Chord? Harder to believe.
Parasound, Benchmark? Sure?

Of course this is subjective but the top 3 imo would be 

1) Yggy - it is better than the 2qute which I have 
2) MB Gungnir or Chord 2 qute depending on preferences -imo MB Gungnir
slightly better. 
2qute is easily better than the Delta Sigma Gungnir. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back