Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 29, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #2,296 of 7,050
I have the Gungnir first gen with the Wyrd USB. I bought the kit in April. Consider at least a full 2 weeks to get the full potential. It seems to have a burning time or something like this with this DAC. You may hear the high frequencies getting better as the burning process goes on. At least it was my feeling. Could potentially come from my Asgard 2 being burned too.

I don't know if the Wyrd really improves anything. I don't have good enough headphones at the moment to really tell you if there is a difference. But it's always a nice add-in.
I already have a pair of closed HP (my Momentum). Sure my mechanical keyboard makes a lot of noise when programming, but in many review I read open headphones are simply better on multiple aspect. I'm willing to try an open design.

I don't know if it's me, but my GMB seemed to work it's way down from top to bottom clarity wise. The first thing I noticed was the treble, then the mids started to gain detail, now on day 4 it's the low end. Could be the jump I made from my previous DAC...

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #2,297 of 7,050
No it is not. But would it matter? My DAC will feed my NAIM SuperNait2 IS via a RCA-DIN interconnect. 

Probably not, if you're not running a balanced amp and don't have plans to.

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,299 of 7,050
Gumby has arrived. First impressions... It's very quiet, fits nicely on the Zana Deux...

Lol..I just ordered one for myself too. The rubber Gumby that is.

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #2,300 of 7,050

Lol..I just ordered one for myself too. The rubber Gumby that is.

I guess that's a 'buy' if you want to have a Gumby on top of your Mjolnir 2. That's the only way it's gonna work. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #2,301 of 7,050

I guess that's a 'buy' if you want to have a Gumby on top of your Mjolnir 2. That's the only way it's gonna work. 
biggrin.gif

I think I'll have him escaping up the headphone cable chased by Lego's and GI Joe's (80's version).
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2,302 of 7,050
Hey everybody!

Approximately 280 hours of burn-in on the multibit Gungnir.

Well,  worked over 13 hours today, got home and have been listening to my Gungnir-based 5-way active system for the last 4 hours. M..U..S...T       G...E......T       R...E....S......T...........  :)

So far, only ONE of my 5 Gungnirs is multibit, the one I use for the tweeters. I sent two more Gungnirs in to get upgraded yesterday as my queue came up!!!!
The bass frequencies from 100Hz to 40Hz, and 40 Hz to 20Hz  are being handled in the interim by the Behringer DCX2496.....I know I know....., not exactly high-end but they fill the bill for now. Balanced out of course.

My impressions of the Gungnir multibit are based on using it ONLY on the tweeters!! I cannot wait to hear the multibit detail, soundstage, focus, inner detail, holographic, fluid, 3-dimensional, finesse and nuance that this will bring to the frequencies between 100Hz to 544Hz, and from 544Hz to 900Hz. WOW!

I will let you all know my impressions of each of those ranges through the Gungir multibit as things burnin-in!

-Cheers!
-TRQ

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #2,304 of 7,050
  my Gungnir-based 5-way active system ....

So far, only ONE of my 5 Gungnirs is multibit, the one I use for the tweeters. I sent two more Gungnirs in to get upgraded yesterday as my queue came up!!!!
The bass frequencies from 100Hz to 40Hz, and 40 Hz to 20Hz  are being handled in the interim by the Behringer DCX2496.....I know I know....., not exactly high-end but they fill the bill for now. Balanced out of course.

My impressions of the Gungnir multibit are based on using it ONLY on the tweeters!! I cannot wait to hear the multibit detail, soundstage, focus, inner detail, holographic, fluid, 3-dimensional, finesse and nuance that this will bring to the frequencies between 100Hz to 544Hz, and from 544Hz to 900Hz. WOW!

I will let you all know my impressions of each of those ranges through the Gungir multibit as things burnin-in!

Want to know more....Please!  

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #2,305 of 7,050
In regards to the Gungnir multibit, I have simply been so enamored with the music that I thought I'd share a little and perhaps quantify on a more global scale what I am hearing, and how what I am hearing is affecting me.

Having a tendency toward being a perfectionist, and my love for high-end audio reproduction in the home, I was always fascinated by two speakers that "disappeared" sonically, and projected a soundstage with performers on it. We can go into all the buzzwords: soundstaging, imaging, focus, depth, layering, liquidity, smoothness, air, decay, transients, micro dynamics, macro dynamics.......on and on.

When Mike Moffat said, "The result is a D/A converter that images like nothing I have ever digitally heard. The promise is that with better recordings (Cowboy Junkies, for example) you hear the entire environment. If you check it against photos of the original session (often available as part of the LP/CD documentation or online), you may be shocked."  You can find that quote here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff/1800#post_11023066

That is exactly my impressions of the Gungnir multibit, over a 2-channel audio system."  FINALLY, I can relax and enjoy the soundstage, imaging, focus, detail, resolution, etc. etc.  I am no longer straining to adjust speaker positioning or psyching out about a different amplifier because "maybe I can get more stable imaging." I can finally rest and chill out and enjoy the music BECAUSE the imaging is SOOOOO stable, and the focus is AMAZING! The soundstage is HUGE!!!! All I know is, now my system images GREAT and sounds AMAZING  at 1PM in the afternoon, or at 1 or 2AM.  BEFORE Gungnir multibit, listening in the afternoon didn't sound as good because the power grid is more in demand and dirtier. With multibit and the ability to resolve inner detail and imaging and soundstaging, the speakers disappear at 1PM just as good as they do at 2am ( well maybe a little bit better at 2AM.) Those of you who have stayed up late at night listening to your 2 channel systems know what I'm talking about. The power grid is much cleaner in the wee hours of the night/morning than in the middle of the day, therefore our gear sounds better too as a result.

There is just a whole new dimension to the cohesiveness of the music that really is enjoyable.

Cheers!
-TRQ

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,306 of 7,050
Right now I think the MB Gungnir is one of the best dacs under 2k period . And that's after 5 hours of use .

I would certainly tell anyone to pay the extra 400 bucks for the MB Gungnir over the delta sigma version.

If this is what Multibit sounds like I'm all in and will likely buy
a Yggy next year .

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #2,307 of 7,050
  All I know is, now my system images GREAT and sounds AMAZING  at 1PM in the afternoon, or at 1 or 2AM.  BEFORE Gungnir multibit, listening in the afternoon didn't sound as good because the power grid is more in demand and dirtier. With multibit and the ability to resolve inner detail and imaging and soundstaging, the speakers disappear at 1PM just as good as they do at 2am ( well maybe a little bit better at 2AM.) Those of you who have stayed up late at night listening to your 2 channel systems know what I'm talking about. The power grid is much cleaner in the wee hours of the night/morning than in the middle of the day, therefore our gear sounds better too as a result.

There is just a whole new dimension to the cohesiveness of the music that really is enjoyable.

Cheers!
-TRQ

If you are noticing sonic differences at different times of day, it is time to consider proper power conditioning.

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #2,309 of 7,050
It could also just be your imagination.  

Ducks. 
blink.gif

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2,310 of 7,050
Let me just say I and my species take issue with the suggestion we are imaginary :p

It could also just be your imagination.  

Ducks. :blink:  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back