Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 26, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #5,236 of 7,084
I have used my AK240 as a source to feed the GMB, via RCA cable. It sounded great.
Have not tried connecting via USB...don't have the right cable.

I have already built USB type 2 A-B cables using American made wire, sometime soon I will experiment making mini and micro USB so if you know the type you need I may be able to send a sample. It is not something my company sells at this time other than pre-made and I am always interested in getting feedback. I build these for my own usage.

Aug 26, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #5,237 of 7,084
I have already built USB type 2 A-B cables using American made wire, sometime soon I will experiment making mini and micro USB so if you know the type you need I may be able to send a sample. It is not something my company sells at this time other than pre-made and I am always interested in getting feedback. I build these for my own usage.

Thank you! It would be nice to have a back-up source for the Mac.
Will check it out and let you know, Tom...appreciate the offer. :)

Aug 26, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #5,238 of 7,084
If they are common ends I may well be able to help. I strive for functionality as well as gorgeosity.

“Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh. The trombones crunched redgold under my bed, and behind my gulliver the trumpets three-wise silverflamed, and there by the door the timps rolling through my guts and out again crunched like candy thunder.

Anthony Burgess IMG_0064.jpg

I always liked the line "crunched like candy thunder."

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #5,240 of 7,084
I'm wondering if something might be wrong with my Mimby as I'm getting glassy, cold, sharp treble. I haven't had the courage to plug in my AFC with the Mimby. The AFO is much warmer and I'm still having to use the notch filters.

This is very strange to me as I've never experienced treble fatigue or anything close. I love bright / treble heavy headphones like the MSR7 and the AFC.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Eikon and Atticus. I'd really like to hear either of those at some point. The closest to them I have is the Emu Teak and they sound amazing from the Jot + balanced DS DAC. I'm still getting a hard sound with the Mimby though.

I'm concerned that my Jotunheim isn't grounded as I've recently found that it hums if I touch the pot or case. Maybe there is some ground loop invoked when using the Mimby. However I don't have any problems using the iDSD BL as an external DAC to the Mimby is the only thing giving me problems.

Any idea if a Vali 2 would fix the treble issue?
I also noticed recently that my Jotunheim was having hum when touching the case or the pot. I opened the case and took a file to the keyhole slots connecting the cover to the rest of the case, and the hum went away

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #5,241 of 7,084
I've decided to downgrade. My basically new Gumby is up for sale as well as the Taurus MKII.

Give a listen to the Bryston BHA-1 amplifier........it's got plenty of energy for my taste! :)

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #5,242 of 7,084
I've decided to downgrade. My basically new Gumby is up for sale as well as the Taurus MKII.
What has led you to the decision to downgrade friend? Both those devices the gumby and taurus could be considered end game equipment. I hope its not cause of an unresolved noise issue or something like that cause there are quite a few fixes for those type of things. I had a few of those issues which were driving me bat crap crazy for a while but have since been able to resolve for the most part. If you need any help please feel free to ask me I will do my best to assist.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #5,243 of 7,084
Yea, that's partly why I got them. There were no technical issues. The sound was not really remotely worth it. I've been having vague doubts from the start, and I've documented being underwhelmed with the Gumby in this thread. Peace of mind having "end game equipment" finally notwithstanding, I decided to switch to the portable iFi Nano Black Label that I recently determined is a complete waste of money and lo and behold the sound wasn't much different. I know for a fact I got more energetic sound out of a Mimby and Jotunheim that was notably "clean" or "clear" too, which at this point I wonder if it isn't a function of the "energy". I was not about to commit >$2000 into a glorified Nano Black Label, and that's a little flattering, that I recently heard being outperformed by a laptop directly with an HD 650 that I was led to believe would be silly to listen to through a laptop. Mind you, I was fully balanced with the Gumby and Taurus MKII and the LCD-X. Ridiculous how little I got out of those very expensive pieces of equipment. Needless to say based on first-hand experience I wouldn't trust any reviewer or poster anymore. At best you just roll the dice based on what people claim, but in the context of this niche market do not be surprised by disappointment and highly questionable prices. The key part of "diminishing returns" should be returns, not diminishing. Fortunately there's value in reselling. I got a Jotunheim with a multibit DAC module and the rest of the money will go into things that are far more likely to be better and worth it. I've tried looking into alternatives but another aspect of this niche market is a lack of confidence-inspiring ones, not to mention the money involved with others.

