Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #556 of 1,697
Top page, replied to this:

Anyone using this on their PC notice some sound pops? When I turn on my PC, I hear one loud pop through my headphones, then when it hits the windows loading screen, I hear another pop again in my headphones. I can reproduce it and it happens every time. Is this normal?

Quote:
Same pop here

Ok, so I'm not crazy! Quite disappointing when you spend $110. I also get the pop when the washing machine kicks on. Reminds me of the old shoddy speakers I use to have on my first PC, they would pop when you turned on certain appliances. Would figure a company selling high quality audio equipment wouldn't have this type of issue. 
mad.gif

And I just noticed I have the off center knob shown in the recent images on the top right, lol. Mine isn't that bad, but I can still see it's not properly centered.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #558 of 1,697
Ok, so I'm not crazy! Quite disappointing when you spend $110. I also get the pop when the washing machine kicks on. Reminds me of the old shoddy speakers I use to have on my first PC, they would pop when you turned on certain appliances. Would figure a company selling high quality audio equipment wouldn't have this type of issue. :mad:  

And I just noticed I have the off center knob shown in the recent images on the top right, lol. Mine isn't that bad, but I can still see it's not properly centered.

I have to admit it dsnt bother me. Even the pot doing some noise ( really low background noise when music is off ). The sound isreally good compared to my onboard when i use it with my iphone 6s oem Iems. I just need to find a good headphone for it. These dt990 pro are not the best. No bass

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #559 of 1,697
  To be fair, please don't forget that we're talking about a $100 trade-of-all-jacks entry DAC/Amp combo.

What's your point? I have a cheap $200 netbook with on-board audio that doesn't make any popping noises at all. This type of issue shouldn't be present on a high quality audio product, IMO. Especially when the product page is bragging about "Top-Shelf Components".
I have to admit it dsnt bother me. Even the pot doing some noise ( really low background noise when music is off ). The sound isreally good compared to my onboard when i use it with my iphone 6s oem Iems. I just need to find a good headphone for it. These dt990 pro are not the best. No bass

Yeah, it's rather mundane, as it's during startup, but when it happens when the washer/dryer kick on while listening to music, it sucks. Not too happy to be honest.

I also have zero background noise on mine. I don't think I would keep mine if it had bg noise.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #560 of 1,697
  Anyone using this on their PC notice some sound pops? When I turn on my PC, I hear one loud pop through my headphones, then when it hits the windows loading screen, I hear another pop again in my headphones. I can reproduce it and it happens every time. Is this normal?

Mine doesn't do that, but I use it with a Mac which doesn't have all those Windows USB drivers issues that PCs have.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #561 of 1,697
What's your point? I have a cheap $200 netbook with on-board audio that doesn't make any popping noises at all. This type of issue shouldn't be present on a high quality audio product, IMO. Especially when the product page is bragging about "Top-Shelf Components".
Yeah, it's rather mundane, as it's during startup, but when it happens when the washer/dryer kick on while listening to music, it sucks. Not too happy to be honest.

I also have zero background noise on mine. I don't think I would keep mine if it had bg noise.

The noise is there only when u turn the Pot with no music playing.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #562 of 1,697
The noise is there only when u turn the Pot with no music playing.

Just tried it here on mine and can't recreate it. Maybe I got lucky, but mine is dead silent when turning the knob.

The guy on the previous page complaining about not getting a proper refund was complaining of a similar issue that you're describing. Apparently you won't get a full refund if you send it back for that! Doesn't look good on their part, as to me, that sounds like a faulty product. You don't take money away from a refund because you sold a faulty product. That is incredibly shady.

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #564 of 1,697
To be fair, please don't forget that we're talking about a $100 trade-of-all-jacks entry DAC/Amp combo.

That's 11 hours of work for me. Yeah it might be cheap relative to other audio components out there but for some of us it's still a ton of money.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #565 of 1,697
The point is, in the audio world, and at such a low relative price point of $100, you have to make compromises somewhere. Be it sonically or physically, quality has to be cut somewhere. In the case of Fulla 2, compromises were made to put an AKM4490 and an amp capable of producing 550mW at 16ohm into a package that is quite literally, half the size of the Modi or Mangi.

Keep in mind, Schiit is here to turn profit just like any other company in the world. The fact that they can pack so much sonic quality into a tiny footprint at $100 is pretty impressive imho. It's also worth noting that products like Fulla aren't even meant on turning a huge profit. They give you an entry to what audio can be, and lead to on to the bigger purchases. On top of that, a slightly crooked volume knob, or a knob that makes a little noise doesn't change the listening experience for many of us. If it does for you, you can send it back and get a partial refund. Its a byproduct of the cheaper construction and phenomenal sonic quality at $100, not a "faulty" product.  

