Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #721 of 1,697
Any Fulla 2 owners have any experience with the CEntrance DACport HD? Someone please convince me that I don't need yet another portable DAC/Amp combo for my laptop. :p

Here: the dacport is portable. The file to is only transportable.

Is there anything you don't like about the Dacport HD?

Don't expect anything more in terms of audio. Only look for the features. If you list things out, maybe people here can help you out with finding what you need/don't need.

Some subjective reports claim the DF red sounds worse than the Dacport HD. That's subjective and you may like what others hate. Maybe you can find people in the DF thread that switched from Dacport to DF. Objective measurements chain the Dragonfly clips a bit at FS 0db, but the Dacport does not.

Someone subjectively claimed that s/he likes the Dragonfly more than the Fulla 2. Again, subjective, but maybe you can find the person and try to learn what the differences in sound is and help yourself judge.

The only issue with the Dacport for me is that it's drivers aren't perfect, though I've kinda have it figured out by now (unplug/replug after waking up certain courts from sleep) and the high noise floor. CEntrance chains that they lowered the noise floor now on the HD. Have yet to hear from anyone who can confirm this. Not sure if the noise is noticable on yours. The Fulla only has very few reports on the noise floor bugging the users.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #722 of 1,697
Someone subjectively claimed that s/he likes the Dragonfly more than the Fulla 2. Again, subjective, but maybe you can find the person and try to learn what the differences in sound is and help yourself judge.

I returned the Fulla 2 as I prefered DF Black to it that I already had. Both priced the same. The huge advantage of Fulla 2 to Dragonfly is volume control. The reason why I prefered DF Black is the sound. It simply has better lows and high and sounds more natural and less processed. To me. I just could not stand the highly processed - in my opinion - sound of Fulla 2 and prefered DF Black. I done many A/B tests and really wanted to keep Fulla 2 due to its convenience in the form factor, but could not get over it shortcomings. Also I was unhappy with the build quality.

Dragonfly Black is a perfect tiny thing which is a joy to hold and use. The light is a nice. There is USB port and headphone port. Both work. Fulla 2 I had was crudely assembled and designed. I could not use the cables to connect my monitors as apparently based on the response I got here from Schiit guys it was designed to be used with cheap Monoprice cables...

It is possible that the unit I had was defective or sounded off. I am just surprised that so many others praise it so high and what I had was not that impressive...

Lots of potential, but the execution (to me) for now leaves a lot to be desired.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #723 of 1,697
I returned the Fulla 2 as I prefered DF Black to it that I already had. Both priced the same. The huge advantage of Fulla 2 to Dragonfly is volume control. The reason why I prefered DF Black is the sound. It simply has better lows and high and sounds more natural and less processed. To me. I just could not stand the highly processed - in my opinion - sound of Fulla 2 and prefered DF Black. I done many A/B tests and really wanted to keep Fulla 2 due to its convenience in the form factor, but could not get over it shortcomings. Also I was unhappy with the build quality.

Dragonfly Black is a perfect tiny thing which is a joy to hold and use. The light is a nice. There is USB port and headphone port. Both work. Fulla 2 I had was crudely assembled and designed. I could not use the cables to connect my monitors as apparently based on the response I got here from Schiit guys it was designed to be used with cheap Monoprice cables...

It is possible that the unit I had was defective or sounded off. I am just surprised that so many others praise it so high and what I had was not that impressive...

Lots of potential, but the execution (to me) for now leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes, although I never liked the DF series over the Dacport due to its lack of a volume knob, the product really is well made and has a nice premium feel to it.

Everyone likes different things and have different priorities. I have a bit of a complaint with the Dacport Slim and HD due to their high noise floor, as I see many products with a similar price that does not have that static. It is also quite audible with sensitive IEMs, something I noticed immediately once I switched to them. Funny as the Dacport is advertised to be perfect for the Shure SE846. I have a hard time understanding why other people can ignore such an obvious issue as well and praise so many other things in reviews, many of which are still in debate if it's even audible. The noise floor is without a doubt noticable for all people with sensitive IEMs, and I also wonder how can people praise such a product with such obvious audible flaw. It's not on the to of my blacklist, but it should at least be mentioned rather than praising a device you be the be perfect thing so potential buyers can at least know what they are spending their money on.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #724 of 1,697
Well, I guess that settles it. I'm good with my Dacport Slim for now. I didn't notice that it has a particularly high noise floor but I haven't yet tried it with any of the sensitive BA IEMs I own. The Schiit Fulla 2 is appealing because of its easier connection to iDevices and Android devices with a battery pack. To get the same result with the DACport, I have to throw a non-powered USB hub into the mix and connect the battery pack and my iPhone through that. Nothing against Schiit though, guess I'll keep on saving to add a Jotunheim or maybe even a Lyr 2 to my Modi Multibit in the future.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #725 of 1,697
  Well, I guess that settles it. I'm good with my Dacport Slim for now. I didn't notice that it has a particularly high noise floor but I haven't yet tried it with any of the sensitive BA IEMs I own. The Schiit Fulla 2 is appealing because of its easier connection to iDevices and Android devices with a battery pack. To get the same result with the DACport, I have to throw a non-powered USB hub into the mix and connect the battery pack and my iPhone through that. Nothing against Schiit though, guess I'll keep on saving to add a Jotunheim or maybe even a Lyr 2 to my Modi Multibit in the future.

