Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 21, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #1,546 of 7,072
mmmm, I got mine initially without USB, so it will be new install for me. Does the board come with installation instructions?
Anyway, board should be here next couple of days, see if I can manage to not screw it up 
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,547 of 7,072
A more handy buddy of mine was over to supervise me doing it. It wasn't too complicate... just a bit hard to maneuver something so large to line up the LEDs and the button. So an extra pair of trusted hands is definitely helpful.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #1,548 of 7,072
A more handy buddy of mine was over to supervise me doing it. It wasn't too complicate... just a bit hard to maneuver something so large to line up the LEDs and the button. So an extra pair of trusted hands is definitely helpful.
[/quotes
Hmmm sounds easy enough, however I think I will get the Gungnir with the gen 2 usb already installed. I would love to install it myself my hands have nerve damage and I feel I would screw up. But it is great to know most people could do the installation themselves.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #1,549 of 7,072
Well..... received my USB gen 2 board today, installed it (went pretty smooth, even the LED's lined up nicely) installed the drivers on my laptop, plugged everything in and then......... nothing, no sound from the Gungnir/Mjolnir 
confused_face_2.gif

I could see the laptop speakers are using the "Schiit USB Audio Gen 2" driver and the little dials are moving up and down in there, but no music from either Spotify, Youtube, Mediaplayer, etc.

Opened the Gungnir again to see if I missed something, re-installed the drivers, used different USB port, all with the same results, dead silence. I tried it on another laptop and hooked it to my Samsung Chromebook, all with the same result.

Any idea what might have gone wrong here?
I use my Modi/Magni on the same USB port with the same Schiit USB cable and they still work, so can't be any of those I guess (and yes, all volume settings have been checked and I selected the USB input on my Gungnir, as suggested by Schiit 
biggrin.gif
 )

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,551 of 7,072
Quote:
  Well..... received my USB gen 2 board today, installed it (went pretty smooth, even the LED's lined up nicely) installed the drivers on my laptop, plugged everything in and then......... nothing, no sound from the Gungnir/Mjolnir 
confused_face_2.gif

I could see the laptop speakers are using the "Schiit USB Audio Gen 2" driver and the little dials are moving up and down in there, but no music from either Spotify, Youtube, Mediaplayer, etc.

Opened the Gungnir again to see if I missed something, re-installed the drivers, used different USB port, all with the same results, dead silence. I tried it on another laptop and hooked it to my Samsung Chromebook, all with the same result.

Any idea what might have gone wrong here?
I use my Modi/Magni on the same USB port with the same Schiit USB cable and they still work, so can't be any of those I guess (and yes, all volume settings have been checked and I selected the USB input on my Gungnir, as suggested by Schiit 
biggrin.gif
 )

Do you hear the usual relay clicks when playing songs of different sample rates over USB? If you don't, then I suspect the signal isn't reaching the Gungnir due to a driver or setting problem or there is something wrong with the USB board.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #1,552 of 7,072
  Quote:

Do you hear the usual relay clicks when playing songs of different sample rates over USB? If you don't, then I suspect the signal isn't reaching the Gungnir due to a driver or setting problem or there is something wrong with the USB board.

Hi, I only hear the relay clicks when I reboot my laptop (with the usb cable connected) after that no more clicks.
I've removed and re-installed the driver and I've done another install of the driver on a different laptop and tried it on Chromebook (not sure if that is even supported)

I'm waiting for a response from my local Schiit dealer to respond now. See where this goes.........

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #1,554 of 7,072
Aug 26, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #1,555 of 7,072
Under Device Manager / Sound, Video and Game Controllers: do you see Schiit USB Audio Device listed? 

I'm sorry for asking such a basic question, but I didn't see if you had checked for it under Device Manager yet.

I hope you're able to get it worked out very soon, I know issues like these are a pain. 

We had one office PC (running Windows 7 x64) and for whatever reason it had trouble at first with both the Gungnir Gen 2 USB and Bryston BDA-1. The ONLY way we got it up and running was to go to the Device Manager and one by one remove/uninstall every USB Root Hub and Generic Hub and then restart then PC and having it reinstall all of them (automatically) on that next bootup. Once that was done we plugged in the Gungnir and it worked perfectly...may be worth a shot. 

Good luck! 

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,556 of 7,072
Or tech@schiit.com, Nick is extremely helpful..

I bought the USB board from Schiit-Europe (Sonority Audio here in the Netherlands are authorized Schiit dealer) so I was asked to contact them by Nick. Makes sense to me.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #1,557 of 7,072
Something weird just happened, not sure if it had to do with Gungnir or Audirvana.  Music was playing back at about 90-95% normal speed.  I restarted them both and it is back to normal.  Just curious if it has happened to anyone else or if anyone has any ideas of what may have caused it.

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #1,558 of 7,072
  Something weird just happened, not sure if it had to do with Gungnir or Audirvana.  Music was playing back at about 90-95% normal speed.  I restarted them both and it is back to normal.  Just curious if it has happened to anyone else or if anyone has any ideas of what may have caused it.

It happened to me with Gungnir and Amarra. I think I was clicking very quickly between songs(16/44.1 to 24/192 and back) and I seem to remember Amarra was indicating a rate different than the recording. I quit Amarra and restarted it. Things came back to normal.

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,559 of 7,072

Just a second confirmation that, yes, it was playing at an incorrect sample rate. If you don't hear the Gungnir click then it probably hasn't switch sample rates. Foobar and XMPlay always switch sample rates as needed. In uLilith I usually have to stop playback then click play to get the sample rate to change. Actually everything I just said may only apply if using ASIO output. I remember different types of outputs behaving differently.

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,560 of 7,072
I don't know how it double posted?
I also keep finding that I'm logged out after about 1 minute. It's making me a faster typer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back