Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 22, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #1,687 of 7,058
I mean they are the only ones really utilizing circloton topology to the consumer market atm

Only SOLID STATE circlotron.  But yes the amps and dacs are on par with each other.  Which is not to say that you will like the signature.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #1,689 of 7,058
Didn't what?

The Gungnir is awesome with the Mjolnir.  They balance each other out... FOR ME.  Some people will love the darkness of the Gungnir or the brightness of the Mjolnir.  Hell some people even like doubling up and using the Mjolnir with the HD800 :p

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #1,691 of 7,058
It is just a hunch of mine I have had for a while. I do not claim to have experienced most of Schiit's offerings. I am, however, very familiar with my Lyr. I do like it a great deal, but when I read about some saying they found their Schiit amp too aggressive, I do understand what they are talking about. I actually like it most of the time, but on a few recordings its almost like the amp is hitting my Senns with a sledge hammer. I really do want to try out the Asgard and especially the Valhalla though.

By contrast, I absolutely love my Gungnir without any exception. Since it is a smoother and more dynamic Bifrost Uber, I can conclude the Gungnir's nearest sibling is probably great too. My Modi was fantastic for the year I had it, preferring it to the ODAC. Reading impressions about the upcoming Yggdrasil that make it sound like the best DAC below $10k also doesn't mitigate the force of my hypothosis.

In other words, I just have a hunch (without knowing for certain) that Schiit does DACs really really well and that they do amps really well (with exceptions). Another point to consider is how rare one finds their DACs for sale in comparison with their amps. Again, I like their amps that I have heard a lot, so please dont get the wrong idea. I just think that perhaps their primary specialty is in their DAC department, based on my experience with their DACs and amps I have heard and the impressions I have read that correspond with some of my own in certain instances. I really want to try out their new uber lineup though. And It is very possible I will get a Val 2 if I dont get a Crack for my HD-650s somewhere down the road.

Hope I didnt offend anyone.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #1,692 of 7,058
I picked up a Gungnir on Friday, loving this thing. It replaced a HRT Music Streamer HD which developed a nasty habit of losing it's connection to my computer when asleep forcing a physical power cycle which annoyed me to the point of replacing it.

I'm glad I did, the Gungnir is an excellent DAC, I have yet to take advantage of the balanced output but my next amp will definitely be a balanced amp, either a Mjolnir or a Ragnarok most likely. I lean towards the Ragnarok as I prefer it to the Mjolnir sound signature despite the doubled cost.

After a couple of years of liking Schiit I'm finally a customer.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #1,693 of 7,058
I picked up a Gungnir on Friday, loving this thing. It replaced a HRT Music Streamer HD which developed a nasty habit of losing it's connection to my computer when asleep forcing a physical power cycle which annoyed me to the point of replacing it.

I'm glad I did, the Gungnir is an excellent DAC, I have yet to take advantage of the balanced output but my next amp will definitely be a balanced amp, either a Mjolnir or a Ragnarok most likely. I lean towards the Ragnarok as I prefer it to the Mjolnir sound signature despite the doubled cost.

After a couple of years of liking Schiit I'm finally a customer.

Thanks for reminding me to ask this: I am also currently limited to single ended output and am wondering what I am missing by not using the balanced output.

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #1,695 of 7,058
Some people say there's a difference between SE and BAL, some say there isn't. No big deal I think as it is pretty small if any. It also depends on the amplifier. If it is SE only, then that is running to its full potential, if it is BAL then once should use BAL. I believe Gung does BAL -> SE conversion.
The difference between Bifrost Uber and Gungnir is much bigger than Gung SE vs Gung BAL, for example. If there's a difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• jcn3
Back