Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #736 of 1,697
I did the loosen the case screws and then plug in USB cables and re-tighten procedure last night.  Super easy and alleviated the problem with the tight fit.  I get it that people want this to happen at the factory but given that it's a hand assembled product I can understand some slight variances in tolerance.

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #737 of 1,697
  So I'm looking to get the Apple CCK cable to connect the Fulla 2 to my Iphone 6. The following cable is the correct one, right? http://a.co/5AfBzhd

Yup.  That one should work.  There have been a few folks on other products that needed this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-To-Usb-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1484162851&sr=1-2&keywords=apple+camera+connection+kit

But I would start with the one you have linked there.

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #738 of 1,697

Yup.  That one should work.  There have been a few folks on other products that needed this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-To-Usb-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1484162851&sr=1-2&keywords=apple+camera+connection+kit

But I would start with the one you have linked there.

What's the difference between the two? Why have people needed the other one that you linked  to? 

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #739 of 1,697
  What's the difference between the two? Why have people needed the other one that you linked  to? 

The difference is that the 2nd one accepts power and that it's the latest version as far as I can tell.  I haven't seen the need for the Fulla 2 just that others have had better success with other devices with that later version.  The power trick with the Fulla 2 may be the reason I haven't seen that expressed in this thread but I'm not certain.  If you want to use your iOS device all day with the Fulla 2 you may want to consider the larger, more expensive version because it seems you can charge your phone at the same time the Fulla 2 is connected.

Here's a quote from the reviews on amazon in regards to the Dragonfly which does not have the power reporting system used by the Fulla 2:

If you want to use an external DAC with your iPhone 7, you will almost certainly need one of these adapters. Unfortunately, the USB Camera Adapter 2.0 had some issues with certain external DACs, namely the Audioquest Dragonfly Red. With the 2.0 there were annoying cracks and pops after about an hour of listening. I can happily report that the new 3.0 adapter works perfectly with no audio issues at all.

The 3.0 adapter has the added ability to charge with the additional Lightning port while using the USB port. This solves a big problem with external DACs that use a lot of power. Now I can put my 100+GB of storage to good use with plenty of High Res music.

While I would give it 5 stars for functionality, I can't ignore the fact that this thing is relatively huge. It also has twice the wires running through the cable so it's pretty thick and stiff. Fortunately I will only use this at home where it does not matter, but I would hate to carry this in my pocket with the iPhone. Also, c'mon Apple, $39? $20 would be reasonable.

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #740 of 1,697
  So I'm looking to get the Apple CCK cable to connect the Fulla 2 to my Iphone 6. The following cable is the correct one, right? http://a.co/5AfBzhd

Isn't that for reading SD cards?

If so, I don't see how it would connect to a Fulla 2.  NVM, got better look at it.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #741 of 1,697
I have been listening the Fulla 2 for 12 days now. From day 1 there is a loud scratchy sound every time I turn the volume pot on the Fulla 2. Its more noticeable on the Left Channel. I can hear it on my HE-400i and X2 even on the line out using Mackie Cr4s monitors. Is this normal? Do I have to use windows volume control and leave the fulla 2 on a fixed volume? I contacted Schiit tech support and the tech said its normal with the Fulla 2. Is this also normal on the Jotunheim? I was planning to buy it later on, but if thats the case then I don't know. I never had an amp or dac before and I am really concerned about this issue, it doesn't sound logical to me. I mostly listened to acoustics and classical music and its definitely noticeable with this kind of music.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #742 of 1,697
  ...there is a loud scratchy sound every time I turn the volume pot on the Fulla 2...
...I contacted Schiit tech support and the tech said its normal with the Fulla 2. Is this also normal on the Jotunheim?

It's hard to believe that's normal. Regarding the Jotunheim, there is no noise on mine when turning the volume control knob. I'd be pretty upset if that were the case.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #743 of 1,697
  It's hard to believe that's normal. Regarding the Jotunheim, there is no noise on mine when turning the volume control knob. I'd be pretty upset if that were the case.

