Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 18, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #1,983 of 7,161
  And then sell the stock gungnir and now you have the money for the multibit gungnir.  Just sayin...
redface.gif

Holy balls, you are probably right. It would get CHEAPER as the demand for gungnirs is huge atm. 100 usd extra for getting it as an upgrade instead of buying new + a huge increase in shipping cost. You could easily sell a used gungnir and buy a new one for less. Mind blown.

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,984 of 7,161
  Holy balls, you are probably right. It would get CHEAPER as the demand for gungnirs is huge atm. 100 usd extra for getting it as an upgrade instead of buying new + a huge increase in shipping cost. You could easily sell a used gungnir and buy a new one for less. Mind blown.

Not to forget the now renewed warranty on the new GMB. The upgrade seems pretty pointless at the moment price wise..

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,985 of 7,161

Not to forget the now renewed warranty on the new GMB. The upgrade seems pretty pointless at the moment price wise..

I wish I had thought of this before ordering the upgrade. I could've had the GMB and Mjolnir 2 shipped and in hand on the same day and not been without my system while shipping it away to be upgraded, which will likely take longer and will cost more in the end (warranty aside).

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,986 of 7,161
Yeah but the economics will work themselves out... used prices on Gungnirs will drop now because people will realize that buying used to upgrade doesn't make sense at current market prices.  So I mean... while your plan might be good right NOW, it won't in a couple weeks once the market adjusts.

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,987 of 7,161
  Yeah but the economics will work themselves out... used prices on Gungnirs will drop now because people will realize that buying used to upgrade doesn't make sense at current market prices.  So I mean... while your plan might be good right NOW, it won't in a couple weeks once the market adjusts.

Or not. The Gungnirs are in demand without the upgrades as well. I doubt the prices on used gungnirs will fall by $200 or more considering a used one can be had for $650-$700 or so. At $450, a gungnir is hard to beat. If the upgrade costs $700, it'll have to come to that price for it to be a reasonable buy (assuming everyone is considering upgrades), otherwise people can just pay $100 more and get a new one. I feel used ones would still  be bought by people who are not considering upgrades, at prices not much lower than now.

I'm very interested in impressions of the GMB vs the DAC-19. Considering a DAC-19 is much cheaper with a 10 year warranty, and how good it sounds, the GMB would have to beat it sound wise. I understand diminishing returns etc, but it's still a competitive price point for it not to have enough of an upgrade sound wise for people to consider it.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,988 of 7,161

Or not. The Gungnirs are in demand without the upgrades as well. I doubt the prices on used gungnirs will fall by $200 or more considering a used one can be had for $650-$700 or so. At $450, a gungnir is hard to beat. If the upgrade costs $700, it'll have to come to that price for it to be a reasonable buy (assuming everyone is considering upgrades), otherwise people can just pay $100 more and get a new one. I feel used ones would still  be bought by people who are not considering upgrades, at prices not much lower than now.

I'm very interested in impressions of the GMB vs the DAC-19. Considering a DAC-19 is much cheaper with a 10 year warranty, and how good it sounds, the GMB would have to beat it sound wise. I understand diminishing returns etc, but it's still a competitive price point for it not to have enough of an upgrade sound wise for people to consider it.

I doubt it'll fall that low, but I suspect it will drop in the long term.  Short term, people will be trying to save a buck but not doing the math so the prices may even go up.  Long term, they'll drop.  Maybe only a little, but I think equilibrium price will be lower for the GSB than it is today.

And yeah, I agree with your analysis in general.  The GMB is almost 50% more expensive than the DAC-19 so one would expect notably better sound.  As you said, with diminishing returns, it doesn't have to be amazing, but it should definitely be better at that price.  My impressions with unfamiliar amp and unfamiliar headphones didn't give me enough information to make any conclusions about that so we'll have to see in a few days...

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,989 of 7,161

I doubt it'll fall that low, but I suspect it will drop in the long term.  Short term, people will be trying to save a buck but not doing the math so the prices may even go up.  Long term, they'll drop.  Maybe only a little, but I think equilibrium price will be lower for the GSB than it is today.

And yeah, I agree with your analysis in general.  The GMB is almost 50% more expensive than the DAC-19 so one would expect notably better sound.  As you said, with diminishing returns, it doesn't have to be amazing, but it should definitely be better at that price.  My impressions with unfamiliar amp and unfamiliar headphones didn't give me enough information to make any conclusions about that so we'll have to see in a few days...

Dan - are you going to receive a review unit? GMB (Gunggy) is diverting my interest with Master 11 and Yggy. So your comparison with DAC-19 will be influential to my DAC buying decisions in future... ​

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #1,990 of 7,161

Dan - are you going to receive a review unit? GMB (Gunggy) is diverting my interest with Master 11 and Yggy. So your comparison with DAC-19 will be influential to my DAC buying decisions in future... ​

Nope, they were short on review units and I was impatient so I just bought one.  :-D  Fedex says it'll be here tomorrow.  And obviously, burn-in will be a factor.  But fear not, I'll be posting impressions and comparisons with all my gear.  I'll probably do a formal review too.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,991 of 7,161

Nope, they were short on review units and I was impatient so I just bought one.  :-D  Fedex says it'll be here tomorrow.  And obviously, burn-in will be a factor.  But fear not, I'll be posting impressions and comparisons with all my gear.  I'll probably do a formal review too.

Tomorrow? Wow! That was quick. 
eek.gif

I will start pressing refresh tomorrow night then. 
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #1,992 of 7,161
  Tomorrow? Wow! That was quick. 
eek.gif

I will start pressing refresh tomorrow night then. 
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

They were not joking when they said they were in stock and ready to ship.  
biggrin.gif
  I'm sure plenty of other folks will be getting theirs tomorrow as well.  Expect a flood of impressions.  

And remember that DAC's usually require burn-in time so initial impressions aren't always the final impressions.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #1,993 of 7,161
Upgrader here and #6 on the list. Got my request to send my Gungnir to Schiitt on Monday 8-17. They should receive by Wed 8-19 so will update on how long they take for the upgrade path.

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,994 of 7,161
Looking forward to impressions!

Definitely gonna consider an upgrade once the stupid Loonie (CAD) catches up closer to the USD... as of right now it's ludicrous to think of the exchange, shipping, and import/customs charges. (I'd estimate it would run me $800-900 CAD for this upgrade after all those costs.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back