Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #361 of 1,697
The fulla 2 can draw full power from my phone, I don't think it matters which player I'm using, but the only ones that can play audio without sounding garbled are usb audio player pro and Samsung music. Neutron, play music, and rocket player didn't work.

I tried again, making sure to plug in Fulla 2 to USB power bank first, then connecting Fulla 2 to my S4 using OTG cable.

I'm using the default Samsung music player. When I plugged in, I could hear the brief electrical noise from plugging in, but there is no sound from headphones.

My Fulla 2 is one that Schiit shipped after checking for the missing part from earlier batches.

So, default Samsung music player is not supposed to play sound from Fulla 2?

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #362 of 1,697

​Is your Galaxy S7 still able to power the Fulla 2 if you use the standard music player instead of the USB Audio Player Pro app?

My S7E powers the Fulla 2 and every application works fine, Foobar, Google Play Music, YouTube, TuneIn, Tidal...  My only issue with that setup is interference when receiving calls or texts.  It's great in Airplane mode. {ETA} Mine is an AT&T Snapdragon model FWIW.

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #363 of 1,697

I tried again, making sure to plug in Fulla 2 to USB power bank first, then connecting Fulla 2 to my S4 using OTG cable.

I'm using the default Samsung music player. When I plugged in, I could hear the brief electrical noise from plugging in, but there is no sound from headphones.

My Fulla 2 is one that Schiit shipped after checking for the missing part from earlier batches.

​I also cannot get my Fulla 2 to work with my Android phone (version 4.4.4) but it works fine with my iPhone 5S.

Unfortunately, it's starting to look like it will be a total crapshoot when it comes to getting the Fulla 2 to work with any Android phone.  I can't say that this is a surprise, though. 
redface.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #364 of 1,697

It's suppose to take over all phone audio output as it is suppose to bypass the phone's DAC.

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #365 of 1,697
​I also cannot get my Fulla 2 to work with my Android phone (version 4.4.4) but it works fine with my iPhone 5S.

Unfortunately, it's starting to look like it will be a total crapshoot when it comes to getting the Fulla 2 to work with any Android phone.  I can't say that this is a surprise, though.  :xf_eek:  

USB audio was only officially added to Android in 5.0 (Lollipop). Before that, some manufacturers implemented it and some didn't.

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #366 of 1,697
USB audio was only officially added to Android in 5.0 (Lollipop). Before that, some manufacturers implemented it and some didn't.

My S4 is on Android 5.0.1 and Fulla 2 won't play music through Samsung default music player.

Fulla 2 works great with Windows 10 computer, both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 connections, without requiring separate USB power connection.

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #367 of 1,697

That's right.... and probably why my phone doesn't work with it!
biggrin.gif

My S4 is on Android 5.0.1 and Fulla 2 won't play music through Samsung default music player.

I remember reading somewhere that just updating older phones to Lollipop 5.0 or higher doesn't ensure that they will be able to output a digital audio signal because they may not have the proper hardware that is required for it.   Only phones that shipped with 5.0 or higher will definitely have the required hardware for outputting a digital audio signal.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #368 of 1,697
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 which has been able to work with my USB dacs though.  I would assume the S4, being a generation newer, should work as well.

Bit odd.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #369 of 1,697

Welcome! Nice to see another Linux user. Xubuntu is solid... I ran it as my primary desktop for a few years... You shouldn't have any problems with the Fulla 2! I'm in a similar situation... would love to have open-backs, but my work and home situations are such that I pretty much need closed-backs. Been thrilled with the DT 770s though; can't say how they compare with the HD598Cs...

I'm running Ubuntu/UbuntuMate on an OdroidC2 mostly with Rune or Volumio for audio coming from the HighFi Shield 2 via optical output to Gumby.  I hadn't even thought yet of trying the USB out to Fulla 2.  The optical output gives amazing audio in this dedicated set-up.  It might be kind of interesting to see how good Fulla can sound with a really clean input.  Will report when I get a chance to try it.  

Afterthought:  the boards and 5V supply and memory chip cost less than Fulla 2, the software was free, the sound is amazing.  And Linux is an added plus.  Solid and secure.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #370 of 1,697
I saw that Tech Noob had a Fulla 2 working with the Samsung Galaxy S3.  I have a Galaxy S3 that I use as a streaming source and saw that you've made it work with the Fulla 2. What version of Android are you running?  My S3 is a Verizon version that was never updated to Lollipop, but I could root it to upgrade if the hardware is there to support OTG.  

