Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #691 of 1,697
Hello everyone , Received my fulla 2 today I have it paired with a new set of HD700's wifey got me for Christmas . I'm a total newb to open backs and I'm still learning about impedances and other things . I'm using my fulla 2 with an iPad Air 2 volume at 100% ,with usb3 Apple cable powered with a ravpower brick . I like to listen to my music fairly loud and I'm finding myself turning the fulla2 to about 2/3 o'clock to get to a loud enough listening level that I'm ok with , this sound about right to any of you ? I'll be looking to upgrade the amp in the future but for $99 I'm extremely happy .

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #692 of 1,697
Hello everyone , Received my fulla 2 today I have it paired with a new set of HD700's wifey got me for Christmas . I'm a total newb to open backs and I'm still learning about impedances and other things . I'm using my fulla 2 with an iPad Air 2 volume at 100% ,with usb3 Apple cable powered with a ravpower brick . I like to listen to my music fairly loud and I'm finding myself turning the fulla2 to about 2/3 o'clock to get to a loud enough listening level that I'm ok with , this sound about right to any of you ? I'll be looking to upgrade the amp in the future but for $99 I'm extremely happy .

On my HD580's I can get to the 2/3 volume if I'm not careful but it's super loud and I know if I keep it that way for long there will be ringing the next AM.  The HD700's are slightly more sensitive and half the impedance so I'm surprised you're getting above 12 o'clock.  

I'm not sure about the RAV power brick.  Does this mean you're using a digital connection to the iPad?

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #694 of 1,697

do you have the receipt for the HD700? I'd look into replacing them before worrying about Fulla. The HD6x0 series is much more musical, and of course HD800 is exceptional.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #695 of 1,697
Hi Guys,

ordered my Fulla 2 this night 
cool.gif

Got a question: I would like to listen to music and movies with my family and I wish Fulla 2 supports headphone out with three or four!(4) K712, K702, K702 etc. Does this work well?
We already have two Headphones at my MacBook Pro.

Thx for support :)

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #696 of 1,697
do you have the receipt for the HD700? I'd look into replacing them before worrying about Fulla. The HD6x0 series is much more musical, and of course HD800 is exceptional.

Lol I'm sure my wife does , but I happen to like them . I've tried my friends 600's I liked them but I gave the edge to 700 due to comfort . There not nearly as bad I thought they would be from some of the posts I've read on here , I do plan on getting some 650's in the future but I wanna make sure I have a decent amp first to pair with the fulla 2's dac .

He's probably doing something like this:

Underneath the Fulla 2 is a portable charger/battery plugged into the power port of the Fulla 2...

Yup that's how I got mine hooked up also :)

On my HD580's I can get to the 2/3 volume if I'm not careful but it's super loud and I know if I keep it that way for long there will be ringing the next AM.  The HD700's are slightly more sensitive and half the impedance so I'm surprised you're getting above 12 o'clock.  

I'm not sure about the RAV power brick.  Does this mean you're using a digital connection to the iPad?

I was listening to my cans with the wife and kids flapping there gums and watching tv in the living room , so maybe I was compensating by turning the volume up . Tonight I'll get to try them with some peace & quiet around me and I'll report back :wink:

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #697 of 1,697
  Hi Guys,

cool.gif

Got a question: I would like to listen to music and movies with my family and I wish Fulla 2 supports headphone out with three or four!(4) K712, K702, K702 etc. Does this work well?

4 people...wouldn't it just be easier to use speakers?

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #699 of 1,697
Here's my impressions thus far on the Fulla 2, compared to my onboard sound and Denon AVR-X2000 HP port with HD598's.  I've done all my testing with Blu-Ray movies and PC games, since that is my primary usage.  I ordered a set of DT990's to try with the F2, but based on responses in this thread i'm not hopeful.  I'll update if I'm pleasantly surprised.

My initial impression of the F2 was that there was an extra level of clarity over both my mobo sound and receiver in comparison.  The more I listen though, the extra detail was just due to lower output from the F2 on the lower end.  The onboard card on my mobo doesn't have a great amp, and uses the Realtek ALC898 codec.  I prefer the onboard sound to that of the F2 due to it being much fuller down low, while still maintaining detail on the high end.  If I had to make a choice between the two, I would still choose the F2 as it has a higher volume threshold.  There are times when I would like a little more volume compared to what my onboard can provide.

Plugged into the receiver is a similar situation to the above.  The sound is fuller than the F2, and I have plenty of volume headroom.  So the receiver wins hands down here for my use.  I don't know what the impedance of the HP port on my receiver is, but I assumed it wasn't really intended for frequent HP use.  I would have bet money that the F2 was going to come on top of this comparison, but that wasn't the case.