How does Multibit compare to your Dacport?

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #727 of 1,697
I'm curious to hear if anyone can compare the Multibit with the Chord Mojo?
They both seem like innovative and excellent products.
I have no idea what multibit actually means or offers, but from the description on Chord's website, it sounds exciting.
If anyone can explain it/the benefits/drawbacks to me in, ahem, Layman's terms, I'd be most obliged
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #728 of 1,697
Give me a couple weeks and I might pick up a Fulla 2 + Magni 2. Then I can do some serious a/b testing between the Fulla 2, Slim, and HD.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #729 of 1,697

How does Multibit compare to your Dacport?

I haven't listened to the DACport through any of my amps purely as a DAC, as its power output is enough for the headphones I use with it. Apparently turning the volume all they way up is equivalent to a line-level output so I'll have to give it a try soon.

Subjective listening impressions between the Mimby/Element and DACport by itself favor the Mimby/Element combo. The Mimby is quite transparent and resolving as a DAC where I would characterize the DACport as a bit smoother in its delivery. They're not night and day differences but I can safely say the Mimby is the better of the two, but I'll have to see how the DACport fares amped.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #730 of 1,697
  I'm curious to hear if anyone can compare the Multibit with the Chord Mojo?
They both seem like innovative and excellent products.
I have no idea what multibit actually means or offers, but from the description on Chord's website, it sounds exciting.
If anyone can explain it/the benefits/drawbacks to me in, ahem, Layman's terms, I'd be most obliged
beerchug.gif

Without getting into the internal workings, for a layman, I'd say this:

Multibit DACs have more room for innovation on the digital side than off-the-shelf integrated circuit (IC) Delta-Sigma (DS) DACs. If the designer is competent, they can make a product that is more differentiated and less "me too" that a typical IC DS DAC, including custom filters.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #731 of 1,697

Without getting into the internal workings, for a layman, I'd say this:

Multibit DACs have more room for innovation on the digital side than off-the-shelf integrated circuit (IC) Delta-Sigma (DS) DACs. If the designer is competent, they can make a product that is more differentiated and less "me too" that a typical IC DS DAC, including custom filters.

Thank you! Interesting answer..
I was reading about FPGA chips after thinking about the Mojo; not to muddy the waters of the discussion, but it seems they also offer a similar advantage of customisability?

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #732 of 1,697

Thank you! Interesting answer..
I was reading about FPGA chips after thinking about the Mojo; not to muddy the waters of the discussion, but it seems they also offer a similar advantage of customisability?

I would agree.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #733 of 1,697
Received my Fulla 2 on Monday. First off, I am extremely inexperienced with audio equipment as this is my first DAC or AMP and I just got the 598 Cs, which I know don't even really need this. Anyways, it works as advertised and I have it sitting on my desk plugged into my Promedia 2.1 in the line-out in the back (with volume control). This will replace my aging X-Fi soundcard and so far so good. Windows 10 recognized USB immediately and I've had no issues. However, as people have noted in this thread, the USB ports in the back are indeed tight, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with the included cable or a longer spare I had lying around. Also as noted in this thread, the volume knob is not aligned at all. Looking from the top down you can see the knob is set to the left, so there is a larger gap on the right side, and then looking at the unit from the front it's leaning down and towards the left. Not a huge deal as I still feel like this is a very good deal for what you get, but it would have been nice for this to be aligned, especially with my minor OCD. Oh and why would they put 3 feet on the bottom? Would it really be that much more cost to add one extra to actually make it stable? Seems like they still have some QC issues or this is where they cut the costs. Oh well. Sorry I have no real opinions on the quality of the sound itself other than it sounds good to me.

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #734 of 1,697
  Received my Fulla 2 on Monday. First off, I am extremely inexperienced with audio equipment as this is my first DAC or AMP and I just got the 598 Cs, which I know don't even really need this. Anyways, it works as advertised and I have it sitting on my desk plugged into my Promedia 2.1 in the line-out in the back (with volume control). This will replace my aging X-Fi soundcard and so far so good. Windows 10 recognized USB immediately and I've had no issues. However, as people have noted in this thread, the USB ports in the back are indeed tight, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with the included cable or a longer spare I had lying around. Also as noted in this thread, the volume knob is not aligned at all. Looking from the top down you can see the knob is set to the left, so there is a larger gap on the right side, and then looking at the unit from the front it's leaning down and towards the left. Not a huge deal as I still feel like this is a very good deal for what you get, but it would have been nice for this to be aligned, especially with my minor OCD. Oh and why would they put 3 feet on the bottom? Would it really be that much more cost to add one extra to actually make it stable? Seems like they still have some QC issues or this is where they cut the costs. Oh well. Sorry I have no real opinions on the quality of the sound itself other than it sounds good to me.

Му "minor OCD" could not handle it. I know some will say that it really does not matter as long as it sounds good. Not me. Putting aside my personal issues with the sound the build subpar quality is hard for me to handle... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back