Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #1,651 of 7,049

Correct, Gungnir using either of its outputs is still better than Bifrost.

I got the same response from the people at Schiit too - who seem like very honest people but of course would rather have me buy the Gungnir... but they do seem trustworthy judging from their no nonsense description of their products.  Someone at tech support at Schiit sent me an e-mail and said: Gungnir murders Bifrost on every system. If you have the space and budget it is a no brainer".

Thanks for your help peoples.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,652 of 7,049
The Gungnir was impressive enough in my system that it replaced my Bryston BDA-1 which is a good bit more expensive than the Gungnir. This isn't to say that you wouldn't be very pleased with the Bifrost Uber as I've only heard and read great things about it. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

By the way, I was told that "the Gungnir murders Bifrost" as well but not the "in/on every system" part. I did ask for an opinion and was given one...so nothing wrong with that as I'm VERY pleased with the Gungnir.  

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #1,653 of 7,049
So using the fully upgraded Gungnir in non-balanced mode is still better than the Bifrost?  IE: A fully upgraded Gungnir in non-balanced mode isn't exactly the same as a Bifrost right?  Because if it is the EXACT same, I may just go with the Bifrost (since I am not using balanced amp or headphones)

Please check out Purrin's first post in his comparison thread. Just search his name if you cant find it. He clearly states that that the upgraded Gungnir is superior to the Uberfrost even on single-ended output. He had five others with confirming the comparison. Whether you think it is worth the extra money is up to you. I can see a good argument for both sides. You could save money and buy yourself another pair of midfi headphones.

I decided to buy the Gungnir after much deliberation. I have a Lyr and could care less about an even stack as I have each piece on either side of my monitor. I am extremely satisfied with its performance so far, but I could see myself happy with the Uberfrost as well. One thing that is certain is that it has a very strong resale value on these forums if you decide to upgrade later.

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,654 of 7,049
Please check out Purrin's first post in his comparison thread. Just search his name if you cant find it. He clearly states that that the upgraded Gungnir is superior to the Uberfrost even on single-ended output. He had five others with confirming the comparison. Whether you think it is worth the extra money is up to you. I can see a good argument for both sides. You could save money and buy yourself another pair of midfi headphones.

I decided to buy the Gungnir after much deliberation. I have a Lyr and could care less about an even stack as I have each piece on either side of my monitor. I am extremely satisfied with its performance so far, but I could see myself happy with the Uberfrost as well. One thing that is certain is that it has a very strong resale value on these forums if you decide to upgrade later.

I've decided to stick with the Gungnir.  Will be using with a Lyr 2. Can't wait till the end of the month.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #1,655 of 7,049

Monoprice monitor stand less than 25 bucks it made stacking the smaller size amp on top of the gungnir much easier for me and it keeps the amp cooler since the gungnir does get a little warm after a couple of hours. Also don't regret the extra 330 dollars for the gungnir over the bifrost I did that for a few months and even made a few post about it but after the dust has settled I'm happy I went for the better dac.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #1,656 of 7,049

Monoprice monitor stand less than 25 bucks it made stacking the smaller size amp on top of the gungnir much easier for me and it keeps the amp cooler since the gungnir does get a little warm after a couple of hours. Also don't regret the extra 330 dollars for the gungnir over the bifrost I did that for a few months and even made a few post about it but after the dust has settled I'm happy I went for the better dac.

Wow, that's really nice looking. Thanks.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #1,657 of 7,049
So using the fully upgraded Gungnir in non-balanced mode is still better than the Bifrost?  IE: A fully upgraded Gungnir in non-balanced mode isn't exactly the same as a Bifrost right?  Because if it is the EXACT same, I may just go with the Bifrost (since I am not using balanced amp or headphones)

Yes, it would yield you an increase in SQ and also provide you with many more outs in case you want to hook up other amps in the future or a pair of studio monitors.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #1,658 of 7,049
so I read that the gungnir has simultaenous outputs.

