Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 20, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #2,011 of 7,161
Does anyone know when Schiit Europe will have the MBG in stock?

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #2,012 of 7,161
  I don't think we will have to pay customs/import or GST charges, as this should fall under repair/warranty... Sent mine in today (#4 on the upgrade list), so I'll post whenever it comes back and let you/other Canucks know if I get charged extra.

Sorry guys, I also don't see the logic in selling a Gungnir and buying a new MB Gungnir. The price new is $849; why would anyone pay any more than $749 for a used one? They typically sell for around $700 used, with Uber. Maybe you'll save on shipping, if you can convince someone to pay $750 + shipping + paypal fees (or bank transfer the cash...). 

Used Gungnir's have always been in demand... I think people who upgraded to Yggy's put their Gungnir's for sale, so there has been more for sale recently. Also, they weren't for sale long because some people were aware the upgrade was coming... but I still wouldn't pay the same amount for a used one after Paypal fees and shipping when I could buy new and pay the tax.

Nope nope nope. The supply of gungnirs have not gone up since the Yggy. Not at all. I've been looking for it ever since the yggdrasil was released. There was one like two or three weeks ago, US voltage, sold in less than one day I believe. People would pay a lot for a used one atm. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #2,013 of 7,161
Alright, I won't argue with you. I bought mine in August used here, there were also at least four others that sold this month, two of which were Yggy owners. Eight others that sold since May used, four of which were Yggy owners. Good luck selling yours and saving money on the upgrade.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #2,014 of 7,161
Alright, I won't argue with you. I bought mine in August used here, there were also at least four others that sold this month, two of which were Yggy owners. Eight others that sold since May used, four of which were Yggy owners. Good luck selling yours and saving money on the upgrade.

Us voltage in that case. I have not seen a single 230v except for This: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748505/uk-schiit-gungnir

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #2,016 of 7,161
I don't see an updated user's manual for the GMB. I assume we should leave it on 24x7 like Yggy?

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #2,018 of 7,161
Initial impressions of my GMB:  warm, smooth, and detailed.  A perfect match for my KGSSHV/Stax SR-009 
biggrin.gif
  Also, sounds good even without warm up!

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #2,019 of 7,161
  Initial impressions of my GMB:  warm, smooth, and detailed.  A perfect match for my KGSSHV/Stax SR-009 
biggrin.gif
  Also, sounds good even without warm up!

Wow, I disagree completely (EDIT - about the warm-up).  I thought it sounded thin and bright without warm-up and the sound improved noticeably after the recommended warm-up time.  Even 4-5 hours in, it still wasn't as good sounding as it is now that it's been on for over a day.

Initial impressions are an impressively low noise floor and more upper treble/air than any of my Burr Brown R2R DACs (Audio-GD DAC-19, Theta Basic II, Adcom GDA-600).  I'll be doing more A/B in the coming days.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #2,020 of 7,161

Initial impressions are an impressively low noise floor and more upper treble/air than any of my Burr Brown R2R DACs (Audio-GD DAC-19, Theta Basic II, Adcom GDA-600).  I'll be doing more A/B in the coming days.

Since I have a rather extreme sensitivity to the 9khz region, would you say its smooth enough to be alright? I find that any Delta Sigma DAC sounds very sibilant and etched in the upper treble, basically takes a case of beer to sound enjoyable.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #2,021 of 7,161

Since I have a rather extreme sensitivity to the 9khz region, would you say its smooth enough to be alright? I find that any Delta Sigma DAC sounds very sibilant and etched in the upper treble, basically takes a case of beer to sound enjoyable.

I'll be honest, I don't have the ability to call out the frequency response by ear.  Can you suggest a song that's got a noticeable peak in that area and I can listen to see?

FWIW, I have some treble sensitivity too.  Wherever the spike is on the HD700, I can't deal with it.  Also...******* cicadas.  The GMB doesn't bother me at all.  It's not bright on an absolute level.  The others can feel almost rolled off when you're used to D-S DAC's.  This manages to have the smooth treble of R2R without rolling it off.  It's a nice trick and one of its most immediately noticeable features compared to the old BB chips.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #2,024 of 7,161

Wow, I disagree completely.  I thought it sounded thin and bright without warm-up and the sound improved noticeably after the recommended warm-up time.  Even 4-5 hours in, it still wasn't as good sounding as it is now that it's been on for over a day.

Just remember that his impressions are based on whatever his previous DAC was.  If it was a Sabre DAC then, compared to that, the GMB might be warmer and smoother already, with the best yet to come.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #2,025 of 7,161
  Just remember that his impressions are based on whatever his previous DAC was.  If it was a Sabre DAC then, compared to that, the GMB might be warmer and smoother already, with the best yet to come.

Yep, sorry, I meant specifically about the warm-up.  I can see how that was unclear now.  I edited, thanks!

And yeah, I don't find it particularly warm, but that's because I'm coming from the BB DAC's.  I think it's pretty neutral overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back