Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 28, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #2,281 of 7,161
I would try to audition a set of he-560's, and a set of Audeze LCD-2, and choose whatever can pleased you more.

It might be worth listening to a pair of Grado PS500e. My best cans are Sennheiser HD800 with a Cardas Clear cable, but I often use the Grados, which are easier to drive, with pleasure (although mine are the the earlier PS500). If you can audition them, you might find them to your taste... Good luck!

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #2,282 of 7,161
I'm running a Gungnir to Valhalla2 into LCD-2. Extremely smooth sounding with no touch of that "digital sound" but the amp could use some more umph. I just ordered a Lyr2 yesterday, so that should be solved. But the Gungnir is sweet with the Lcd-2's.

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #2,283 of 7,161
I really like my LCD-2's, but I'm probably going to sell them in the future as I've grown tired of the fact they feel like a medieval torture device after a couple of hours. Just a heads up since you are going to use them while working.

Try the "planar pad" that someone here sells in the cables classifieds area. It makes the audeze a lot more comfortable.

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #2,285 of 7,161
In best of worlds, yes, this would be the ideal thing to do, but in Montreal you can't find a Hifiman dealer, while there is one Audeze. And ordering both and return one is not really an option.

+1. I know how you feel, its hard to audition most headphones, where I live. I might have to start using the Cable Company's headphone loan program.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,286 of 7,161
I have virtually no place to audition anything here in Missouri and everything I have purchased has been either researched through this site and the helpful members or several other places.  Money really isn't an issue but I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that won't suit me. 

Received my Gungnir Multibit last night and fired it up.  I only got to listen to it for an hour or so before bed and left it on all night so I'll listen more this evening.  I ran it SE last night just because it was late and didn't want to go look for my balanced cables and hook everything up.  I know most here probably don't have the same music taste as I and even mine varies but I popped in "Mike Garrigan - Live at the Evening Muse" and it was amazing.  For me, this is one of the best recorded live cd's I have.  I'm not real good with explaining everything like most here but I know what I like and this is winner.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #2,287 of 7,161
  I have virtually no place to audition anything here in Missouri and everything I have purchased has been either researched through this site and the helpful members or several other places.  Money really isn't an issue but I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that won't suit me. 

Received my Gungnir Multibit last night and fired it up.  I only got to listen to it for an hour or so before bed and left it on all night so I'll listen more this evening.  I ran it SE last night just because it was late and didn't want to go look for my balanced cables and hook everything up.  I know most here probably don't have the same music taste as I and even mine varies but I popped in "Mike Garrigan - Live at the Evening Muse" and it was amazing.  For me, this is one of the best recorded live cd's I have.  I'm not real good with explaining everything like most here but I know what I like and this is winner.

If you thought it sounded good with no warm-up and SE, you're going to be blown away later...

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #2,288 of 7,161
Mr Speaker Alpha are not impressing me. I read on it and it's sure good headphones but they are closed back and lack in high frequencies. I like the "tishhh" in cymbals, you know... Hard to say since english is not my first language, but I like de detail in higher frequencies.

So, which headphones is the best mix with Gungnir and Asgard 2?

Listening to Charles Lloyd's "Mirror" lossless > Bifrost Uber > Asgard 2 > Alpha Primes. Obviously, if your listening conditions allow you to use open back headphones, you should, but if not, the Alpha Primes don't lack in high frequencies for me (but then at my age, I'm probably at -50dB @ 10kHz). Anyway, I'm getting plenty of "tishhh" from Eric Harland's cymbals.

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #2,289 of 7,161
from my personal experience, the Primes are not a bad pair of headphones especially considering the relative lack of competent closed neutral-orientated flagship options out there.

However, I think nowadays there are quite a lot of open mid-tier headphones that really get you relatively close to the flagship performance. Many of the open options out there will be more revealing of that airy upper treble extension and subtle micro-detail. I would recommend getting an open pair of headphones if your listening situation allows for it :)

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #2,290 of 7,161
Some very positive initial comments about the MB vs. the Chord 2Qute over at ComputerAudiophile... 

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #2,291 of 7,161
Is anyone using a Wyrd with the MB at the moment?

For me this is the debate of the moment.

Schiit Gungnir MB + Schiit Wyrd + 2x PYST USB cables + S&H = $1420 USD

vs.

Chord 2Qute + Chord Silver Plus USB + S&H = $1895 USD

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,292 of 7,161

vs.

Is the Chord balanced? I wouldn't even consider running single ended myself, after going balanced, I cannot go back, it's that good. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #2,293 of 7,161
No it is not. But would it matter? My DAC will feed my NAIM SuperNait2 IS via a RCA-DIN interconnect. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #2,294 of 7,161

vs.

Yup, Wyrd ---> Gumby by way of the PYST USB cables. I tried the Wyrd with my TEAC-UD301 DAC, while the GMB was warming up, and it had a noticebale improvement in sound (tighter, detailed). My 5 year old laptop was the source, so the USB ports are well worn. Maybe with a newer computer the difference would be smaller, or none at all.

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #2,295 of 7,161
I have the Gungnir first gen with the Wyrd USB. I bought the kit in April. Consider at least a full 2 weeks to get the full potential. It seems to have a burning time or something like this with this DAC. You may hear the high frequencies getting better as the burning process goes on. At least it was my feeling. Could potentially come from my Asgard 2 being burned too.

I don't know if the Wyrd really improves anything. I don't have good enough headphones at the moment to really tell you if there is a difference. But it's always a nice add-in.

Listening to Charles Lloyd's "Mirror" lossless > Bifrost Uber > Asgard 2 > Alpha Primes. Obviously, if your listening conditions allow you to use open back headphones, you should, but if not, the Alpha Primes don't lack in high frequencies for me (but then at my age, I'm probably at -50dB @ 10kHz). Anyway, I'm getting plenty of "tishhh" from Eric Harland's cymbals.

I already have a pair of closed HP (my Momentum). Sure my mechanical keyboard makes a lot of noise when programming, but in many review I read open headphones are simply better on multiple aspect. I'm willing to try an open design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back