So where does that leave me with the Fulla?  I'm torn to be honest.  It doesn't sound as good as my other options in the physical space it would be used at home, so I won't use it there.  I would consider it as a mobile option for travel and work, but the USB ports are so tight I don't want to use it unless i'm plugging it in and leaving it in place.  Like tight enough it feels like I might snap the end of the cable off while plugging in.  I've seen where there is potentially a way to adjust those myself, but i'm not keen on doing that.  I think the F2 will be a great option for some people, just not me.  I'd have to put extra feet on the bottom of this thing to balance it also.  It is incredibly annoying to have it rocking back and forth.

I've heard all the great things about Shiit as a company and this is my first purchase from them.  I can say I was impressed by their representation early in the thread regarding their recognition of the iOS issues and its resolution.  On the flip side, their more recent representation in this thread is horrendous in my opinion.  

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #701 of 1,697
  Here's my impressions thus far on the Fulla 2, compared to my onboard sound and Denon AVR-X2000 HP port with HD598's.  I've done all my testing with Blu-Ray movies and PC games, since that is my primary usage.  I ordered a set of DT990's to try with the F2, but based on responses in this thread i'm not hopeful.  I'll update if I'm pleasantly surprised.

My initial impression of the F2 was that there was an extra level of clarity over both my mobo sound and receiver in comparison.  The more I listen though, the extra detail was just due to lower output from the F2 on the lower end.  The onboard card on my mobo doesn't have a great amp, and uses the Realtek ALC898 codec.  I prefer the onboard sound to that of the F2 due to it being much fuller down low, while still maintaining detail on the high end.  If I had to make a choice between the two, I would still choose the F2 as it has a higher volume threshold.  There are times when I would like a little more volume compared to what my onboard can provide.

Plugged into the receiver is a similar situation to the above.  The sound is fuller than the F2, and I have plenty of volume headroom.  So the receiver wins hands down here for my use.  I don't know what the impedance of the HP port on my receiver is, but I assumed it wasn't really intended for frequent HP use.  I would have bet money that the F2 was going to come on top of this comparison, but that wasn't the case.

So where does that leave me with the Fulla?  I'm torn to be honest.  It doesn't sound as good as my other options in the physical space it would be used at home, so I won't use it there.  I would consider it as a mobile option for travel and work, but the USB ports are so tight I don't want to use it unless i'm plugging it in and leaving it in place.  Like tight enough it feels like I might snap the end of the cable off while plugging in.  I've seen where there is potentially a way to adjust those myself, but i'm not keen on doing that.  I think the F2 will be a great option for some people, just not me.  I'd have to put extra feet on the bottom of this thing to balance it also.  It is incredibly annoying to have it rocking back and forth.

I've heard all the great things about Shiit as a company and this is my first purchase from them.  I can say I was impressed by their representation early in the thread regarding their recognition of the iOS issues and its resolution.  On the flip side, their more recent representation in this thread is horrendous in my opinion.  

I was one of the first to get Fulla 2. Found quality of the sound relatively subpar to my other similar priced DAC/AMP (Dragonfly Black). Not bad at all. If I did not have Dragonfly I would probably be happy with it, but in comparison it is just slightly off with highs, lows and soundstage on quality cans. Quality of the build was very disappointing. After stating my opinion here I was appalled by the tone of the response from one of the Schiit guys here. So I am totally with you on this.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #702 of 1,697
  Hi Guys,

cool.gif

Have you considered something slightly more hefty, like this?

http://www.ebay.com/p/Rane-HC6-Six-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/1100594572

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #704 of 1,697
  I wish Fulla 2 supports headphone out with three or four!(4) K712, K702, K702 etc. Does this work well?

You'd really want to give each person their own volume control.
There are lots of multi-channel headphone amps on the market, just search: https://www.google.com/search?q=4+channel+headphone+amp
However, they won't come with integrated DAC.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #705 of 1,697

I bought my Fulla 2 2nd hand and I'm still waiting on the shipping so cant directly talk it, but I think I can explain your experience.. 
The HD598, being low impedance & having High impedance spike at the low end just sounds different while being plugged to high output impedance source, Note that I say different and not better or worse.

I bought some time ago a HIFImeDIY Sabre 9018 to connect my monitors, but I also played with it powering my HD598 and SRH440, and the the first thing I noticed was a sudden lack of "umph" in the low end with the 598's, but really after I used the 598's more and more on the sabre 9018 I realized, the "bass" when connected to the on-board audio (in my case a VIA 2021) is not "nice bass" its just muddy pile of noise, a result of high output impedance that is usual with on-board sound, and the same with receivers without dedicated headphone amp, where they just run the speaker output through some resistors so your headphones will not explode.. while on the HifimeDIY 9018 the output impedance is decently low at 0.5Ohm, and as a result the 598's sound as they should, bass light and detailed, so in reality the somewhat muddy bass is just a result of high output impedance, and what might gave them the "fuller sound" you experienced. but that's not the fulla's fault, that's just how they were designed to sound, without much bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back