I just received my Fulla 2 and I had no trouble getting it to work with my LG G4 phone that's running Android Marshmallow.  I first used the phone charger to energize the Fulla 2 before connecting it to the phone's OTG cable.  I pressed "Play" on the Amazon music streamer and there was beautiful clean music instantly coming through my new Fulla 2.  

Now I need to figure out if there's a way to use an equalizer app on the phone when connected via OTG to the Fulla 2 as the one I have is disabled when connected this way.  There are times when I like to make minor tweaks, or a loudness boost when listening at low levels.  

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #371 of 1,697
I saw that Tech Noob had a Fulla 2 working with the Samsung Galaxy S3.  I have a Galaxy S3 that I use as a streaming source and saw that you've made it work with the Fulla 2. What version of Android are you running?  My S3 is a Verizon version that was never updated to Lollipop, but I could root it to upgrade if the hardware is there to support OTG.  

I just received my Fulla 2 and I had no trouble getting it to work with my LG G4 phone that's running Android Marshmallow.  I first used the phone charger to energize the Fulla 2 before connecting it to the phone's OTG cable.  I pressed "Play" on the Amazon music streamer and there was beautiful clean music instantly coming through my new Fulla 2.  

Now I need to figure out if there's a way to use an equalizer app on the phone when connected via OTG to the Fulla 2 as the one I have is disabled when connected this way.  There are times when I like to make minor tweaks, or a loudness boost when listening at low levels.  

My apologies, I don't have the Fulla 2. I tried using OTG with both my Dacports but they both worked fine despite supporting resolutions higher than the Fulla.

My S3 is a T-Mobile variant that's stuck on 4.Something. So I think it should probably work. Mine isn't rooted or anything either. The stock player did just fine.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #372 of 1,697
Great to hear that you got it working.  I'll give my S3 a try next week when the holiday fun tapers off.  I'm still experimenting with the Fulla 2 on my primary phone and my computer.  It's an amazing little device that is noticeably improving the sound coming off of those devices internal DAC/AMPs.  

So did you install USB Audio Pro to utilize their custom driver and support better resolution source files?  
Seems that they take credit for enabling USB to DAC connections (Android Host) even as far back as Android 3.1.  

I'm finding it too much fun re-discovering music in better fidelity.  Hard to keep concentrating, esp. at this hour.  :wink: 

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #373 of 1,697
For a PC, would I be better off going with this (the Fulla 2) or a Soundblaster ZX?  Would it be a better sound through the USB data cable for the Fulla 2 or through the speaker/headphone jack on the sound card?

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #374 of 1,697
A Soundblaster ZX is a card for installation into your PC, bundled with an external Headphone amp/volume control, and software.  It also supports 5.1 sound like most modern sound cards.  It's a completely different thing than a small stereo DAC/AMP which is targeted at quality sound - but mostly as a headphone amp for stereo listening.  So if you're looking to build a surround-sound environment on your gaming PC, the ZX (or something like it) is the way to go.  

The Schiit Fulla 2 is a small portable device that runs on power supplied by the USB data connection (if the connected device can do it).  I got it to improve on a 5 year old motherboard Realtek DAC on my PC, but ALSO I wanted something small to use with my phone to improve the sound of that device (or my Chromebook, or my laptop).  So it's very easy to use the FULLA 2 for great sound on any device connected via USB.  But there's no software unique to the FULLA 2.  It is a headphone amp and pre-amp.  It won't drive passive speakers directly.  

Schiit Audio uses high quality components to implement their hi-quality and useful designs.  I didn't see any detailed enough specs on the Creative ZX to compare.  If what you're looking for is good stereo headphone sound, the FULLA is a low cost way to get started.  And it can be used with any source device that can deliver a USB datastream to a host (PC, Phone, Laptop, Chromebook).  

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #375 of 1,697
Once I transitioned to some good imaging headphones (HD650) I found "surround sound" effects to be unnecessary. You will get better, more natural positioning in stereo. Skip the surround effects crap and keep it stereo. The HD650, HD598 and ATH AD900x are all headphones I've used for gaming that sound better and more accurate with pure stereo than surround effects. In games like Arma 3 I can hear the direction of helicopters coming in from 3+ kilometers away and call out the compass direction within 10°. Enemy footsteps from around walls/buildings and gunshots/snaps are even more accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back