I also wonder just how much a number of headphones being more difficult to drive simply in terms of needing more power obfuscates the value of equipment.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #5,244 of 7,084
Man I hate to hear that seeing as I just ordered a Gumby and MJ2 to run my LCD-Xs and Ether C Flows. But then again there is always the part of this hobby that is hardest to account for which is each individuals own listening preferences. I hope you find your endgame friend but until then I enjoy my Jot with multibit dac as well. It is truly a fantastic amp dac for the price.

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #5,246 of 7,084
Which headphones did you own before the LCD-X?

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #5,247 of 7,084
I've had the HD 800S, Hifiman Edition X v2, and Aeon Flow Open at home. Listened to Focals and Audeze LCD-3 at a store (briefly Audeze LCD-4). Had the Hifiman HE-400i, not worth noting DT 770 at first. Recently briefly listened to HD 650.

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #5,248 of 7,084
well, if you tried them all with your setup and never found it likable enough to warrant such an expensive investment then a "downgrade" is a good idea. Imo the recent Modi Multibit is a damn good DAC.
I'm very happy with my setup. I liked the Black Widow v2 as well which I finally could here recently (230V versions are very very rare) but it actually made me hold onto the V281 closer.

Didn't like the Jotunheim at all. Steely/edgy to me, not as refined as I would have liked. Had plenty of kick/stomp though but it seems to have a lot of fans. Have yet to find a Schiit amp that wins me over but their DAC line is outstanding.

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #5,249 of 7,084
The LCD-X is the only headphone I tried with Mimby + Jot, Gumby + Jot, and most recently Gumby + Taurus MKII. It's the headphone I've decided to keep as well so that suffices for me. The HD 800S I tried with Gumby + Jot and Gumby + Taurus MKII. I got the Taurus MKII hoping to salvage the 800S but it did nothing for the 800S aside from taking it easier on my ears while helping the LCD-X with separation and soundstage relative to the Jot. But all this is in the context of a crappy Nano Black Label not being far from this stack, which I know is crappy due to agreeing with two other people that a freaking laptop sounds better with an HD 650 than that $200 charity purchase. Needless to say I'm pretty miffed with the nonsense people write. I'm going back to the Jot with a multibit DAC module that's hopefully very close to the Modi Multibit for the energy and perceived clarity, the energy that I lost with both the Gumby and the Taurus MKII without anything jaw-dropping in return but a huge hole in my bank account. This time I have a balanced cable for the LCD-X too so hopefully that helps with separation and space. Ideally I'd have gotten a V281 but in this niche market people clearly aren't afraid of taking pounds of flesh out of you for the privilege of having their products, not to mention I've seen a claim or two that the V281 and Taurus MKII are either pretty close to one another or that in some instances the Taurus MKII can be preferable.

I really don't understand what people hear in the Gumby. Funny thing is I read some pretty far-flung stuff in the Magni 3 thread. It's as if owners like to indulge in hyperbole.

You know, maybe I just lack some sort of zen feeling to appreciate things. But on the flipside people need to be sober too and counter-intuitive as it may be I now believe experience with lower end DACs and amps is paramount, granted sufficient driving capability. Make sure the true volume is the same, then decide whether you're getting your money's worth. What exactly you're getting over much cheaper alternatives. Some truly diminished returns could be worthwhile to some people, preposterous to others.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• G0rt
Back