Does this mean I can use two amps at the same time with it?

i.e. like one for me and one for my friend to test out another amp (we'd be hearing the same audio signal though I suspect right?)

ex: Gungnir---->vali>>>headphone

& (at the same time)

Gungnir---->lyr2-->headphone

Thanks for the help

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,661 of 7,049
I already know that I am about to ask a question unlikely, if not impossible,
are looking for a dac, that sounds simply better of the my my old and poor DVD player, a Sony DVP-S715,
as it may seem impossible, but I have already tried two dac (a iFi Micro iDSD, and now a Bifrost),
but still my old dvd player sounds better: more music, liquid, full-bodied, round, more airy, more analog,
another particular,the beating of the piano keys with DVD player, feels the finger touch the key, even in pianissimo, the little touch of the key is fuller bodied,
with Bifrost instead seems a slight ticking, without presence,
always with DVD player, the voices seem to come from the mouth and chest, with the Bifrost instead, seem to come from the mouth to the nose,
and overall with DVD player, there is a most live event, three-dimensional and soul, characteristics that are lost with the other two DAC.

Now I wanted to try to take the Gungnir, but I can not listen to it anywhere, and here the question/request impossible:
There is someone here who as at home the old Sony Dvd player DVP-S715 ?
and maybe can make comparison with Gungnir?

or however, is it possible that all these features come out with Gungnir compared to Bifrost?

Thanks to all

P.s.
Sorry for my bad English

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #1,662 of 7,049
If you love the sound of older players then hold onto your current Sony.  Newer, good, models are more precise, have lower jitter, tighter timing and things that comes along as technology improves.  But not everyone likes pinpoint imaging or starting and stopping on a dime.  I do, but you seem to favour a full round sound.  While the Gungnir is quite a bit warmer than my PWD2, compared to the Sony it's going to be razor sharp.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,663 of 7,049
If you love the sound of older players then hold onto your current Sony.  Newer, good, models are more precise, have lower jitter, tighter timing and things that comes along as technology improves.  But not everyone likes pinpoint imaging or starting and stopping on a dime.  I do, but you seem to favour a full round sound.  While the Gungnir is quite a bit warmer than my PWD2, compared to the Sony it's going to be razor sharp.

I do not know why, but to me, it seems that with these dac, he's talking about a bit of "fried air", a few years ago, before the advent of dac, a player who played as dac I've heard so far, it was simply a player to throw.

any other player I've heard so far, he has played better than my old Sony, instead with dac, I could not find one that came near to my Sony.

But someone here has ever tried to compare their dac with a whatever old player?

I can not believe we got to this point, here is not a matter of taste, here we are distorting reality.

but it is possible, that there is no a dac around $1000 which is as close to the sound of an old and common DVD player from $200 ?

Sorry for my bad English

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,664 of 7,049
but it is possible, that there is no a dac around $1000 which is as close to the sound of an old and common DVD player from $200 ?

Could it be that newer DAC's resolve more information from the digital domain and can preserve it when converting to analog?

This is a double edged sword IMHO, you get more detail which is a pro, but you hear all the faults that the audio engineer might of missed on his studio monitors.

I relate it to people preferring the pleasing distortion that tube amplifiers provide. Less detail, less clean, but it emotionally involves them more because they're not distracted by a less than perfect mix.

Just my 2c.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #1,665 of 7,049
Could it be that newer DAC's resolve more information from the digital domain and can preserve it when converting to analog?

This is a double edged sword IMHO, you get more detail which is a pro, but you hear all the faults that the audio engineer might of missed on his studio monitors.

I relate it to people preferring the pleasing distortion that tube amplifiers provide. Less detail, less clean, but it emotionally involves them more because they're not distracted by a less than perfect mix.

Just my 2c.

I do not know, but now I'm listening a MSB Link III of my friend, side by side to the Bifrost, is another planet, with the MSB the scene opens dramatically, seems to listen to multichannel, you are surrounded by sound.
Tell me that the Gungnir sounds very best of Bifrost, because I would buy,
with Gungnir, you can reach the wide stage, the analog sound and liquidity of the MSB ?

Tell me yes please.

Sorry for my bad English

Users who are viewing this thread

Back