Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #751 of 1,697
My Fulla 2 is finally here and it's pretty awesome! This is my first DAC/amp and so far I'm impressed with it. Affordable, portable, versatile, and made in the USA. Great value for money. 

So far I've really only got one complaint and it's that I can't use my MacBook's EQ. The only way I've found to get around that is to bypass the DAC and just use the Fulla as an amp. The downside to that is that I use Boom 2 as an EQ and when amped through the Fulla 2 it sounds very distorted.  I haven't messed with it a lot yet but I hope I can find a way to EQ my music while still using the Fulla 2 as a DAC and an amp. 

Other than that little caveat, I really like it. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #752 of 1,697

So far I've really only got one complaint and it's that I can't use my MacBook's EQ. 

What EQ are you referring to?  I don't know of any built-in OSX EQ setting that's part of the base operating system.

You can add AU plugins and use apps to get EQ,  though.

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #753 of 1,697
Looks like from his post he is using Boom 2, which is an app available on the Mac App Store that apparently installs system-wide "audio enhancements," including EQ, but while it is popular with plenty, there are also reviews about distortion due to its usage.

What EQ are you referring to?  I don't know of any built-in OSX EQ setting that's part of the base operating system.

You can add AU plugins and use apps to get EQ,  though.

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #754 of 1,697
  Here's my impressions thus far on the Fulla 2, compared to my onboard sound and Denon AVR-X2000 HP port with HD598's.  I've done all my testing with Blu-Ray movies and PC games, since that is my primary usage.  I ordered a set of DT990's to try with the F2, but based on responses in this thread i'm not hopeful.  I'll update if I'm pleasantly surprised.

My initial impression of the F2 was that there was an extra level of clarity over both my mobo sound and receiver in comparison.  The more I listen though, the extra detail was just due to lower output from the F2 on the lower end.  The onboard card on my mobo doesn't have a great amp, and uses the Realtek ALC898 codec.  I prefer the onboard sound to that of the F2 due to it being much fuller down low, while still maintaining detail on the high end.  If I had to make a choice between the two, I would still choose the F2 as it has a higher volume threshold.  There are times when I would like a little more volume compared to what my onboard can provide.

Plugged into the receiver is a similar situation to the above.  The sound is fuller than the F2, and I have plenty of volume headroom.  So the receiver wins hands down here for my use.  I don't know what the impedance of the HP port on my receiver is, but I assumed it wasn't really intended for frequent HP use.  I would have bet money that the F2 was going to come on top of this comparison, but that wasn't the case.

So where does that leave me with the Fulla?  I'm torn to be honest.  It doesn't sound as good as my other options in the physical space it would be used at home, so I won't use it there.  I would consider it as a mobile option for travel and work, but the USB ports are so tight I don't want to use it unless i'm plugging it in and leaving it in place.  Like tight enough it feels like I might snap the end of the cable off while plugging in.  I've seen where there is potentially a way to adjust those myself, but i'm not keen on doing that.  I think the F2 will be a great option for some people, just not me.  I'd have to put extra feet on the bottom of this thing to balance it also.  It is incredibly annoying to have it rocking back and forth.

I've heard all the great things about Shiit as a company and this is my first purchase from them.  I can say I was impressed by their representation early in the thread regarding their recognition of the iOS issues and its resolution.  On the flip side, their more recent representation in this thread is horrendous in my opinion.  

I received my DT990 Pro's (250ohm) a couple days ago and several hours on them and the F2.  On the 990 I am able to distinguish better detail on the F2 vs my onboard or receiver, although they aren't worlds apart.  The problem with the 990 and F2 is that with some content I'm at max volume.  

So now I'm wondering if I would be better off swapping the F2 for a similarly priced DAC only, with the plan to get an amp with more power.  I really want to build a Bottlehead Crack, the only cans I see myself getting besides my DT990/HD598 would be the HD6XX or HD7XX or their closest equivalents.  So i'm not sure if the F2 would be a good companion DAC for that amp or not?  I know, I went from a $100 amp/DAC to probably $500 or more in the end.  Maybe way overkill for the cans I'm considering.

