Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #212 of 1,697
I have replacement units en-Route. This is one of the reasons working with a company that actually makes thier products is a wonderful thing. They can make these exchanges, replace any defective boards, and test non defective for resale. It's less than ideal for them considering at $99 shipping and labor are going to kill but being able to make the adjustments keeps people coming back.

Given that I have bought three of their amps, one of their DACs, and two of their... thingies, I think they're still more than ahead with me- even before all the units that I have probably caused third parties to buy. Making good stuff and treating people right goes a long way, your customers do a lot of your marketing for you :)

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #213 of 1,697
I ordered mine on the 12th, got the shipping delay email yesterday on the 14th, and just got my shipping confirmation today.  Not too bad.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #215 of 1,697
I read hundreds of posts I multiple Schiit threads and did not find clear info on what is going on. If it is not too much point me the info.

The post directly above your question post (i.e. the last post in the thread when you asked it) has a pretty good indication. Executive summary- hardware fault on some units, some existing units needed to be replaced due to not working on any Android or iOS devices.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #216 of 1,697
I received my Fulla 2. No issues with connecting it to my iPhone 6+ via USB, as long as the unit is powered first. The Fulla 2 cannot take power from devices. Time to order an Anker batt. This is going to be my travel unit and I'm liking it very much so far. :thumbsup_tone2:

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #217 of 1,697

Given that I have bought three of their amps, one of their DACs, and two of their... thingies, I think they're still more than ahead with me- even before all the units that I have probably caused third parties to buy. Making good stuff and treating people right goes a long way, your customers do a lot of your marketing for you :)

Jason is quite correct that as you double your price you quarter your sales; I think the same rule could apply to interest in a given product. The hottest threads are the ones which, given my MJ2 and Bimby, concern products I will never own. Nevertheless, hearing about Joty and Mimby is fascinating, and I think innovating at the low end has a much bigger upside than producing the Yggy 2.

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #218 of 1,697

Jason is quite correct that as you double your price you quarter your sales; I think the same rule could apply to interest in a given product. The hottest threads are the ones which, given my MJ2 and Bimby, concern products I will never own. Nevertheless, hearing about Joty and Mimby is fascinating, and I think innovating at the low end has a much bigger upside than producing the Yggy 2.

While I don't disagree with any of that, I'm struggling to see how it's related. It's all good, however!

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #219 of 1,697
Are there any real comparison articles/reviews between the Fiio E10K? Sound quality wise, that is. I know about the different interfaces and buttons, but apart from reading "This thing is amazing for its price!" for BOTH products all over the place, I see no indication which one is better than the other by direct comparison. Both are ultra cheap combined DAC/Amps at under 100€.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #220 of 1,697
  Are there any real comparison articles/reviews between the Fiio E10K? Sound quality wise, that is. I know about the different interfaces and buttons, but apart from reading "This thing is amazing for its price!" for BOTH products all over the place, I see no indication which one is better than the other by direct comparison. Both are ultra cheap combined DAC/Amps at under 100€.

Having heard both, I'd have to say that the Fulla 2 has it beaten hands down. It even makes sense, once you go back and poke at the specs, too. Although they're both just D/S DACs, the E10k is a PCM5102, while the Fulla 2 is a well-implemented design using a 4490, which is one of the better D/S DAC options. The Fulla 2 also outputs more power- for example, the E10K manages 200mW into 32 ohms, whereas the Fulla 2 can manage 360mW into 32 ohms.

The Fulla 2 is also a lot better with high Z cans, doing a surprisingly good job with even HD650s (for such a tiny, inexpensive unit). Using a couple of op-amps per channel clearly does good things. It really is a viable entry-level desktop unit to drive full-sized headphones. Yes, a full-sized mains powered amp will have it beaten, but at a multiple of the price.

The E10k was a very good budget device, but the Fulla 2 is just better engineered all-around (when.. it's not faulty
evil_smiley.gif
). It manages to pump out a surprising amount of that max 500mW that it's allowed to draw from USB power as good clean-sounding audio. You're not going to find a meaningful upgrade to it at anywhere near its price. Plus it has a big, smooth knob- and who doesn't love those?

Fiio has been justifiably popular in the "beginner" market for years, as they make cheap no-nonsense stuff that works pretty well. However, for the discriminating purchaser shopping for a "gateway drug" to give a friend or family a taste of "real" audio, or even as a cheap, clean headphone out for your work machine, Fulla 2 can't be beaten for the price.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #221 of 1,697

They're both going to sound good, so I'd suggest choosing based on features, appearance, where it's made (if that matters to you).

If you are trying to push 300ohm headphones the Fulla has more power.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #222 of 1,697
I already own the E10K, but due to some problems I've had with it I was playing with the idea of getting another device instead of just a replacement. Schiit gets promoted a lot on these forums, which is why I eventually landed at their website and got interested in the Fulla 2. I just really don't know if it's worth it. My headphones are the Philips Fidelio X2.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #223 of 1,697
Thanks for the comparison to the Fiio, but how does the Fulla 2 stack up against the SMSL M3 sound-wise?
to me, that'ts the real contender: small desktop amp with secondary USB power - and at least in Europe significantly cheaper than the Fulla (80€ compared to 110€ shipped)

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #224 of 1,697
  I already own the E10K, but due to some problems I've had with it I was playing with the idea of getting another device instead of just a replacement. Schiit gets promoted a lot on these forums, which is why I eventually landed at their website and got interested in the Fulla 2. I just really don't know if it's worth it. My headphones are the Philips Fidelio X2.

I think it's really a question of budgets. If you don't want to pay for a full-fat desktop setup, I think this is the best thing currently available at the price point, by quite a healthy margin. It's really not worth farting about with all the weird budget Chi-fi that pops up on Massdrop, asking "what about this one?"- as in that price bracket, there's nothing to touch it. Schiit are such smartarses sometimes.

(It also gives you a pretty interesting upgrade path- you could grab a Vali 2 with an 6CG7EH later, and plug it into the fixed DAC output, for a change of flavour, too- which would be hilariously cool and sound oddly good.)

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #225 of 1,697

Schiit gives you 15 days to decide for yourself...  At this price-point it's worth giving it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back