Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jul 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,516 of 7,055
I think you'll find that the Gungnir absolutely preforms beyond its price point. I'm using one in my office system with Windows 7 x64 and it ended up beating out my Bryston BDA-1 and Benchmark DAC1 USB. Good digital gear has become VERY good so I don't hear the night and day differences between better DAC's like I would just around 4-5 years ago. Yet over the period of a couple weeks, while relaxed and simply enjoying my music (not trying to listen to the gear for differences be they good or bad differences) I found that I enjoyed the less expensive Gungnir over the two other well regarded DAC's. I certainly enjoy many aspects of both the Bryston and the Benchmark but if I could only keep one of the three it would be the Gungnir.

I don't have any MP3's other than Audiobooks so the music I'm listening to is as well recorded as I can find which "should" help and to my ears the Gungnir sounds outstanding. I listen via speakers (Magnepan 1.7's or B&W 805's...both with a Velodyne DD series sub) more often than headphones and to me, in my rooms, the Gungnir has a beautifully natural midrange, tight powerful bass with a very, very clean yet detailed treble. You have to be careful when choosing your source/DAC with the B&W's or the Nautilus tweeter can become a tad bright (at least in my office that's carpeted but without much on the walls...a lot of hard surfaces) yet the Gungnir allowed all the detail (if not more) to flow that I'm accustomed to without any harshness and soundstage is outstanding. I understand that some will argue that a soundstage is B.S yet with well recorded material I'm able to hear all the musicians spread out across the room behind the speakers and at times beyond the side walls and almost always deeper than the back wall. 

I haven't heard the Bottlehead Crack (I've heard good things about it) so my bet is that you're going to truly enjoy the combination of it and the Gungnir.
Best of luck!

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,517 of 7,055
^^^Anybody that argues against the soundstage provided by an excellent stereo system is either very ignorant, or full of Schiit.

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #1,518 of 7,055
To be fair, a lot of sources paint a fuzzy mess of a soundstage.  The Gungnir imaging is on the other hand precise.

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,520 of 7,055
Hello I a set of alpha dogs and the lyr2 amp, I was wondering which dac should I get, either the Gungnir or the Bifrost. Which of these dacs has the better synergy with the AD'S. Thanks for your time.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #1,522 of 7,055
If you can swing it the Gungnir is the better dac even single ended.
Thanks I shall next save up for the Gungnir dac. And early next year, I shall go for the Ragnarok and balanced cables and see how alpha dogs sound in balanced mode. Thanks again.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,523 of 7,055
  Well, fellas, it'll soon be time for me to receive my Gungnir in the mail directly from Schiit via Amazon. I got the USB version, and will be using that connection primarily. I will be using a Windows 7 PC ----> USB ----> Gungnir ----> Bottlehead Crack (Speedplay) ----> Sennheiser HD-650s. I was wondering if anyone here uses this combo, and how it works for them. Please drop a line with impressions, suggestions, potential hurdles etc. A couple of years ago, I had an LCD 2 Rev. 2 coupled with a Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA/DAC. I really enjoyed that setup but had to take a hiatus from it due to travel. Now, I am back, looking to obtain that same level of sound, but economically smarter. Reading the comments on here and around the web, I get the impression the Gungnir should punch above its price point to the level of the Isabellina DAC. I also suspect it will have the same sound signature; very organic, realistic timbre, great palpable mid-range, tamed highs. Any input would be appreciated.

I use the Bifrost Uber at the office and the Gungnir at home. I use the Crack exclusively with the 650 and the Senn 800. There is no doubt in my mind that Gungnir punches way above its price although that is more an emotional statement. The Gungnir is the most expensive DAC I own so take the previous statement with some salt!

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #1,524 of 7,055
Thanks KLJTech and Kothganesh. Also, I'm glad to hear that the Gungnir, Crack, HD-650 combo synergises. It should arrive soon and I'm proper stoked. Having everything in place without a DAC is pretty painful. My EMU 0404 USB is holding things down for now.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #1,526 of 7,055
  Thanks KLJTech and Kothganesh. Also, I'm glad to hear that the Gungnir, Crack, HD-650 combo synergises. It should arrive soon and I'm proper stoked. Having everything in place without a DAC is pretty painful. My EMU 0404 USB is holding things down for now.

Welcome aboard! And let us know when you want the Mjolnir
wink.gif
. A great pairing with the Gungnir for your Audez'e. Now what was the saying again on Head-fi?
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,527 of 7,055
Sadly the Audezes were sold years ago ( I do need to update my profile). Since I am assembling an HD-650/BH Crack system now, I may look to obtain one of the better LCDs (3 or X) with a statement amp someday. Not in the near future though.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,528 of 7,055
Well, the Gungnir is in the house and so far I like what I am hearing. It has the attributes I am looking for. Also, the build quality....WOW! 
@kothganesh- I doubt I'll be looking at the Mjolnir. I am a slave to the tube. I don't live without them. Now, if we could only get Ragnarok to.......I'll stop dreaming.
I understand the Gungnir needs a lot of time to burn-in, so I won't bore/mislead anyone with early impressions, since things are bound to change for the better. 

Night, fellas.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,529 of 7,055
  Well, the Gungnir is in the house and so far I like what I am hearing. It has the attributes I am looking for. Also, the build quality....WOW! 
@kothganesh- I doubt I'll be looking at the Mjolnir. I am a slave to the tube. I don't live without them. Now, if we could only get Ragnarok to.......I'll stop dreaming.
I understand the Gungnir needs a lot of time to burn-in, so I won't bore/mislead anyone with early impressions, since things are bound to change for the better. 

Night, fellas.

Understand and share your reluctance to write about anything before at least 20 hours of listening (IMO, of course). Enjoy !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back