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #755 of 1,697
I received my DT990 Pro's (250ohm) a couple days ago and several hours on them and the F2.  On the 990 I am able to distinguish better detail on the F2 vs my onboard or receiver, although they aren't worlds apart.  The problem with the 990 and F2 is that with some content I'm at max volume.  

So now I'm wondering if I would be better off swapping the F2 for a similarly priced DAC only, with the plan to get an amp with more power.  I really want to build a Bottlehead Crack, the only cans I see myself getting besides my DT990/HD598 would be the HD6XX or HD7XX or their closest equivalents.  So i'm not sure if the F2 would be a good companion DAC for that amp or not?  I know, I went from a $100 amp/DAC to probably $500 or more in the end.  Maybe way overkill for the cans I'm considering.

Not sure what content you are talking about but i cannot pass 3/4. I also found i had to turn the pot alot before reaching loud volume but 3/4 ( 3 oclock ) is loud enought. I also have the dt990 pro 250ohm

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #756 of 1,697
My assumption was that usb on the XBOne is for data, not audio. The way to get digital audio out of the XBOne is to use optical out, which is the excuse to buy Modi uber or Modi multibit. That's my justification for a future purchase, anyway :wink:

I had to smile since this is a bit similar to my situation. In addition to using the Fulla 2 for music on my laptop, I am using it as an amp only by feeding the RCA outputs on my TV to the 3.5mm input. I'm thinking of upgrading over the next few months to a Modi Uber (and a Magni) so I can use the optical out on my TV and get the benefit of a better DAC. I'm a serious movie/TV watcher and watch a lot of steaming video as well as Blu-rays, so I am listening to some decent sources. (Because of space and probable neighbor issues, I only have a rudimentary sound system in my studio apartment and do almost all of my listening with headphones.) And I see how the costs of this hobby add up--since I doubt a Modi/Magni stack would be much if any upgrade over the Fulla 2 with my Fidelio X2s, I'll have to further justify it by getting a pair of Sennheiser 600s or 650s (probably the latter).

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #757 of 1,697
i purchased on saturday, and my Fulla 2 arrived this evening. this is my first Schiit product, and i have to admit that i was nervous based on some of the reviews here. my initial review:

after about two hours, i am mostly happy with it. the volume knob is more or less even, and there isn't any static when rotating it. the screws are fine. the clearance on both micro USB openings is definitely too tight, so i may have to remove the casing and create some more space around the ports. i'm not too happy about that.

as for sound quality (HD600), compared to my m-audio interface and my onboard realtek ALC892 codec, there's some positive, and some negative. on the positive side, the sound is moderately more airy and clear. instruments sound less clustered, and there's greater detail and placement. i spent about 30 minutes A/B'ing on tracks that i know very well. honestly, i need to keep the volume below 11 o'clock, and for late night quieter listening, something like 8:30 is plenty loud.

unfortunately, this improved, bright sound comes at a cost, which is weaker bass. i'm not a bass head, and i also have audio technica ATH-AD700, which are inherently bass-light, so it's not a deal breaker for me, but i can't help but think about what a modi/magni stack might sound like. however, the stack is twice the price for the non-uber versions, so there's something to be said there.

i got USB audio sporadically working on my S7 - sometimes it would play slowed down, low distorted music, like when a tape player is running out of battery, but i did get it working somehow and it sounded good. the S7 DAC isn't that bad, and it's certainly passable for going to work and whatnot, but it's nice to have the option of portability.

i'll listen more over the next week before deciding, but i will most likely keep it (and enjoy it) unless something changes or breaks.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #758 of 1,697
I've received my Fulla 2 (from schiit.eu.com). 

