Schiit Gungnir DAC
Dec 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,307 of 7,161
I got it from Audio Advisor... I assume they're pretty good, as they have a really nice catalog and stuff.

Anyway, Amazon is pretty awesome for returning stuff.  I wish they carried more  audiophile brands.

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,308 of 7,161
I got it from Audio Advisor... I assume they're pretty good, as they have a really nice catalog and stuff.

Anyway, Amazon is pretty awesome for returning stuff.  I wish they carried more  audiophile brands.

Yeah same sold by audio-advisor. There were only 3 left when I bought it so that's why I said I'm glad I didn't get yours :/ yeah I wish amazon carried more audiophile stuff, I don't understand why these companies don't sell on amazon (with Amazon PRIME!!!) if anything they'd get more customers because of the amazon store card.

The one thing I hate about Audio-Advisor is they send me these stupid magazines. I didn't ask to be sent them, I just throw them straight into the trash.

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,309 of 7,161
I can't really write a review of the Gungnir since I have nothing with which to compare it: it's my first DAC other than the one in my Pure I-20 (well, and the one in my iPad...). I bought it when Schiit was considering a balanced-in, single-ended-out tube amp to go with the Gungnir. Sadly, much to my disappointment, that project was scrapped, and Schiit left a gap in its product line: no tube amp with Gungnir's footprint. Since I wanted a tube amp, not the solid state Mjolnir, and I didn't have the funds for a fully balanced tube amp, I ended up buying a WA2, which can stack on the Gungnir. But when I first bought the Gungnir, I was using a Valhalla with HD-700s, then HD800s. I'm not sure how to describe the effect of the Gungnir--it's as if I had a gorgeous old oil painting: the Gungnir instantly wiped away centuries of grime. Suddenly my sound was clean and gorgeous, but at first, much too sparkly. Listening to rock, high hats and cymbals were just too present--distractingly so. Fortunately, after about 150 hours of burn in, the high treble spike mellowed considerably. As I said, I really don't have a frame of reference, but even just using the Gungnir's single-ended output, I couldn't be more pleased. The Dac seems very neutral overall, perhaps tending warm after it's been burned in. It goes wonderfully well with both the WA2 and HD-800s.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #1,310 of 7,161
I can't really write a review of the Gungnir since I have nothing with which to compare it: it's my first DAC other than the one in my Pure I-20 (well, and the one in my iPad...). I bought it when Schiit was considering a balanced-in, single-ended-out tube amp to go with the Gungnir. Sadly, much to my disappointment, that project was scrapped, and Schiit left a gap in its product line: no tube amp with Gungnir's footprint. Since I wanted a tube amp, not the solid state Mjolnir, and I didn't have the funds for a fully balanced tube amp, I ended up buying a WA2, which can stack on the Gungnir. But when I first bought the Gungnir, I was using a Valhalla with HD-700s, then HD800s. I'm not sure how to describe the effect of the Gungnir--it's as if I had a gorgeous old oil painting: the Gungnir instantly wiped away centuries of grime. Suddenly my sound was clean and gorgeous, but at first, much too sparkly. Listening to rock, high hats and cymbals were just too present--distractingly so. Fortunately, after about 150 hours of burn in, the high treble spike mellowed considerably. As I said, I really don't have a frame of reference, but even just using the Gungnir's single-ended output, I couldn't be more pleased. The Dac seems very neutral overall, perhaps tending warm after it's been burned in. It goes wonderfully well with both the WA2 and HD-800s.

I agree. I noticed this DAC seems to 'slow' music down and almost like it lifts a layer off the music to deliver beautiful neutral sound. I use mine in Single ended mode too. I'm using it with my Valhalla and HE-500 (The HE-500's actually go very well with this amp even though lots of people disagree) right now but mostly with my Vintage receivers it sounds so nice. I want to get a balanced amp at some point to try these HE-500's balanced. 

I noticed a difference right away from my Crapforce UDH-100. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #1,312 of 7,161
  I'm not using any drivers.  

I'm trying Optical now, and it's giving me the same problem.

Though I think it is really late to reply your post as I was not in touch with forum, still I will share my experience. My Gungnir had same problem as yours, I wrote Jason about it and at first he indicated the cause might be due to Ground Loop. Later it was found due to a bad power transformer, which was replaced by the SCHIIT after sending the unit back. I think as a company they should more careful and strict inspecting and selecting their components. For details you may visit this link - http://www.hifivision.com/dac/46949-schiit-gungnir-my-experience-my-dilemma.html

Regards

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #1,313 of 7,161
Have any of your Gungnir owners compared it against the ARCAM irDAC? Given their similarity and rave reviews of the latter (by WhatHiFi) I find myself cross-shopping them.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #1,314 of 7,161
  Anyone tried one of those external usb power supplies, eg. iusb or similar device with the gungnir? Any impressions good/bad/indifferent. Thanks ddod

Gungnir doesn't get power from the USB port, so why would this have an effect?  I'm not saying it wouldn't, just that I don't see how it would.  I think you could get the same effect by taping the power pins on the USB cable.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #1,315 of 7,161
Gungnir doesn't get power from the USB port, so why would this have an effect?  I'm not saying it wouldn't, just that I don't see how it would.  I think you could get the same effect by taping the power pins on the USB cable.

Thanks for the info. Yeah may have no affect what so ever, was curious if anyone had tried one since I've been seeing them around hf more

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #1,316 of 7,161

Just curious where you are going in your DAC journey as I notice you are selling your current DAC?

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,318 of 7,161
Alright been messing around with taping pin 1 (power) on my usb cable tonight. Unfortunately the pin does seem to need contact for the macbook pro to recognize the gungnir(or vise versa). Pull the tape off and the gungnir is immediately recognized.  

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #1,319 of 7,161
  Alright been messing around with taping pin 1 (power) on my usb cable tonight. Unfortunately the pin does seem to need contact for the macbook pro to recognize the gungnir(or vise versa). Pull the tape off and the gungnir is immediately recognized.  

Pretty sure that Schiit's USB board is powered through the USB connection. Otherwise it wouldn't be found by the computer until you turned the DAC on.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,320 of 7,161
  I agree. I noticed this DAC seems to 'slow' music down and almost like it lifts a layer off the music to deliver beautiful neutral sound. I use mine in Single ended mode too. I'm using it with my Valhalla and HE-500 (The HE-500's actually go very well with this amp even though lots of people disagree) right now but mostly with my Vintage receivers it sounds so nice. I want to get a balanced amp at some point to try these HE-500's balanced. 

I noticed a difference right away from my Crapforce UDH-100. 

I noticed this too! Jumping from one source (like the Cowon J3 or even the Bifrost) then coming to the Gung "slows" the timing down (or probably speeds it up depending on the source you're listening to) - likely due to the "Adapticlock™ clock regeneration system", yeah? It also allows (for lack of a better word) "texturing" of the sound to happen more often. I'm continually astounded at the feel of the timing, and how appropriate it is, regardless of the song I'm listening to. It's truly a great feat! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back