TL;DR If you want a product that sounds worse, but has high physical quality, other products exist. If the "issues" make the device "unusable", send it back and get a refund. If its a "Real" issue, you'll get all your money back.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #566 of 1,697
Any of u guys have good headphone recommendation for the fulla2 ? looking for a good controlled bass ... resonable soundstage. mid can be recessed a bit . mainly play computer game and listening to pop/hiphop/edm  well anything , but not much rock/metal ..

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #568 of 1,697
Nope, Partial refund. Schiit charges a restock fee (at their descretion). When i requested a full refund for my unit i was told pretty matter of factly that they'll determine if the restocking fee will be waived.

Also, apparently customers are expected to eat the return shipping costs, so factor that in.

Challenges of Cheap Products and Product Returns (2)

I am sure that few of our clients ever ponder our costs to process a return. I seldom do when returning something to Amazon, although an overwhelming percentage of what I do return is defective. This is because I understand exactly what I return for any purpose other than broken does nothing other than raise everybody's selling price. Why is that? As a customer, you are entitled to a unit which should adhere to certain standards. It should be new. It should not be repacked. Consider what happens when we get a return – it is no longer new. In fact, it is not even qualified for us to resell until it has been re-evaluated, re-tested, and repackaged as qualified B-Stock, possibly with some parts replaced. So we have a new unit which we sell for say, a hundred bucks, spend 5 bucks or so on original shipping, 15-20 bucks or so on rework including replacement parts, and then we still have to sell it as discounted B-stock. Ah, but we have the balls to charge 15 bucks for a non-defective return plus customer pays return shipping? Huh?

Well the ethics are that if the product is really defective, we messed up and its on us. If it isn't, then you are using us as a lending library. Now in the first place, we have no lending library margins built in our products. When someone returns any, and particularly a lower priced Schiit product, we just lost almost if not all profit we ever had on the thing. Sellers with liberal return policies generally charge more because, well, liberal return policies cost more. Now are we at Schiit accounting type corporate pigs? I don't think so, but if we don't end up with at least a break even, then we have no reason to keep doing what we do.

As we grow, we pick up more and more new users who expect liberal return policies. There are a surprising high percentage of users who return things over and over again, just to try them out. We had one person who ordered and returned two thirds of everything we build. Never kept anything. They only raise raise prices, and there are way too many of them lurking out there. They have every story in the book on why our product is defective. These types are a much higher percentage of orders than you might think.

So who pays for product returns? If defective, us – period. If lending library, the trial returner - hence restocking charges. The users who kept their units get subsidized. We could raise our prices 10-15% and cover the lending library returners. Do you want us to do that? I didn't think so.

Ah, but you say, there are no local places for me to audition your stuff. No local meets? What about dealers? Yeah, and then your price just went up 100%. We won't be having our clients subsidizing our dealers by paying double the price. Nor will we have our normal users be subsidizing our lending library . If you are not sure which one of our products you want, talk to us. We may be able to help you out. If you are not sure if you want our product vs. The Fully Swollen Chingon, go to shows, local meets, talk to people. Our mission is always to have the lowest prices possible.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 31, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #569 of 1,697
I get the cost for some in substantial but If the Budget New gear is not your flavor and budget constraints prevent you from going up to better new products, a scenario that many of us including myself had to deal with at one point in time or the other , Then you hit the second hand Market for used but "higher end gear" At that point you get to deal with the scratches and dings and possibly the fur of their cats inside their enclosures. The Draw to Schiit is not in the fancy paint and milled billet aluminum or how many buttons and the size of the LCD screens but whats under the hood. At the end of the Day How does your music sound?

Quote:

Ok, so I'm not crazy! Quite disappointing when you spend $110. I also get the pop when the washing machine kicks on. Reminds me of the old shoddy speakers I use to have on my first PC, they would pop when you turned on certain appliances. Would figure a company selling high quality audio equipment wouldn't have this type of issue. 
mad.gif

Popping When your PC is Booting has nothing to do with the function of the Fulla 2. It is not creating it. That is the output from your Computer Sending that Pop through the USB Port possibly as the driver loads and it comes online. The fulla 2 or any other DAC/Amp's Job is taking an input processing it and then outputting it. If the input is a Pop... Guess what.  POP!  USB was not and is still not an exclusive audio bus but it is the Most convenient which is why it is popular however it is far from Ideal and Implementations vary from each iteration of motherboard.  Popping When Appliances Turn on is also not a fault of your shoddy old speakers, That is what happens when your audio gear shares power lines with everything else in you house. Speakers do Nothing without a signal applied to it input again if it said signal is a Pop, then it will Pop.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #570 of 1,697
Get a wryd!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back