Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 27, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #2,266 of 7,072
 If you can go BNC, though, always do and you're less likely to have issues.

Even if he's still using RCA on the other end of the cable? I would have to disagree that it will actually do anything, other than secure the BNC end a bit better.

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #2,269 of 7,072
  Well, one set of reflections is better than two.  So, yeah.  That's half the distortion from impedance mismatches.

Not to go off topic in this thread but in that case you'd have worse impedance mismatches by having different connectors on either end of the cable. Isn't it better to have the same impedence on each end of the cable for a sync signal?

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #2,270 of 7,072

Not to go off topic in this thread but in that case you'd have worse impedance mismatches by having different connectors on either end of the cable. Isn't it better to have the same impedence on each end of the cable for a sync signal?

The BNC connector maintains the 75ohm impedance of the cable.  RCA connectors, by design, don't.  Some can get close.  The less impedance variation the better.  The more BNC the merrier.  As much can be 75 as possible.

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #2,272 of 7,072
Regarding burn-in/break-in, it would seem to me a few over night power downs would be good to help exersize all the circuitry in terms of cooling down and getting back up to temp. when the DAC is new. Am I wrong?

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #2,273 of 7,072
  Regarding burn-in/break-in, it would seem to me a few over night power downs would be good to help exersize all the circuitry in terms of cooling down and getting back up to temp. when the DAC is new. Am I wrong?

LOL, I think it's easier taking care of a polar bear cub in Hawaii than using GMB!

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #2,274 of 7,072
I rehooked up my Ragnarock to my Yggdrasil and was struck dumb by the dqc of god. I listened to Rebecca Page's "Spanish Harlem" and. The level of detail revealed by the yggy/ rag combo never fails to impress me Her voice, the instruments and the holographic soundstage are simply magical. Next I listened to Kate Bush Babuskka and that track never sounded so nice Kate Bush is a song bird, her notes never sound fatiguing or overly bright, but just right to my ears. I truly like my Gumby but the yggy is top of its game.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,275 of 7,072
I rehooked up my Ragnarock to my Yggdrasil and was struck dumb by the dqc of god. I listened to Rebecca Page's "Spanish Harlem" and. The level of detail revealed by the yggy/ rag combo never fails to impress me Her voice, the instruments and the holographic soundstage are simply magical. Next I listened to Kate Bush Babuskka and that track never sounded so nice Kate Bush is a song bird, her notes never sound fatiguing or overly bright, but just right to my ears. I truly like my Gumby but the yggy is top of its game.

I love "Spanish Harlem" via my Gungnir Multibit too. The soundstage depth is WOW. I guess Yggy must be really superb based on your comment. Cheers 

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #2,276 of 7,072
Hi all.

I'm currently looking for a new pair of headphones. sennheiser momentum are just not enough to show all the potential of my Gungnir and Asgard 2.

I want planar magnetic headphone. I'm currently hesitating between the Audeze LCD-2 (because LCD-3 are too pricey) and HE-560.

Some say the Gungnir is on the warm side. I like details in sound and the "wow" effect when I've never heard something in the soundstage. I simply want the best headphone for 1000$ for my rig. But as I read reviews of the LCD-2, it seems to be on the warm side too. Would the kit be too warm ? I like treble but not in excess like the Beyer 990. I want to be able to listen for long period of time (programming session can last quite long with cafeine !).

Mr Speaker Alpha are not impressing me. I read on it and it's sure good headphones but they are closed back and lack in high frequencies. I like the "tishhh" in cymbals, you know... Hard to say since english is not my first language, but I like de detail in higher frequencies.

So, which headphones is the best mix with Gungnir and Asgard 2?

Thanks !

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #2,277 of 7,072
Hi all.

I'm currently looking for a new pair of headphones. sennheiser momentum are just not enough to show all the potential of my Gungnir and Asgard 2.

I want planar magnetic headphone. I'm currently hesitating between the Audeze LCD-2 (because LCD-3 are too pricey) and HE-560.

Some say the Gungnir is on the warm side. I like details in sound and the "wow" effect when I've never heard something in the soundstage. I simply want the best headphone for 1000$ for my rig. But as I read reviews of the LCD-2, it seems to be on the warm side too. Would the kit be too warm ? I like treble but not in excess like the Beyer 990. I want to be able to listen for long period of time (programming session can last quite long with cafeine !).

Mr Speaker Alpha are not impressing me. I read on it and it's sure good headphones but they are closed back and lack in high frequencies. I like the "tishhh" in cymbals, you know... Hard to say since english is not my first language, but I like de detail in higher frequencies.

Thanks !

I would try to audition a set of he-560's, and a set of Audeze LCD-2, and choose whatever can pleased you more.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #2,278 of 7,072

Rebecca Page = Rebecca Pidgeon?

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #2,279 of 7,072
Hi all.

Thanks !

I really like my LCD-2's, but I'm probably going to sell them in the future as I've grown tired of the fact they feel like a medieval torture device after a couple of hours. Just a heads up since you are going to use them while working.

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #2,280 of 7,072
I would try to audition a set of he-560's, and a set of Audeze LCD-2, and choose whatever can pleased you more.

In best of worlds, yes, this would be the ideal thing to do, but in Montreal you can't find a Hifiman dealer, while there is one Audeze. And ordering both and return one is not really an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back