Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,037 of 1,697
Yeah, it's a shame schiit couldn't fit a gain switch somewhere.  My Fulla 2 has a slight left channel imbalance until around 8:30 which makes it a bit annoying.  I feel kind of bad asking for a second replacement, and seeing how common the pot issues are on here makes me hesitant to recommend the Fulla 2 nowadays.

I rarely have to pass 9 o'clock when it comes to my regular listening level, even with some of my harder to drive cans.  Definitely would have preferred less gain to help offset the pot imbalance.

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #1,038 of 1,697
Are you guys really having that much of a problem with distortion if you digitally reduce the volume by like 20%? I hear absolutely no difference between 9 o'clock at 100% vs. 12 o'clock at 50%, so I don't really buy that whole argument about distortion. Seems pretty placebo to me.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #1,039 of 1,697
I can digitally reduce the volume to 20%, sure.  But it messes with the volume level of my shadowplay video capture so it would be a bit nice if I didn't have to do that.  And for efficient IEMs I sometimes have to go down to 10%.

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,040 of 1,697
I had only listened to my Fulla 2 with my HD 650s, and the sound was excellent.
To check for channel imbalance, I connected my Etymotic HF5 earphones. Well, I have zero channel imbalance at low volume using these 16 ohm impedance IEMs.
Also, I do not have a scratchy pot. And the pot is aligned perfectly, as it should be.

I do not feel "lucky" -- I think my Fulla 2 is representative of the majority of owners. I could not be more pleased!

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #1,041 of 1,697
For the guys who are having trouble getting enough range from the pot, and are inclined to try some diy work, check this out:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/

I don't have a F2 myself (yet), but do have a hybrid amp that was giving me the same problems. Could barely get past the imbalance point without things getting louder than I cared for. Built a couple of these attenuators and they've done the trick quite nicely

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #1,044 of 1,697
It does a beautiful job with my HD650s .The two multibit dacs (Mimby & Bimby) have spoiled me but the Fulla 2 offers a great deal of performance for only $99.

How would you describe the pairing? If the Fulla 2 warm sounding?
I tried with the X5iii which was quite warm and thick, paired with HD650 it made it overly warm and too thick for my taste.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #1,045 of 1,697
Yeah the Fulla 2 can drive HD 650s.  No issue when it comes to volume.  Although there is a small difference when adding a magni 2 imo.  The bass sounds a bit punchier and cleaner on the Magni 2.  But is it a $100 improvement?  Probably not.  Sound straight out the Fulla 2 is pretty damn good.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #1,046 of 1,697
They can drive 600's no problem.  I know people claim scaling with amps that push much more power but I think that's more an issue of power supply noise suppression and better circuitry cleanliness overall rather than actual power availability.

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #1,047 of 1,697
How would you describe the pairing? If the Fulla 2 warm sounding?
I tried with the X5iii which was quite warm and thick, paired with HD650 it made it overly warm and too thick for my taste.

I'm not very good at describing the differences between amps so perhaps others will give you their insights. I do have the original X5 and did not like it with the HD650s, at all. I would describe the sound as 'muddy'. I added  a FiiO e12 amp and the sound improved dramatically but my original Magni/Modi stack sounded noticeably better. I sold my magni/modi stack so I'm just guessing but i think the Fulla 2 sounds at least as good as that combo and I like it a lot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back