Everything seems to be fine with the exception of the USB OTG function (Maybe the problem is the phone and it's not compatible with the Fulla2? It's a Moto G 1st gen but it works with another DAC):

- Moto G -> nuForce uDAC-2 = Works Fine
- Moto G -> Fulla 2 = It seems to detect a DAC (phone's speaker is not used) but Fulla 2 is not playing anything. (I'm using also the power input for the Fulla 2 connected to one microusb charger).

Any ideas? 
Thanks!

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #759 of 1,697
  I've received my Fulla 2 (from schiit.eu.com). 

Everything seems to be fine with the exception of USB OTG (Maybe the problem is the phone and it's not compatible with the Fulla2? It's a Moto G 1st gen but it works with another DAC):

- Moto G -> nuForce uDAC-2 = Works Fine
- Moto G -> Fulla 2 = It seems to detect a DAC (phone's speaker is not used) but Fulla 2 is not playing anything. (I'm using also the power input for the Fulla 2 connected to one microusb charger).

Any ideas? 
Thanks!

See if you can try it on a friend's iOS device, via the CCK. If it doesn't work on that either, you have one of the faulty units that won't work on mobile devices. I had a couple of those, and had to get them replaced.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #760 of 1,697

See if you can try it on a friend's iOS device, via the CCK. If it doesn't work on that either, you have one of the faulty units that won't work on mobile devices. I had a couple of those, and had to get them replaced.

Thanks. I don't have those iPhones adapters...
I will try with to buy this (Type-C OTG to USB 3.0) adapter today and If I get it by tomorrow I'll try to use my phone (Nexus 5X) with it. 

If I have a bad unit, is there a way to fix this by myself? (Because I'd have to send it back to UK, it will take several days to return it, wait for a replacement, etc). 

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #761 of 1,697

Thanks. I don't have those iPhones adapters...
I will try with to buy this (Type-C OTG to USB 3.0) adapter today and If I get it by tomorrow I'll try to use my phone (Nexus 5X) with it. 

The reason I suggest trying it on an iPhone is that people tend to automatically blame the Android device, and often won't believe you until you provide the iOS counterpoint, even if you've pointed out that all your other DACs work fine on all your Android devices. If you want to save time, you'll get a friend/colleague with an iOS device and CCK to let you spend five minutes testing.

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #762 of 1,697
I just got mine from schiit eu as well. Love it but don't have set up to try on android apple. I'd imagine these are fixed unit as guessing they are not from the first batch. However id like to know as don't want an issue with resale

Just found a cable that allowed me to try on windows phone, andriod and ipad. and I get nothing from it. Might just be the cable but I've contact Schiit usa to check that the shipment sent to Eu was the newer fixed batch before I start buying other cables.

Edit: just got a call from Mark at Schiit EU who is such a great chap and a pleasure to talk to! and he's confirmed that not only this batch but the previous one he had all had that chip install which was missing on some early units. So the problem isn't there.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #763 of 1,697
Not sure what content you are talking about but i cannot pass 3/4. I also found i had to turn the pot alot before reaching loud volume but 3/4 ( 3 oclock ) is loud enought. I also have the dt990 pro 250ohm

Some movies and video games, rock music.  I guess I like it louder than you.  I wouldn't constantly want it at max volume, but there are certain scenarios where I would have turned it up higher.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #764 of 1,697
"An easy way to check is to connect the Fulla 2 to a computer after connecting the external power input and see what the computer shows as required power for the Fulla 2, if it reads other than 0mA you have the missing part.
  Nick T
Schiit Tech"

How do you check the power thing?

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #765 of 1,697
question: i have this Aukey quickcharge external battery pack which supposedly puts out 2.4A. if i connect it to the fulla 2, then connect to my computer via USB, the sound plays just fine. however, if i connect it to my phone (Galaxy S7), it lets me switch to USB audio out, but it sounds like a tape player dying (really low, dragging voices, etc). if i connect the fulla 2 to a wall plug, then connect to my S7, it works fine. i'm trying to eliminate the problem here but it's a little muddy, since it works with the PC+battery pack but not S7+battery pack, but S7+wall works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back