I thought so. I don't know why they wanted me to believe its normal. I'll exchange it. From reading previous posts they will charge me the 15% re-stocking fee since I'll be returning "a good unit", but there is nothing else I can do. I can't stand that noise, especially just on one Channel. Thanks for your reply, it was helpful!!!

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #744 of 1,697
  I have been listening the Fulla 2 for 12 days now. From day 1 there is a loud scratchy sound every time I turn the volume pot on the Fulla 2. Its more noticeable on the Left Channel. I can hear it on my HE-400i and X2 even on the line out using Mackie Cr4s monitors. Is this normal? Do I have to use windows volume control and leave the fulla 2 on a fixed volume? I contacted Schiit tech support and the tech said its normal with the Fulla 2. Is this also normal on the Jotunheim? I was planning to buy it later on, but if thats the case then I don't know. I never had an amp or dac before and I am really concerned about this issue, it doesn't sound logical to me. I mostly listened to acoustics and classical music and its definitely noticeable with this kind of music.

I'm also using X2s with the Fulla 2 and I don't notice any sound at all when I turn the volume knob, with or without any sound input. So this sounds like a fault with your Fulla. As for the other QC problems noted frequently here and in other forums, luckily my volume knob is only very slightly misaligned (I would never have noticed if I had not been alerted to this fault and looked for it) and my USB inputs are a bit tight, but it's not a major problem and I have not had to resort to playing with the case. Very lucky, since I switch the USB inputs several times a day as I move the Fulla 2 from my laptop (where I use a single connection with the supplied cable to the data USB) to my TV, where I use a phone charger to the power only USB; I'm feeding the amp through the 3.5mm line input from the RCA jacks on my TV.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #745 of 1,697

Not normal.  That one should be returned, with an explanation email.  (Get whatever RMA you need, first.)

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #746 of 1,697
  I'm also using X2s with the Fulla 2 and I don't notice any sound at all when I turn the volume knob, with or without any sound input.

Well, the scratchy noise is there with the slightest turn on the knob on my Fulla 2, with or without sound. I guess its a faulty unit. I have to admit the volume on mine looks aligned. I love the sound of the Fulla 2 I am very disappointed I got a bad Fulla.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #747 of 1,697
  Well, the scratchy noise is there with the slightest turn on the knob on my Fulla 2, with or without sound. I guess its a faulty unit. I have to admit the volume on mine looks aligned. I love the sound of the Fulla 2 I am very disappointed I got a bad Fulla.

Yeah, mine is absolutely dead silent - I have to admit the silky smooth massive volume knob is a part of why I like the Fulla2 since it sits on my desk at work, and I listen to very wide variety of music so I end up needing / wanting to turn it all the time.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #748 of 1,697
My Knob was a little scratchy and it started getting better. I was a dummy and accidentally dropped the fulla while putting it in my backpack it and it has been dead silent since. I find the scratchy Knob odd since it is the same Knob used in the Magni 2's and Vali 2's I believe. I have Both and never had an issue. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #749 of 1,697
  Anyone know if you can somehow plug this into an Xbox One and get audio out of it?

Tried both side and rear USB Ports, the unit gets power but no sound.   I've actually been using the analog out from the controller into the Fulla 2 to power my HD 580's and the sound is surprisingly good.  Gonna get a unit with Optical inputs to see just how much difference there actually is

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #750 of 1,697
Tried both side and rear USB Ports, the unit gets power but no sound.   I've actually been using the analog out from the controller into the Fulla 2 to power my HD 580's and the sound is surprisingly good.  Gonna get a unit with Optical inputs to see just how much difference there actually is

My assumption was that usb on the XBOne is for data, not audio. The way to get digital audio out of the XBOne is to use optical out, which is the excuse to buy Modi uber or Modi multibit. That's my justification for a future purchase, anyway :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back